Low Level Event

Would you like to see 1 or 2 low level (level capped) games in NERO Alliance Seattle?

• YES! I would love it!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only if it takes place in Andar

• No, not really.

• Never! I hate it!

• Total voters
How would people feel about 1 or 2 low level (level capped) events a year? It would take place in another part of the world and I personally would like to see it be as far removed from direct involvement with what is happening in Andar. Please post why you voted as you did. Thanks!

I think it could be a lot of fun. It gives the staff a new place to be creative with and not have to have so many high level things going on. I think it will also encourage secondaries and give players a chance to role-play with other groups of people.

I personally would love to see low level events. While I may not PC, I think that it would give a lot of the newer people a chance at something important. The ability to be exceptional at what they do, many times at regular events low level people get passed by on so much stuff. I know Seattle staff strives to get everyone involved and keep them involved, and I almost always see one lowbie mod. Most often though high level people do and low level people follow or miss out, A low level event would change that.

Cymryc

Hum, the problem is, I dont like the idea behind low level events. Having it in a diffrent place is a good move, but its still an ooc thing (level) effecting an IG thing (people who happen to be playing) Also, level doesnt = combat efectiveness in all ways. However I also wouldnt object to it outright, I might use those events as time off, or mayhap I will make a "thud" charicter.

To continue, most of the problems I have with level capped events are simple to go over. 1) In many books/writing its a mixed setting. There may be a bunch of high levels with a low one, or a bunch of low ones and a high ones. Sometimes its more mixed than that, with one or two high, mostly middle, and some low. Sadly in a game like nero, its harder to make that work like a book, becouse of the way monsters have to be scalled.
2)Low level is not a great way to mesure things. I mean, I can make a charicter that will far outstrip kauss in combat power in about half the level. I prefer the consept of a level cap/power cap if people truely want a low enviorment game, and even then, min/maxing and class/skill unbalances make the levels a bad guide. I mean, take a 7th level templar earth, an 7th level celestial templar, a 7th level fighter, a 7th level rogue, a 7th level earth, and a 7th level artison.

On the other hand..
It would let the people who play high levels most of the time some down time. And it might let new PCs lead (tho to be honest, its often the ooc leading abilitys of the PCs that let then do that.). It might make some of the careless people think more on how to avoid death, and it will force some people to play more than one PC, if they chose to play.

Out of curiosity, what kind of level cap are you looking at? Median APL of all Seattle DB characters? A fixed number (like 7 or 10 or 12)? The level of the first character who prereg's?

I am definitely for one low level event per year. Variety is good :) But Gurv is probably too high for a low level event now, so I might have to break out my tertiary (unless he's too high too in which case I'd need a 4th!)

-Bryan

Polare Lissenstine said:
Out of curiosity, what kind of level cap are you looking at? Median APL of all Seattle DB characters? A fixed number (like 7 or 10 or 12)? The level of the first character who prereg's?

I am definitely for one low level event per year. Variety is good :) But Gurv is probably too high for a low level event now, so I might have to break out my tertiary (unless he's too high too in which case I'd need a 4th!)

-Bryan

We have discussed a few different levels, but wanted to see if it was something anybody else was interested in before making a firm cut off. Discussions have ranged from 8th to 12th level and also the idea of the median APL or Median APL minus 1,2, or 3 levels also came up. So, at this time I don't have a firm cap at all. I'd personally love to see everyone make a starting character for it, but I won't hold my breath.

I don't like capped games and I never have, even when I was a newbee. Having high level players around gives me something to aspire to.

I would be in favor certainly. One thing that might be taken into consideration is throw out a hook for whatever stuff is going to be going on on one or two lowbie mods at the event previous. This way, the people who are playing newer characters have an idea of what's going on and are more likely to get thrust into the forefront of what is to come. If they're the ones who know what's going on, they're more likely to get involved, instead of having the "veteran newbies" take over out of sheer force of game personality. Just a suggestion.

Jeff

Personally I would love to see some of those because being a low level myself I'm still not entirely used to everything yet, not to mention I feel pretty weak and useless when I play with the big boys/girls. *laughs* About the only thing that makes me useful is my first aid and my Cure light Wounds spell, but even I only get to use that spell once at this point in time.

Lhrayven Glacierwind said:
Personally I would love to see some of those because being a low level myself I'm still not entirely used to everything yet, not to mention I feel pretty weak and useless when I play with the big boys/girls. *laughs* About the only thing that makes me useful is my first aid and my Cure light Wounds spell, but even I only get to use that spell once at this point in time.
Actally, ask logistics for your card. You have at least one event and one gameday under your belt now, and in the early levels, build goes up fast. You may be much more powerfull than you were just a little while ago.

I love it when a chapter can devote one or two games to be low-level capped, and one or two games that are high-level min'ed.

And me, always with the questions:
Does "low-level" also mean "low-level plotlines"? IE - more "save my barn", "go fetch the Cup of Doogie Howser" (it ain't no dixie cup, and it ain't no coffee mug, neither) type stuff, or will it still involve as much convoluted politicking and intricasy as normal (IE - "Adventurer meets world vs Crocevia without the build, or "low-level game vs. low level characters").

Will you limit or even ban the inclusion of magic items? Personally, I feel that most magic items are build-in-a-bottle, and tend to throw off the attempt at limiting levels.

And to all the other random peoples: should this happen, anyone want to start a high ogre clan with me? :D

I would be up for 1 a year. I think games that have characters around the same level can be alot of fun. When I went to the Rain playtest game all of the characters were created around the same level and it really gave everyone the opportunity to feel a little bit more bad ***. In general alot of the more experienced players still seemed to be placed in the leadership role, but everyone overall appeared to throw themselves in harms way, and in general get more involved. My guess is this is because they felt more effective in relation to the npcs being sent out. When you have a tighter restraint on the levels of the characters it is much easier to scale, and therefore people feel more useful. On the other hand, I have the same curisousity as JP. Does "low-level" also mean "low-level plotlines"? As I am always in favor of a challenge, whether I be a high level character or a low level character, and have never been a big fan of plotlines that involve you going to save the farmers favorite chicken or some such. It almost feels like busy work.

Holly

I'd play one, sure. Do I need one? No, not really. Level is a number on a sheet of paper. What matters is what you do. If you can't hit the broad side of a barn from 20 feet away, it doesn't matter how many spells you have.

Diera said:
If you can't hit the broad side of a barn from 20 feet away, it doesn't matter how many spells you have.

true, but if your sheet of paper says "Weapon Prof(right) 89", then when you finally do hit that barn, illbe damned if it isnt gonna tumble.

There is plenty of truth to build only being a sheet of paper, but it stillplays a significant role in combat, politics, and roleplay. Higher level also means more experienced, thus, your allies, contacts, and general influence are as well built up stronger, and so on, and so forth. Experience and skill stll beat out any amount of build and any number of levels, but those things arent too be counted out either.

I'm all in favour of a low lvl event, but im not sure this opinion counts so strongly: I dont have a PC over level 10. Still, everyone around my character being different would have a significant impact

jpariury said:
And to all the other random peoples: should this happen, anyone want to start a high ogre clan with me? :D

Sure! But the make-up requirements would KILL me. I can just imagine trying to get through airport security with a bottle of yellow face paint/make-up/whatever-it's-called:

-------------------

Security Guard 1: We need a bag search!

Me: Is there a problem?

Security Guard 2: Step over here sir.

Me: Ow, hey! That's my arm not a rubber ducky that squeaks when you squeeze it!

Security Guard 2: <rummages through carry-on and back-pack>

Me: <whistles innocently>

Security Guard 3 <looking over Guard 2's shoulder>: *GASP!*

Security Guard 2 <steps back, momentarily taken by surprise>: What is THAT?

Me: What?

Security Guard 2 <holding up bag of yellow goodness>: This.

Me: Oh that. That's just make-up; I'm really an Ogre.

Security Guard 2 <while guards 1 and 3 circle around back and close in>: We don't have time for games, sir. Do you realize that carrying sulfuric acid onto an airplane is illegal? And what about this body armor? I suppose that's part of your "costume"?

Me <grabbed by Guards 1 and 3>: Well, yeah! And that there on the front is my clan's insignia!

Secuirty Guard 2: Oh! An admitted terrorist! Who's your "clan" sir? Al Queda?

Me: N...

Security Guard 2 <cuts me off>: Save it for the judge! You're going to jail, pal!

--------------------------

Back on topic: Sounds fun! But, what'd the level cap be? And there won't be giant necromantic monkeys there, I hope. :(

The idea for plots would not be getting the rats out from the tavern and running off the wolves from the flock... those are more for super lows at events with APLs of 12-16 in my opinion, but even then I like to give things that are a little more involved than just that... think mermaid problems, mysterious plants, inheriting haunted forests, etc.

The idea here is that yes, the village (or wherever it is set) may still have problem with a necromancer, it is just that he is 12 level and not 35th. He's only been doing this for a year, not 40 and doesn't have an army of big bad nasty undead yet. A noble's kid may want you to get involved with something he is having troubles with. A thieves guild may be starting to form. An apprentice at the Magistratium may have opened a gate to the wrong plane and needs help fighting back the Air Elemental Imps and Shards. All important stuff. Heck... they may even have to step up and save the place from invasion/destruction... LOL! Maybe you'd all like to fight Chibi-Strega!

I don't see that much a of a problem with it... Then again, I just have fun torturing PC's. :D

Back