Looking for aesthetic help: Western, but not steampunk

Willem Rivet

Artisan
Hey all. I'm JT. I played a couple of farmer and rancher NPCs over the regional game and I'm wondering if I can do a tasteful "western" outfit that doesn't look silly wielding a sword. I'm thinking almost Firefly in execution. Something that has muted earth tones and says "Stardew Valley" before it says "steampunk". Anyone have any ideas for me to grab inspiration from?

My initial thoughts are light-brown suspenders over an earth-tone shirt, with brownish slacks, boots, and that leather hat I was so fond of at the event. My fear is that you add a potion bandolier in there and the whole thing goes steampunk quickly. Nothing against steampunk, but that's not the note I'm trying to hit.

I've done a LOT of tunics and doublets, and I think I want to try something new.

Halp.

-JT

Poncho.

More recommendations to come

*Edit: Vests. All of them, forever. Especially tweed. Add a hard leather pouch to a side and circular glasses, and you've got yourself a snakeoil salesman
You'll probably want button ups under the vests. Neutral tone scarves and bandanas are a good addition too. You could look for inspiration from civil war era cavalry for more of the sword-wielding types.

Last edited:
Poncho.

More recommendations to come

*Edit: Vests. All of them, forever. Especially tweed. Add a hard leather pouch to a side and circular glasses, and you've got yourself a snakeoil salesman
You'll probably want button ups under the vests. Neutral tone scarves and bandanas are a good addition too. You could look for inspiration from civil war era cavalry for more of the sword-wielding types.
I'm looking at the tweed, and it just seems really warm for larping clothes. It might make for better autumn wear, but the summers would be dehydration station. And the ones I'm seeing look too modern. Even the old-timey ones.

I think any kind of ferrier gear, or blacskmith gear is sufficiently cross genre to work

Your big problem is gonna be that Western is steampunk just less fantasy and more American. They have very similar style choices in clothing so its easy to make one into the other. I would have to ask more of what you are looking for character wise than style wise.

The more Americana and Frontier West you look, the less you'll fall into the standard patterns of Victorian Steampunk. Lotsa of check patterns, broad-cloth, denim, Stetson hats, rough leather etc. Most of the Steampunk fashion is far more European in its drift. I agree with Anna: it's a fairly subtle difference, especially in men's fashion which is far less articulated and diverse

Last edited:
Not big on patterns, myself. Might go with the suspenders, dark denim jeans, rough earth-tone shirt. Might go with the type of pants that have the suspender things built in...make it less modern-looking that way. Then start looking at how I can modify that to fit into the world: potion bandolier or maybe bandolier pouch (containing potions+).

Maybe I just give in and go steampunk? Is that so against what we're going for? My guy is a high-class crafter guy. Maybe going whole hog and just embracing the steampunk aesthetic. I like fancy vests. Why not?

I've been a part of the Atlanta Steampunk community since its inception here. Key Steampunk aesthetics are brown tones with brass and copper parts and pieces. Googles and cogs are also prevalent. Top hats, psuedo-medals, monocles, and high heeled victorian styled shoes all come together to embrace the aesthetic. If you are worried you can always look at the pictures from weird west con, as that is a wild west steampunk convention. Good luck! - David https://www.wildwestcon.com

So after talking with some folks and seeing all those sweet pictures, I'm going to fuse those ideas into an "outdoorsy artisan". Thinking brown tones, pouches, some sewn bits for potions, maybe an earth-tone vest. Not looking to copper or cog it up, but definitely "survival of the fitted-est". This kinda depends on 2.0 vs 2.1, as I'm a Fighter in 2.0, so I'll only really explore this in playtests unless we get a Spiritforge. Or until I nab myself one. New goal acquired, I guess. I'll wait to see how that shakes out first.

Thanks for all your help guys!

-JT

Back