Latex Coated Foam

Jaerin

Why is this worse than foam completely covered in duct tape? I see so many cool weapon ideas, but they're always latex-coated foam.

If the weapon met the minimum requirements for foam thickness, foam coverage, and shape (no spikey bits, nothing that could get in an eye socket) would it still fail simply by being coated in a thin layer of something that is not duct tape?

For example:
sbfd-imperialwarhammer1_l.jpg

Jaerin said:
Why is this worse than foam completely covered in duct tape? I see so many cool weapon ideas, but they're always latex-coated foam.

If the weapon met the minimum requirements for foam thickness, foam coverage, and shape (no spikey bits, nothing that could get in an eye socket) would it still fail simply by being coated in a thin layer of something that is not duct tape?
Weapons usually get failed for reasons other than use of latex. For instance, the weapon you display there uses a solid foam head rather than an open cell one, which fails to meet Alliance's requirements. It also lacks a waylay tip, and an open cell top-tip. Also, the shaft doesn't have 5/8" of padding to the core.

Like I said, it doesn't fail based on the latex, it fails for other reasons.

Generally speaking, Alliance weapons favor function over form. While it is possible to get interesting designs that you can enjoy within the scope of what's allowed, you'll almost never get weapons that look as good as a number of other LARPs allow.

Ok cool.

I completely see the failures you mentioned, based on the above picture. Assuming that the components are correct, and that the foam is thick enough and located in all of the proper locations, it should still be possible to make a 2h Blunt that looks almost exactly like this (with additions as noted above), right?

if you make weapons that look like that but meet the safety guidelines and sell them to alliance players... you will make alot of money.

The one i posted was nearly $200 online. I have no idea how much work is involved, but the materials + work might not be worth it even as a side job, lmao.

A "waylay" tip is the chunk of open cell foam attached to the buttcap of the weapon. It varies in thickness depending on the type of weapon being built, but is never less than 2" in diameter and 2" thick.

Fearless Leader said:
Yeah, we chose safety over looks. Other LARPS choose differently.
What's the accident rate based on weapon design at other LARPs?

I'm not asking to be a putz, but I generally feel the "safety" chant has gone on for ages without anything beyond anecdotes that it's become dogma at this point. I'd love to be wrong and shown some form of study that clearly delineates Alliance combat as safer due to weapon design than other LARPs.

jpariury said:
What's the accident rate based on weapon design at other LARPs?

As an outsider, I feel it is a valid question. Particularly with constant harping on and on about 'staying in period garb' and 'being as authentic as possible', even to the point of making people who have a real beard wear an additional fake beard on top to show 'true dwarfy-ness'. Those boffers are as non-period and mood-destroying as running around in cut-off jeans and a tanktop with a presidential choice blazened across the chest =)

Mind you, I can totally understand saying "Boffers strike the balance point between form and function that we are comfortable with and prefer.", but that's worlds apart from "We're safe, they're not".

Jaerin said:
Those boffers are as non-period and mood-destroying as running around in cut-off jeans and a tanktop with a presidential choice blazened across the chest =)

that's a matter of opinion though as well. 12 years of playing alliance (formerly nero) with nothing but boffers and i never felt distracted by the weaponry in the slightest. in fact, i have seen it look more and more in period as the game evolved. there are some really talented foam smiths out there that make some good looking alliance - safe weapons. do they look as good as the latex? no, but they look good for foam/tape boffers.

Robb Graves said:
... there are some really talented foam smiths out there that make some good looking alliance - safe weapons. do they look as good as the latex? no, but they look good for foam/tape boffers.

That is what I like to hear =) Weapons that can actually look cool while being safe. I am all for safety, but I would like to bring at least some creativity to the table when designing things. Foam is infinitely sculpt-able, so I don't see why that cannot be used in its favor to make cool and safe boffers.

Iron leige does what tehy call hybrid weapons. They are shaped much like latex but have at leas the striking surface covered in cloth. They alsu usually have open cell heads and somtimes tips.

Best option though through them is to order a custom piece they can make it conform to alliance standards as latex is not specifically an issue. I had a hammer they made that wae pretty nice, it was custon cus I asked them for approriate thrusty and waylay tips as well as a cloth covered striking surface on the head of the hammer which was opencell as well.

It was approved in the chapters I went to but I did have to get it custom to meet standards.

At this point though I'de say especially for blunts you can get some fine looking weapons out of normal foam carving and cloth covers (I preffer cloth over duct personally for weight and it feels better) I might just take some pics of my current rebuild since my pipe foam finally arrived (all home depot and lowes carries is the scary neoprean stuff I had to get it shipped from a tru-value in arkansas)

Angrydurf said:
At this point though I'de say especially for blunts you can get some fine looking weapons out of normal foam carving and cloth covers (I preffer cloth over duct personally for weight and it feels better) I might just take some pics of my current rebuild since my pipe foam finally arrived (all home depot and lowes carries is the scary neoprean stuff I had to get it shipped from a tru-value in arkansas)

Haha,wow, I didn't realize it was that hard to come by! I would definitely be interested in seeing what you have come up with.

Oh my, I get to stand on my soapbox again! :)

First off, I make a variety of Alliance designed latex weaponry. You can see them at http://www.larping.net and follow the link to my latex work. To my knowledge, for the last 5 years any of my weapons made under the Alliance weapon construction guidelines has never failed inspection at an Alliance game. Note, however, that ANY weapon can be failed by a weapon's marshal and just because the ones I make I am able to use at my games does not mean that they would pass in another chapter - even if I follow all the rules to the letter.

Now, the only reason I can find that a latex coating isn't allowed is that in very cold weather, the latex will become harder than duct tape or cloth. This adds a certain rigidity to the weapon and makes a very hard striking surface. If you add that to the sword designs of latex weapons (having a thin edge), that can cause some major injuries. I asked the makers in the UK what they do to combat this issue and they say "we just fight a bit more careful in winter." But as their games involve a very low hit point system (often one-three valid hits dropping someone) whereas the Alliance rules is about hitting your opponent as quickly as possible, such safety isn't practical with the general playerbase.

I have done the best I could in researching LARPing injuries due to weapons. I spent 6 months contact both major and minor groups to see what they had to report. The worst injury I heard about was from an Alliance player where one of the swords at a winter event where they were allowed (not Alliance) wound up tearing his ear and opened up a cut between the ear and the skull. Meanwhile someone broke his rib and I think punctured his lung with it when he fell on an Alliance style dagger. Other than that, I have received no reports about any injury caused by latex weapons that caused someone to have to leave an event to seek medical attention.

I have played in Alliance and NERO games that have allowed and that haven't allowed latex weapons and I have received more debilitating (painful) injuries via the boffer weapons than the latex ones. I have even received the infamous 'sword point to the eye' a couple of times with a latex weapon and all it resulted in was me sitting out of the combat until my eye stopped tearing. The same has been true for those times I've been hit in the head or eye with a boffer weapon.

In my opinion, latex weapons are no more dangerous than boffer ones. In fact, I find them safer due to them having less mass and thereby greater control and generally lighter impacts. But really, it all comes down to the person wielding them. With Alliance though, the boffers are probably the better choice.

markusdark said:
The worst injury I heard about was from an Alliance player where one of the swords at a winter event where they were allowed (not Alliance) wound up tearing his ear and opened up a cut between the ear and the skull.

Holy crap! :eek: . Was he using a real sword padded with foam? I've played Amtgard for 14 years and the worst I have personally seen is a busted tooth, some black eyes, and someone getting knocked out.

B~>

Unsure said:
markusdark said:
The worst injury I heard about was from an Alliance player where one of the swords at a winter event where they were allowed (not Alliance) wound up tearing his ear and opened up a cut between the ear and the skull.

Holy crap! :eek: . Was he using a real sword padded with foam? I've played Amtgard for 14 years and the worst I have personally seen is a busted tooth, some black eyes, and someone getting knocked out.

B~>

No, he wasn't. It was a foam sword made out of closed cell foam and a carbon fiber core, sculpted to look like a real sword - so it came to a dull but prominent edge. However, with the cold latex hardened, as well as his cold skin being less flexible, when he caught a downward swing on the ear, the ear pulled and tore a small gash into the flesh between the ear and skull. Although such an injury is possible with just about any weapon - boffer or latex - the edge between the ear and the head just made it that much easier. But, as head shots are illegal in every LARP I know of, the mistake IMO was the fact that the combatant didn't have the skill or sense to pull the shot when the head got in the way of the swing (or not aim at the head) and not that the weapon was at fault.

Back