Laws in progress

Good Citizens of Briarpass,

I will be entertaining discussions on the laws of Briarpass in the next few weeks. Changes to those laws will be made through me.

I know some points were raise when I first made these available to all of you last year. What else needs to be discussed?

Keep in mind, the laws of wayside are not negotiable and I will not be discussed here. We are concerning ourselves with the laws of Briarpass.

Effram Rockfist

Effram,

your sheriff has vanished for these laws to be enforced you must elect a new official and not simply pass the buck off to us to decide. your sheriff is gone and apparently has no plans of returning or if he does come back one wonders if it will be for a market day here and there. Law clearly needs to be enforced every single market day by some one who can carry about the punishments.

It would be a shame to elect a sheriff that can be swatted out of the air like those annoying bugs in the middle of the summer.

In addition,
Are the laws of Arbor also enacted upon the residents of Briarpass? it seems there is a disconnect between the two. as if I'm a resident of Briarpass I don't follow the laws of Arbor. Laws cannot be left up to interruptions corruption and abuse come from that. they need to be clear distinct and concise. It is this reason Magistrates, Seneschals and Solicitors are around.

in the world of Guilds running these lands I am not sure the equivalent of a Solicitor or if you all have a Seneschal.. but some one to write the laws pass them through some one who is versed in tearing those words apart and making them clean and accurate. Vague broad stroking laws are bad for all involved.

khale,

i understand your point about how officials that are "unable" to carry out their duties. However i believe our current sherrif ashland is more than capable of performing his duties, and since he was chosen by the very peoples that he would then sheriff over the need for force is diminished. as lady celeste once said to me "blast it Cazik! i said Reason with him not stab holes in his clothes!"

and as just me throwing more of my two copper about, a sheriff that is overwilling to "punish" then they may findthemselves out of a job and the town would again be without a sherrif. and since i vacation in these lands that would mean it would be difficult for me to safly bathe in the nude without fear of some ruffian laughing and guffauing and what i "lack in masculinty"

-Cazik yes-

in that i understand. but even when in invading host is near there are still other things that might make me think to myself, "they can handle it i really need to take this week off that last fight with those trolls really beat me up."

and perhaps the sheriif could have a deputy that would be acting sheriff just until he gets back. and it would be great if i could remember where to send my pigeon to find ashland, do you know khale?

(oog: or anyone i dont know what his screenname is)

-Cazik yes-

((I'm not sure his email addy or IM or anything I've long since deleted it))

Cazik,
Its again all about being present.. even in this dream plane I've not seen his words but maybe twice. It is nigh impossible to assign a position to some one when the assigner isn't around. This again is why I think it is up to Effram to decide what is best for this small hamlet.

When the person needed to take action is absent it is up to his superior to take up the reigns and do the job.

New Law:

Public Endangerment - If you bring harm to the town or to any other citizenry by way of your actions. Being controlled by alchemical, magical or alternative means in which you lose control of your person you are presumed to be innocent of this crime should you be sentenced. Criminals who bring harm to the town or populace that cast a controlling effect upon themselves are found guilty immediately.

The first offense for this is we typically removed all their coin and items that can be normally crafted with the exception of spellbooks and weaponry including armor

The second offense was loss of all property. a normal sword, shield, armor and spellbook are given to the criminal

The Third offense is death

I know this doesnt fit your criteria for laws but it worked wonders funding the sheriff enforcing the laws.

Back