Resolved Magic Items used as rep for Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven

Count
I believe it is illegal to use magic items as reps for later-created armor reps, I.E. making a rad leather bracer into a magic non-armor item, and then deciding later to use it in a 20 pt suit of armor -unless the item’s rituals also convert over to that suit of armor-.

Here’s why:

John has a leather bracer with 2/LP Recharge Prowess, which is then included in their suit of armor as an applicable rep. The armor tag is then enchanted with 20 rituals, including an item recall.

If this is legal, the leather bracer is now the beneficiary of the item recall. The armor suit is now the beneficiary of 23 rituals because of that.

As this is absolutely not an intention of the system, I believe it is thus illegal, unless rituals on the reps count toward the armor suit. However, since a suit of armor does not “distribute” rituals to its reps, I would believe the converse to also be true; the suit of armor cannot receive rituals from individual reps.

Therefore, I believe the system must work by disallowing magic items as reps for a suit of armor. Can you confirm if this is true?

This post is to inform you that your question is currently being discussed by the ARC and once some clarification has been made will be posted here. Depending on the level of clarification and discussion (and potential involvement of the Owners or other national staff, if needed) this may take time.

When a suit of armor is targeted for armor specific rituals, it is the tag, not the rep, that is the target, not the individual armor physreps. This can occasionally create some unusual circumstances if individual pieces commonly worn to rep a certain armor value are later enchanted, but the intent of the rule is that the armor targeting rituals and rituals in its batch are on the armor tag, while other rituals may be on component parts. Remember, "Costuming" is a valid source of armor, and no one makes the claim that a bracelet or even shirt with a non-armor ritual is somehow effected by an effect targeting the armor.

Note that armor is a special case here, due to the way our armor system works. Armor-targeting Rituals may only target an Armor tag specifically.

This is a key part of our ritual system- that component parts, even magically enchanted component parts, cannot be used to try and circumvent the ritual cap. For example, if I have a twenty ritual chain and a twenty ritual ring, I should never be able to tag a "ring on chain necklace" as its own independent item. Any attempts to do so should be addressed by the campaign's ritual marshal as they feel appropriate- at a minimum through the ritual failing, but potentially through more punitive means.

To paraphrase a former ARC member, if you are smart enough to find the loophole or exploit, you are smart enough to realize it wasn't intended.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back