Legerdermain kit

Dom

Scout
Putting one together and looking for ideas on items to put in it. Keep in mind I live in NY so lockpicking tools are out of the question.

Dental tools or putty sculpting tools will at least look the part ...

I'll save you the 'Lockpicks in NY aren't illegal' speech, since in my experience people are going to believe what they want regardless of what the law really is, and suggest the following:

Small folding pair of scissors. You can probably get them at a craft store.
Strong twine, for when you figure out you shouldn't have cut that last line.
Lightweight, bright colored piece of yarn, for drooping in front of you to bend at tripwires you didn't see.
Chemlight/glowstick/whatever, and a tag for it. You'd be surprised how often people forget that last part.
Cheap-o pocket multi-tool. You want a knife, a screwdriver, and a bottle opener.
Little mirror on a rod. You can get these as dental tools or sometimes at electronics shops.
Long, flat metal thing. Really flat, but rigid. For holding down things you can't reach because they're inside boxes you can't open.
Small assortment of fasteners - Rubber band, clips, pincher guys, whatever. I occasionally find myself wishing I had something on hand to hold something else (usually one of my tools) in place.
Electrical tape. You'll use it.

Thank you for the ideas. My kit's just about complete.

Also, Just saying:

Consolidated Laws of New York - PEN Title I - Article 140 - Section 140.35 - Possession of burglar's tools.A person is guilty of possession of burglar's tools when he possesses any tool, instrument or other article adapted, designed or commonly used for committing or facilitating offenses involving forcible entry into premises, or offenses involving larceny by a physical taking, or offenses involving theft of services as defined in subdivisions four, five and six of section 165.15, under circumstances evincing an intent to use or knowledge that some person intends to use the same in the commission of an offense of such character.Possession of burglar's tools is a class A misdemeanor.

Yep, not illegal unless you're doing something illegal.
People always ignore that last part, that's why I quit having that argument with people.

obcidian_bandit said:
Yep, not illegal unless you're doing something illegal.
People always ignore that last part, that's why I quit having that argument with people.

To be fair, there are plenty of counties out there that, while they aren't illegal, just having them is considered intent by the officers who pull you over and search your stuff. See the SF lock policy.

A few things for your Rouges kit. Not all pertaining to lock picking but very useful.

You can skip the scissors and get yourself a sturdy pair of toenail clippers. These wonderful things will cut anything you come across from fishing line to Tigers tail ( a very thin steel braided jewelers wire that I happen to love).

Wooden tounge depressors can substitute in most cases for a long flat ridgid metal rod. But if you must have metal then go to any hardware store and buy a length of flat steel about 1/2" wide and 12" long. Stay away from alluminum or tin they are too flexible and probably wond work as excpected. Also in many cases the long blade of a razor knife we all probably own for carving foam often works.

Thumbtacks are also very useful for those pesky reverse tention traps. You can stik it in the wall floor ect and cut your line then tie it around the tack.

Baby power to detect oils and pastes for those evil bastards like me who put them on boxes and locks. Simple pour some in your hand and blow the powder across a surface. If it has a residue of paste or oil ( as it should have) then it will adhere to it.

Since we require Reps for everything (as it should be) then two things of chapstick one labled Oil one paste are great items for tormenting would be rouges who try to lay their hands on your goods.

A small set of needle files and narrow thin flat steel stock can also be useful for actually making keys on the spot. Many of the locks we find in game are simple luggage locks and other than one or two small varriations the locks are similar and as such the same home made key can be used often.

I might say moree but I want to keep some secrets for myself.

I was actually excited to see a post about legerdemain kits! I just saved up the build to purchase that recently on one of my characters and have been trying to find "in period" looking things. Granted some of those items are awesome but I doubt they could have been forged in a medeival way. Don't get me wrong I'm not judging but I was looking for more...rough looking things?

One thing that may be important to have is a tiny bit of clay wrapped in wax some how..In case your paste of stickiness isn't working :D

Half of the traps you'll come across in game have a battery and wiring (the other half are mousetraps), so you're never going to have a totally non-anachronistic experience with traps. Useful is better in this circumstance.

Mouse traps and buzzers are the most common mostly because we can't physically create, or safely create the types of traps that would exist in the Alliance world.
What we can do is spice up the traps we do have. Consider adding counter balances to your traps to change the mechanics of its operation Or a time delay by using a slowly leaking bottle of water or sand. Remember the noise maker part of the trap is only one small and actually insignificant part of the whole. The noise it makes or doesn't make is only an indicator of success or failure.
Imagine a doorway covered in so many string you can't get through and just out of reach is a mouse trap that's held open by the string. If you cut it it snaps. This is a reverse tension trap because its held open against the tension of the mouse trap spring.
So cut the line the tension is released the trap snaps. But there's so many strings in the way which do you cut and where? Now add false leads more than one string on the trap or even more than one trap.

That's just one simple example. There is almost no limit to how you can complicate a simple trap.

But there is a trap many forget about. The Dead Fall.
There are a few people out there in the Alliance whom have had the misfortune of one of my traps literally dropping a mattress on them.

So use your imagination and enjoy.

jonwquigley said:
Mouse traps and buzzers are the most common mostly because we can't physically create, or safely create the types of traps that would exist in the Alliance world.
What we can do is spice up the traps we do have. Consider adding counter balances to your traps to change the mechanics of its operation Or a time delay by using a slowly leaking bottle of water or sand. Remember the noise maker part of the trap is only one small and actually insignificant part of the whole. The noise it makes or doesn't make is only an indicator of success or failure.
Imagine a doorway covered in so many string you can't get through and just out of reach is a mouse trap that's held open by the string. If you cut it it snaps. This is a reverse tension trap because its held open against the tension of the mouse trap spring.
So cut the line the tension is released the trap snaps. But there's so many strings in the way which do you cut and where? Now add false leads more than one string on the trap or even more than one trap.

That's just one simple example. There is almost no limit to how you can complicate a simple trap.

The problem, of course, is that the general trap-opening method in many places is 'hand all your stuff to the healer, go kick it, get a cure light'.

As long as a level one spell can effectively counter any trap that a PC could build, there's not much reason to overcomplicate the triggers.

jonwquigley said:
But there is a trap many forget about. The Dead Fall.
There are a few people out there in the Alliance whom have had the misfortune of one of my traps literally dropping a mattress on them.

So use your imagination and enjoy.

As I recall, don't the rules actually make rigging a deadfall impossible for a PC?

Alliance Rulebook said:
Massive Mechanical Traps: Massive mechanical
traps represent collapsing ceilings,
rockfalls, giant scythes, and other such contraptions.
They are completely immoveable and
have a minimum size of 3’ by 3’ by 3’.
Anyone struck by any part of the trap when
it goes off takes the full damage of the trap.
Massive mechanical traps must be rebuilt after
they are set off and cannot be re-armed.
Massive mechanical traps are usually represented
with pillows, plastic trash bags filled
with newspapers, and other soft items.

Bolding mine. Would this not imply that if you're walking around with a massive mechanical rep, you are in fact doing it wrong?

Wraith said:
The problem, of course, is that the general trap-opening method in many places is 'hand all your stuff to the healer, go kick it, get a cure light'.

As long as a level one spell can effectively counter any trap that a PC could build, there's not much reason to overcomplicate the triggers.

Unless of course there is a reason to not set off the trap. Like stuff (Feel free to insert a complaint about how any good treasure that you would find would not be destroyed y the trap anyway because the magic item system/treasure policy is broken... I know you want to... ;-)) or to remove the possibility of an ambush (as in "Don't set off the trap it'll wake up the guards), for two possibilities.

tieran said:
Wraith said:

Unless of course there is a reason to not set off the trap. Like stuff (Feel free to insert a complaint about how any good treasure that you would find would not be destroyed y the trap anyway because the magic item system/treasure policy is broken... I know you want to... ;-)) or to remove the possibility of an ambush (as in "Don't set off the trap it'll wake up the guards), for two possibilities.

Those are excellent reasons not to kick it, and why my main both has ledgerdemain and -uses- it. Freaked several of the Order of the Emerald Flame out at the last national by sticking a noisemaker trap on the cabin door. (Easiest trap ever. Bell on a rope, attach to door handle on the inside, shut in door so the bell is on the outside. When door opens, there is a clatter.)

Back