Loot

So I was wondering in other chapters how common is mundane loot as far as the loot policy.
I ask because in my local chapter it is rare, I know most people want all kinds of magic crap for their characters, but I would love to see some more mundane stuff like Weapons, armor, vases, a wagon etc.

I know the argument is that putting production based loot hurts the PC production's, as such it is rarely seen locally.

and as far as it hurting blacksmiths putting out a strengthened weapon/armor, what about a magic sword that lasts for a year, how many swords would a fighter go through in that amount of time, especially in a chapter like my local one where seems like every other mob is tossing or swinging shatter or destroy of some variety. I have heard of a guy going through 14 weapons in one fight due to shatter effects

A strengthened sword would only be useful verse 2 effects and third one would wack it. so magic weapons hurt pc smiths way more then strengthened or regular.
Plus it seems like most loot (again locally) really tends to favor the caster classes, like components and ritual scrolls up the wahzoo

Most loot I've colected was in the form of money and potions.

Occasionally I get scrolls, components, and weapon tags.

Rarely do I find and super weapons (magical, strenghtened, etc), uber magical object, or armor tags.

Jim

at HQ, I've had a good range. i have found weapons of all types, arrows, bolts, silvered stuff, strengthened stuff, magic stuff, coin, rit scrolls, components, green tag items, weird plot stuff. just depends where and when you play i guess.

Same for AllianceCT generally most loot found is production, coin and components.

Robb Graves said:
at HQ, I've had a good range. i have found weapons of all types, arrows, bolts, silvered stuff, strengthened stuff, magic stuff, coin, rit scrolls, components, green tag items, weird plot stuff. just depends where and when you play i guess.
Wow in officially jealous, I would love to see dynamic loot like that. Btw what is green tag items ? not used out here, or if it is i have not seen anything green tagged

we have green tags that represent IG items with value but that can't really be repped. "an old boot" value = 1cp there's also bigger stuff like. "a war horse" value = 10 gold or whatever, but obviously you don't find war horses as loot. the green tags are just used that way to represent those things and allows for more IG commerce and trade. i love finding useless crap like that personally. i have been trying to figure out how to get HQ to allow more non-magical repped items into the game. like earrings that have a number and a value, but are not magical at all. you see some of that stuff, but not enough in my opinion.

of coarse if i want to go off on a totally unrelated tangent, I also think wizards should be able to flaw there own magic items they are creating on purpose. i want to see more racist/classist/sexist/etc. items.

I once had a Magic item that acted as a Threshold but would only work on those who practiced Celestial Magic.

Jim

I've always wanted to send out a 30 point arcane suit that was repped by a burlap sack with arm and head holes with "POtAToE" painted on the front and a bullseye on the back with the flaw "Must be worn outside of all clothing and armor." Basically some wizard got annoyed at fighters always bogarting the rit sticks.
-toddo

These are awesome... *sketches down Ideas* keep em comming. :)

Toddo said:
I've always wanted to send out a 30 point arcane suit that was repped by a burlap sack with arm and head holes with "POtAToE" painted on the front and a bullseye on the back with the flaw "Must be worn outside of all clothing and armor." Basically some wizard got annoyed at fighters always bogarting the rit sticks.
-toddo
Wow I would so love that ! not a big magic item guy, but omg that would be so cool i would even wear it oog

I had collected a set of magic carpets that increased in power the more of the set were touching eachother. One had a couple low level spells (2 cure lights and a Bless, I thnk), where it had a life spell, circle of power, and magic storm if all 5 were in contact.

And yes, you had to stand on them to use them.

I've also been on a mod where the entirety of "loot" from it was about a dozen or so (I think) "wine" bottles filled with a variety of beverages (Gateorade, Water, Root Beer, Etc), each labeled as a different vintage and producer and each tagged with a different value.

So, yes, it's quite possible to get all sorts of different types of loot out there.

For the record, Viking, there has been a good amount of 'common' stuff in our game as loot. I have come across suits of armor, swords, arrows and such like. This last game, there was a little figurine (aka D&D Mini) of a "MWE Necromancer" (AKA female tiefling warlock) that my guy bought because A - he's a MWE himself and 2 - Because it was his first real 'military action' he took part in and wanted a cool souviner for it.

Now, I have told our plot people that I can cast pewter so I would love it if more of said figurines made it into the game and at one point, they all had to be melted down to form a talisman to do some great thing. Of course, people don't want to give up their cool stuff like this but still, it would rock (IMO that is).

markusdark said:
For the record, Viking, there has been a good amount of 'common' stuff in our game as loot. I have come across suits of armor, swords, arrows and such like. This last game, there was a little figurine (aka D&D Mini) of a "MWE Necromancer" (AKA female tiefling warlock) that my guy bought because A - he's a MWE himself and 2 - Because it was his first real 'military action' he took part in and wanted a cool souviner for it.
I have never seen any mundane loot in our game, nor have the people i have asked. not saying it is not there, just not often. and most of it is tied to some greater purpose not just some crap in a pouch that some guy has collected. hell if i wack some bandit or orc maybe i want his boots or his shirt etc. im poor and dont take gold or magic stuff. maybe i need a new shirt?

lol come to think of it I am kinda fond of kon's shirt..... lol jk mark

I know i know shut up and loot the gold. sorry not my style

When running plot up in Oregon, I made a point to put out at least one random bit of crap loot for comedic value every game. Things like a bag lunch, a rubber band collection, bottle of wine, a dented cup, a pocket lint collection (it was like the size of a baseball), and goblin love poetry. I remember the poem: "Roses red, daisies white. Me write words, get sex tonight!" It was all curled up and tied with some really tattered ribbon. The PC's thought it was gonna be some ancient wisdom, it was priceless.

Don't neglect the value of random comedic crap people! :D

Maxondaerth said:
When running plot up in Oregon, I made a point to put out at least one random bit of crap loot for comedic value every game. Things like a bag lunch, a rubber band collection, bottle of wine, a dented cup, a pocket lint collection (it was like the size of a baseball), and goblin love poetry. I remember the poem: "Roses red, daisies white. Me write words, get sex tonight!" It was all curled up and tied with some really tattered ribbon. The PC's thought it was gonna be some ancient wisdom, it was priceless.

Don't neglect the value of random comedic crap people! :D
That is ancient wisdom !!

I must agree that is great wisdom. Oddly enough no one has mentioned gas packets. I only bring it up because the first event I went to in NJ I got 2 paralysis gases. A question for the logistics people:

Does anyone take into account the skills of the players attending an event and then determine loot accordingly? That way if let's say there was a blacksmith convention and all the blacksmith players showed up would plot cut down the amount of weapon/armor drops?

It would make sense if it worked that way. Obviously in the above example there would have to be some weapon/armor drops but if it was reduced the players would have to rely on the players attending that had the skill.

The only thing I would try to take into account was what would make sense for the NPC to have and try to make that work when possible. Yes, you can rationalize having a suit of armor on a bear (it was in his gut from the last guy he ate) but if it's humanoids, give em what they're using anyway. Casters carry scrolls, fighters potions and weapons, rogues some gasses and maybe a trap or two. That sort of thing. I personally greatly prefer a world that is dependent only on how the world is, not on who happens to walk into what cave at which moment, scaling being an exception and even then I only defer to doing that because it's the way the owners I work for want it, otherwise that howlbear in that cave would never magically become a gnoll just because lowbies walked in, and vice versa. But I'm a little intense that way :D.

We try our best to make treasure make sense.

For instance, in an event where the enemy is an army of biata, don't expect to find many celestial scrolls or items as treasure. We try to make sure that if someone has a short sword as treasure, they are actually using a short sword in battle. Components are placed as logically as possible on monsters whenever we can.

The last time I actually wrote an ran a weekend (whew, it's been a while) I got all the magical items ready beforehand and wrote small plots for each one and assigned them to specific NPCs who would use them logically (if they were daily items).

Other times, instead of putting treasure on monsters, we would have NPCs buying troll ears or goblin brains (walnuts painted green) or otherwise give the monsters green tags for pelts and so on that the PCs can later sell to merchants.

All this, of course, takes extra time and preparation that we cannot always do -- if you have limited volunteers and time, then writing great events and making props and costumes for important NPCs is more important. But when it can be done, it just adds to the game!

Robb Graves said:
obviously you don't find war horses as loot.
Like hell I don't. One chapter ran an encounter with some enemy caravan rolling through town... everyone went hell-mell over the scrolls, coin, and usual stuff, while I took care of "getting rid of the evidence" by securing all the horses and wagons off in some other direction. Those tags got me yangloads of opportunity to work out off-stage deals, and slowly were sold off in later years for merchant ships and the like.

Its fairly rare that we get random "stuff" loot usually its strait production Items or magic Items or coin. But we do get a fair chunk of Production Items. there are almost always potions/scroll/alchemy in the loot pile. I will also say that despite the commoness of shatter/destroy effects I still haven't sold any replacement weapons except for when a PC shattered another PCs weapon and wanted to replace it. I think a fair bit of weapons are going out they are just getting collected to distribute to peoples whos stuff gets broke.

Back