Magic Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of damage does the spell magic storm inflict? I would assume it's magic but I can't find anything about it in the rule book that I have.

Generic "eldritch" (as defined on pg 88). The damage is not aligned with any specific element. Spell Shield is the most common defense available, unless preceded with a different qualifier i.e. "Arcane Magic Storm".

Upvote 0
Following up with a more specific question: if something is immune to the magic carrier, do they still take the magic storm (or any spell) effect?

Upvote 0
Depends on what's on the card. If it's "Immune to Magic weapon attacks" which is what people are generally referring to when they say immune to the magic carrier, then no, because it only is immune to weapon attacks with the magic carrier. If it says "Immune to Magic" then it's immune to all spells, weapon attacks with the magic carrier, spellstrikes, and ritual effects.

Upvote 0
If it says "Immune to Magic" then it's immune to all spells, weapon attacks with the magic carrier, spellstrikes, and ritual effects.
I don't believe this is quite right. A creature immune to Magic delivery is not immune to "Elemental Obliterate", for example, though it's immune to "Magic Eviscerate", "Activate Obliterate", "Spellstrike Obliterate", "<some dragon magic incant> Obliterate", and "Magic Obliterate" (extrapolating from the Resist Magic language).

As for whether or not "Magic Storm" uses a "Magic carrier" (rather than "Magic delivery") - honestly, I could go either way on it. I suspect so (given that "Immune to Flame" imparts immunity to both the Carrier and effects that include Flame in their name, as well as Dragon's Breath), but the intention isn't explicitly spelled out either way.

Upvote 0
I would say that Magic storm definitely doesn't have a Magic carrier, because Resist Magic differentiates between Magic and a Magic carrier.

Upvote 0
I don't believe this is quite right. A creature immune to Magic delivery is not immune to "Elemental Obliterate", for example, though it's immune to "Magic Eviscerate", "Activate Obliterate", "Spellstrike Obliterate", "<some dragon magic incant> Obliterate", and "Magic Obliterate" (extrapolating from the Resist Magic language).

My apologies in being imprecise. Yes, if it is an Arcane Obliterate something that is Immune to Magic will take it, just like if it was an Elemental Flame Bolt, because they're not Immune to Arcane or Immune to Elemental. If it is an Elemental Magic Storm, and I've played a card where that was a possibility, Immune to Magic shouldn't protect against it.

As for Magic Storm having a magic carrier, the only thing that can have a carrier is a weapon attack (pg 96 & 97). Non-weapon packet attacks have qualifiers, but no carrier.

Upvote 0
To get extra complicated, Magic Storm is in the evocation effect group, so something immune to evocation would be immune to magic storm regardless of delivery type.

Upvote 0
Ugh. I'm just going to shut up and lurk for a while. You got this JP.

Upvote 0
I would say that Magic storm definitely doesn't have a Magic carrier, because Resist Magic differentiates between Magic and a Magic carrier.
No, it does not.

This skill allows a character to resist one effect delivered by incanted spell, “Magic <effect>”, “Spell Strike <effect>”, “Activate <effect>” or “Magic” weapon damage calls.

It does, however, beg the question of whether or not "Elemental Magic Storm" can be resisted with Resist Magic. If Magic Storm is meant to be "Magic Carrier", then yes. If not, then no. Like I said, I can see arguments for either side - it's a good question for ARC, imo.

Upvote 0
Question answered as follows: Magic Storm deals generic "eldritch" damage of no particular type, and can be defended against either by having some means of avoiding Evocation damage (Cloak Evo, Bane Evo, immune to Evo), by avoiding the specific carrier (Spell Shield, Spell Parry or Resist Magic for a spell/Magic delivery, Elemental Shield or Resist Element for an elemental delivery), or by avoiding the packets altogether (Dodge, Phase, moving the heck out of the way). It is not the same thing as the Magic weapon carrier, and is not subject to rules affecting the Magic weapon carrier.

Topic locked. Please continue all discussion in the Rules Discussion forum.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back