Let's Be Excellent

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Hey folks,

I can’t help but feel that there has been a distinctly toxic opinion of PC nobles beginning to spread in the chapter starting in the last month, even to the point that players that did not attend recent events (or even attend the chapter entirely) are beginning to solidify a negative opinion on them.

PC nobles might not be perfect, and characters can certainly disagree with or dislike them, but we are quickly approaching an environment of gossiping and flat-out out-of-game bullying, and if there are any things every LARP game doesn’t need, it’s those. Noble or not, nobody needs that in their lives, especially during their fun foam-weapon-filled weekends.

I’m going to be honest here: I’m a little scared to play Silp at the upcoming event because of how I might be treated by other players. Even if I wasn’t a PC noble, I would still believe that nobody should feel apprehension about attending a game because of how they fear other players will treat them.

I’ve seen the great things this chapter and its players can do, and I’ve been really disappointed about how things have been feeling the last month or so. I simply ask that if you find yourself engaging in some kind of bad-talking, you step back, breathe, and find a way to make the game better rather than dragging things down. I’m not staff, and I’m not asking this as a PC noble; I’m asking this because our events should be welcoming, engaging places where players have fun, and we all are a part of making that happen. Let’s make that happen. :)

Be excellent, y’all. You in?

Thanks,
Alexander

I feel garwon is not much of a fan of nobility as a concept in general, he has not disdain to pc nobles. In fact more pc nobles have earn his respect, it is the npcs he really does not like. That being said out of game I have no problem with anyone. I have a feeling you are not necessarily talking about me specifically, but just wanted to put my 2 cents out there.

Garwon Tel'Morko

While I honestly do not want to address this I am going to.

I am only addressing it as IN GAME my character has found issue with some nobles .

Those issues are all IN GAME due to IN GAME actions.

I do not interact with any of the pc nobles out of game. At all.

The fact this is in the out of game section is confusing.

PC Nobles and PCs made actions in game and other PCs reacted to them... that is the nature of the game.

PC nobles and PCs in general do not get to do things in game and then have negative reactions to it and then say they are sacred or feel bullied — maybe their character is having issues but none of this has anything to with players.

I am sorry if there is a weird bleed for players but anything done in game is based off IN GAME actions and is not an excuse to ask for others to be nice to you out of game.

I know for myself I have not spoken to any pc nobles aside from one who asked to speak out of game ... out of game ... let alone in a negative manner.

The issue is not an out of game issue and does not need to be addressed out of game .

The fact is that pc nobles are held to a higher standard because they signed an agreement to be held to that... when they are the ones ruining other players games they should be made aware of it. In fact one of the reasons I gave up my ladyship is because I know I cannot attend the required number of games for a pc noble.

I personally have no issues out of game with any players I have not addressed directly to them- and that was one player.

In game - well of corse my character has issues with other players - that is how the game plays out.

It boils down to in game - people are not all gonna get along and when things happen PCs will react IN GAME.

This bleed is confusing as we are all adults and understand in and out of game.

- Nette

In the interests of being excellent to one another, let's all just assume that Annete's response was intended as, "hey, I know tensions are kinda high right now, but rest assured it's all in-game and I don't have any out-of-game issues with any of you guys. If I have any issues with PC nobles I'll take it up with staff and/or the people that play said nobles."

This was a general reminder to keep things civil because we have a solid community that plays a fun game together, not an indictment of anybody's actions. Be excellent, y'all.

Perhaps my caps and my format were problematic - I apologize for that.

Out of game I agree the chapter is best served by out of game unity- I completely agree with that!

However - I do not think there is any place to accept there is bleed and we need to adjust for it. We need to try to remove as much bleed as possible.

I as a player - love all you all, even if we do not interact , out of game you all are awesome
People and I hope the absolute best for you!

As a character - some of you all have annoyed me lol

Out of game I think my 4-5 years of help and support speak for themselves - none of that changed due to in game stuff :)

So yes Kyle is right- be excellent ya all!

-Nette

Separating the in-game and out-of-game nature of this all is indeed very important. I'm glad to see that you understand that, and I want to let you know that I also understand this. :) I think a big portion of ensuring that we keep a strong, pleasant community is that folks check in with each other more on an out-of-game level after things get tense in-game, confirming with each other that things are fine out-of-game (or if things aren't fine out-of-game, coming to an appropriate resolution rather than just letting it fester and grow). You said yourself that you don't interact with the PC nobles out-of-game at all, Annette, so perhaps that might be something to work on following some of the more tense moments going forward to help ensure things aren't badly bleeding. :)

A main thing I'm talking about is the general goal that players should have a good time at LARP events. That is not to say that everyone must always be completely nice to each other in-game all the time, but I fundamentally believe that players should remember that being argumentative and accusatory towards a person rarely makes that person have a good time long-term. After all, nobody comes to a LARP event to have a bad time, and even if they completely understand that the strife is all in-game, it still can boil down to an unpleasant experience overall if they spend significant portions of the game being scolded/insulted/etc. Have conflict, but that conflict shouldn't completely shut down a player's fun for the day/weekend.

When I say that I'm hesitant to attend as a PC noble, it's less of a concern of me taking players' in-game actions and negatively internalizing them out-of-game (that I don't worry about - ain't nobody can make me feel worse about me than I can!) as it is that being constantly berated makes for a pretty lousy weekend overall. Folks would rather have fun when they come to LARP, otherwise I'm certain there are a whole lot of other things they could spend their time and money doing. That's what I mean when I say bullying; players making other folks have a bad time out-of-game, not necessarily that they are insulting the out-of-game player (though that certainly is not acceptable).

That's fundamentally the thing I'm looking for us to work on. Hopefully that makes sense? Feel free to have some conflict with other characters, but remember to pull it back before it starts making the other player want to go home (or wish they stayed home). Good player culture is key! Even when things are tense, let's remember to treat each other like friends, and friends don't ruin other friends' events. (In short: Be excellent. :) )

I am not going to add much to this thread as I think Alexander has summed up my opinion nicely.

Just remember we are a community and all here to have fun. IG is IG and OOG is OOG! But sometimes OOG choices should be made to do IG things that make the game better. This can be a difficult concept. Acknowledging when something has played out for instance and dropping it is important or deciding not to do something your PC may well do but is not a must do.

Example: My PC Kitaruen has often not stolen or pvp'd when he certainly would have because Rob made a conscious choice to better the game. And when he has done something that was bad or negative to others. I Rob would preface it with an OOG chat to make sure folks where good on an OOG level. IN one case I checked before and after the action in question.

There is no perfect, only striving towards better!

Good player culture is key and anyone who needs information about what that really means should reach out via PM to me. Or Alexander (aka Gandian Ravenscroft) as I have no doubt his views echo my own.

With that said, everyone lets just keep stuff IG and have some fun!!! See you all in just over a week!!!

End of the Day BE EXCELLENT, YA'ALL

Back