Looking For Hakama

Gunnar

Squire
I know a bunch of east coasters use them. I was wondering where you get them from and how much they run? Because I'm looking for one ...

-Ali

Only dark elves originally from Tyrra should wear hakamas. All the rest of you are poser wannabes. ;)

Martial arts supply stores. I think the cheapest run $30-$40. The cheapest ones are...well..cheap.

I got my newest one from a vendor at Pennsic. They make their own out of much more durable materials, and I think they were only $30. They also carried a lot of vintage kimono tops and make killer tights. I unfortunately don't remember their name and they may not have a website. But Pennsic is in a little over two weeks so I can find out.

Duke Frost said:
Only dark elves originally from Tyrra should wear hakamas. All the rest of you are poser wannabes. ;)

Or trained with them. ;)

Hakama are an excellent choice for the beginning tailor to expand one's skill.

http://folkwear.com/151.html

A cotton twill is a good choice as more traditional materials are harder and more expensive to come by. Enough material can often be found in the "Red Tag" section of a local Joann's and can sometimes be had for $5/ yard. Any sewing machine will do. Take your time. Cut and sew straight. Press everything. For a slightly more custom look while still remaining extremely cost effective apply seam binding or a decorative trim of your choice to all the seams and hems. Remember this is a learning experience that will generate you a cool and functional costume addition. If you screw something up, take it apart and try again.

You may also want to note that cotton twill takes well to waterproofing sprays.

And should Scott decide to harass you about "originally" just remind him that Hakama are "originally" from Edo Japan not Tyrra. And that was like circa 1615, which is older than even him.

--Chazz

Chazz said:
Hakama are an excellent choice for the beginning tailor to expand one's skill.

And should Scott decide to harass you about "originally" just remind him that Hakama are "originally" from Edo Japan not Tyrra. And that was like circa 1615, which is older than even him.

--Chazz

I'm aware they are Japanese, I was very obviously referring to their IG origins from way back before you even considered larping.

Scott

Ali,

I have a spare machine right here in front of me. You are welcome to borrow it for as long as you like.

--Chazz

Back