Lost scrolls and potions

markusdark

Knight
Hello everyone. This is Kon, the bartender with the cane. I just wanted to say that I quite enjoyed meeting you all recently and wanted to address something that transpired. I had found that my Artisan Battle Rod that contained 20 curative potions and almost 40 various protective and purification scrolls had been taken. I had left it on the top of the bar and mentioned to more than one person that if they had a need for it, feel free to take what you needed. After all, that is why I created them with my crafting abilities. As someone who doesn't get around too well, I found that my energies during massive engagements is best served behind behind the battle and helping with the healing.

The rod was recovered but it was stripped bare. Although I may have said a few things due to a lack of sleep, once I was rested, I realized how great it was that someone else took it upon themselves to fill the role that I normally do in helping to heal those injured in a fight and get them back onto the front lines to fight the evils that we encounter. Making sure that our warriors continue the combat until our enemies are vanquished. Now some have told me that perhaps someone simply stole the items for their own personal gain but I find such a comment all but laughable. I mean, it would be like stealing the sword of someone who defends us and ours. Without that sword, the next bad thing that came by not only would kill the unarmed soldier but also all those the soldier was protecting, including the one who stole the weapon. That would be more or less the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face. So I say nay to such speculation.

Besides the reason above, the other silly reason to think someone stole it is that my scrolls are very personalized. As an artisan I like to add a little flash and fancy to all I make, and that continues over to that which I craft, especially scrolls. So that's why I find it funny to think they would steal it and then try to sell such an easily identifiable item. But on the off chance that such a burglar exists, I thought I'd share a sample of my scroll work. Below is the artwork I put onto my Awaken scrolls. All my other scrolls look similar although I had a few that were colored with red ink instead of black and gray. If someone did try to sell such a scroll instead of using it to help someone in need, I would suggest reporting the sale and the seller of the scroll to the local congratulatory. Feel free to have them contact me to verify without a doubt that it was indeed a scroll that I created myself.

Thank you for your time.

In service,

Kon

Scroll.png

Last edited:
I feel like you may be too optimistic of your fellow adventures' motives.

There has apparently been a ongoing epidemic of theft from shared stores of loot. Theft of already claimed loot (in this case your scroll case) is just one layer of abstraction removed. I find it exceedingly likely that the thief is among us.

I personally experienced someone openly threatening to steal from our shared resources if I didn't let them double dip into the pile (I refused them). How much braver are these hedonistic narcissists when no one is around to judge them?

In the future, please heed my advice when I tell you to hide your wealth (which I said to you many times). But more than that, please do not tip your hand so quickly if you have countermeasures like these in place.

Our greatest asset against thievery is vigilance. Our second greatest is guile.

We seem to be missing both.

Ah. Well I am sadden to hear this. Personally, I am amazed that someone who is part of a group whose only real purpose is to fight outsiders would stoop to removing direct resources to that end. I could see someone wanting to steal a few more silver if it meant being able to buy something to help with the cause (a better weapon, healing potions, etc.) although I believe we have quite a group currently that would be more than helpful in people attaining what they feel they need.

I suppose what I am trying to say is before someone has the urge to steal something, think about the gains to such a theft versus the losses. Is it worth stealing and then selling a bunch of scrolls that cost less than gold to make vs keeping people fighting on the line.

A message to whomever took these potions and scrolls. If you wish to have me not pursue you and bring you to justice I suggest the following be done. You will have delivered to me the entire contents of which you have stolen. If any of these items were used then you will pay 1.5 times the production costs so that Kon can remake more and have a little extra in his pockets for the trouble you have caused him. You can have these delivered to me or left at my doorstep so you can keep your shameful face hidden. I have no doubt after hearing Kon's voice you already have much guilt in your heart. Failing in delivering in such goods which will be returned to Kon will result in me personally tracking you down and seeing you put to trial for your actions. This is a time of War. If you take from one you take from us all.

Sir Tolgar Undershaft Knight Commander - Order of Morgan

I would like to put forth one possibility that may not have been considered. There are quite a few among us who are afflicted with varying degrees of resurrection sickness, and as such may act wrongly without intent or even understanding their own actions. If the thief is found, and it is determined that they were so afflicted, I would urge mercy.

If, however, someone knowingly and selfishly took what was freely offered for the good of all, then that is not excusable.

I am sorry, Kon, that this is how your generosity was rewarded.

I work directly with the newly resurrected, especially those with resurrection sickness. I second what Plue has said- if it was one of them who took it I strongly believe that they are not in their right minds and should be treated softly as a result. Since I work with them frequently I'll inquire with them- suddenly having a great wealth of scrolls and potions isn't something that could easily be kept quiet among them.

In service,
Lord Terren of Knight's Ferry

My comments hold true for the return of the goods. If they were "not in their right mind" and stole these due to that, then I am giving them a chance to return said goods without more punishment. If this turns out to be the case and they had used any of the items they can come see me in person. I will personally pay the fine for them and make sure they are equipped with weapon, scroll, and potion of their own to use which will be given freely and not plucked from someones personal effects.

Sir Tolgar Undershaft Knight Commander - Order of Morgan

Back