Making modern drums look in-period

mguarino

Artisan
Marshal
So yeah I am REALLY excited for Kris/Jovunn's idea to have a drum circle, and I plan to bring a few pairs of sticks and two or three of the toms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom-tom_drum) from my drumset, but does anyone have some ideas on how to make them look in period? Without permanently altering the drum, that is?

Thankya :D

Without altering the top of the drum, you could get some cheap pleather and twine and wrap it around the sides of the drum. That's just the first idea that came to mind, and it's easily removable post-event! :lol:

Well first take off all the farby drum heads and get some calf or goat skins and tear out all the metal screw rods and replace them with cotton or hemp ropes. But...um...not really. (should I bring my toy....) Honestly if you just get some canvas or cotton broad cloth and wrap it around the body of the drum, wrap the edges around a pair of wood hoops like a michales might have attached with some string...get a grommet or two so you can attach the wrap around the points where the screws fasten into the metal hubs around the middle of the shell you have a decent hiding of all things farby that are not the drum heads. (now there are fiberskin heads which look okay and you would have to be practiced to detect but that is another larger cost).

Alternatively I encourage everyone to seek out a company called Lark in the Morning if you like period instruments. they have a vast calatogue which include more modern instruments and wide price ranges. Me...I still love my Cooperman!

Joe S.
Drum Major, British Brigade.

Not really on the subject, but I am SO excited if this happens... I will bring my djembes to every event if there is interest in starting a drum circle.

Back