Martial skills and damage types in the new system

KyleSchmelz

Fighter
I'm curious how the martial per-day skills will work with the new [Number][Qualifier][Effect] scheme when they interact with things like Magic Blade, Elemental Blade, Weapon Coatings, etc, that grant the attack an additional Effect. Slays and Assassinates were changed to just call a larger number, so those won't be a problem. Examples: 100 Magic, 60 Poison Sleep

Terminate, Eviscerate, Disarm, Shatter, and Stun Limb are Effects in their own right, though. Can they be combined with other Effects? I know there's some language in the current rulebook about this:

ARB 1.3 said:
"Prepare to Die" calls such as Slay and Eviscerate are not considered "Effects" and should be called even when using another effect.

But it doesn't seem completely consistent with the new rules set. What is the correct call for an Eviscerate with an Enfeeble Weapon Coating, or a Shatter with a Magic Blade? Can they be combined at all?

I'm curious how the martial per-day skills will work with the new [Number][Qualifier][Effect] scheme when they interact with things like Magic Blade, Elemental Blade, Weapon Coatings, etc, that grant the attack an additional Effect. Slays and Assassinates were changed to just call a larger number, so those won't be a problem. Examples: 100 Magic, 60 Poison Sleep

Terminate, Eviscerate, Disarm, Shatter, and Stun Limb are Effects in their own right, though. Can they be combined with other Effects? I know there's some language in the current rulebook about this:

But it doesn't seem completely consistent with the new rules set. What is the correct call for an Eviscerate with an Enfeeble Weapon Coating, or a Shatter with a Magic Blade? Can they be combined at all?

I don't see why you wouldn't use Eviscerate/Terminate Enfeeble Poison, since these effectively function as high-damage attacks, whereas Disarm, Shatter, and Stun Limb aren't.

I would say Shatter and Stun Limb are effects and as such you can call Magic or Poison to bypass immunities?

This is a good question. I think the honest answer is that we don't have a good answer yet. In theory you can no longer have a silver eviscerate or a flame stun limb, but that can present some problems with weapon immunities, so there isn't a great answer at this time. It's an area that's still a work in progress.

I don't see why you wouldn't use Eviscerate/Terminate Enfeeble Poison, since these effectively function as high-damage attacks, whereas Disarm, Shatter, and Stun Limb aren't.

I can think of why. All calls are [Number (optional)] [Qualifier / Delivery (optional in specific circumstances)] [Effect]

Both Eviscerate and Enfeeble Poison are effects and attacks can only have one effect. Sure the effect for eviscerate is "Deal infinite damage," but it is still an effect.

-MS

I can think of why. All calls are [Number (optional)] [Qualifier / Delivery (optional in specific circumstances)] [Effect]

Both Eviscerate and Enfeeble Poison are effects and attacks can only have one effect. Sure the effect for eviscerate is "Deal infinite damage," but it is still an effect.

-MS

There's no reason we can't treat "Eviscerate" as an Infinite Slay, from a mechanical perspective.

There's no reason we can't treat "Eviscerate" as an Infinite Slay, from a mechanical perspective.

Whether there are reasons or not, we don't. We treat Eviscerate as an effect, just like we treat basically every other one-shot ability in the game.

You do raise an interesting question about Slay. Heck, a few interesting questions.

With this new system, do we still say the word "Slay" as part of the verbal for a Slay?
If so, what information does that add that makes it necessary to include?
Additionally, where does the word "Slay" fit into Number-Qualifier-Effect?
If it doesn't fit into that paradigm, is it an exception that requires an additional word to be added?

-MS

No, there is no "Slay" or "Assassinate" verbal anymore. It's simply a damage call. I suppose in theory we could have Terminate/Eviscerate be expressed as a damage value in the verbal, such as "Infinite Silver!"

No, there is no "Slay" or "Assassinate" verbal anymore. It's simply a damage call. I suppose in theory we could have Terminate/Eviscerate be expressed as a damage value in the verbal, such as "Infinite Silver!"

I'd be okay with this. Now to contact an owner....

I... Rather like that.

I checked the 0.8 rules carefully before posting. It doesn't mention this change in call. It probably should for the sake of making playtesting easier.

As to the Terminate / Eviscerate comment, while it pretty much off topic at this point, I personally would prefer a concrete number to infinite. It removes any possible confusion (Evade! What is half of infinity?) and takes away the need for some monsters to have effects like "Takes X damage from Eviscerate." Obviously the number should be high enough to surpass any potential Slay (500 is probably safe).

That was fun... but off topic. Time to find an owner.

-MS

INFINITE POISON!

I WANT TO SAY THIS!

Imagery: So much poison you EXPLODE.

Poison isn't an effect. You would have to say "Infinite Poison Normal" or maybe even "Infinite Poison Lightning." Heck, I think it is even possible to "Infinite Poison Healing" which depending on how rules clarifications turn out would either be really cool or completely useless.

-MS

I checked the 0.8 rules carefully before posting. It doesn't mention this change in call. It probably should for the sake of making playtesting easier.

As to the Terminate / Eviscerate comment, while it pretty much off topic at this point, I personally would prefer a concrete number to infinite. It removes any possible confusion (Evade! What is half of infinity?) and takes away the need for some monsters to have effects like "Takes X damage from Eviscerate." Obviously the number should be high enough to surpass any potential Slay (500 is probably safe).

That was fun... but off topic. Time to find an owner.

-MS

The “Skill” qualifier has been completely removed – you no longer need to say “Prepare to Die” before using a Slay, Eviscerate, or any other skill which previously required it. Slays and Assassinates are changed to simply be swings with a bigger damage amount, while other abilities which were previously Prepare to Die are simply swings with a different effect.

The Qualifier (Slay, Assassinate) is removed. you swing the larger amount.

Poison isn't an effect. You would have to say "Infinite Poison Normal" or maybe even "Infinite Poison Lightning." Heck, I think it is even possible to "Infinite Poison Healing" which depending on how rules clarifications turn out would either be really cool or completely useless.

-MS

Technically, as a Qualifier (like spell) it would probably have to come before the effect.

Like....

Poison Infinite! But that sounds less cool. :(

Technically, as a Qualifier (like spell) it would probably have to come before the effect.

Like....

Poison Infinite! But that sounds less cool. :(

Wait. You are saying "Infinite" is an effect, not a number? That seriously defies my expectations.

-MS

I....actually, I suppose since the call is 10 Spell Healing and not Spell 10 Healing, I suppose I'm in error.

# Qualifier Effect is the pattern, so you've got it right (in this hypothetical rules change case).

Back