Medical Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansarum

Hey all just looking into everything and had a few questions:

My Girlfriend and I want to try this, but due to the nature of the combat I needed to make sure it would be safe for her. For a bit of background she has had a full spinal fusion and is healing up nicely! But due to that she can not bend her torso at all (eg dodging and bobbing)

With a full party of 4-5 friends, would she have issues being a Earth Caster that focused on healing and protecting from the back? Would she be in any danger of getting hurt with a boffer? (to clarify I have hit her personally with a boffer on her back and she didn't feel it due to the surgery) and how intense can fights get in the back-lines with a short sword for protection or dagger?

She also has trouble running for long distances, walking is going to be fine for the event. About how many times would she "need" to run away from attackers or just during events in general?

This might also be for the mods and marshals in denver, but she also needs a good bed. Would bringing an air mattress to sleep on be okay?

Denver, you say? :) Well, there's a few of us that can answer a lot of Denver-related questions. More importantly, I've had a partial spinal fusion myself, as well as a silly number of secondary spinal and knee injuries.

Hiking around will be a little rough, as the terrain isn't very forgiving on many sites. However, our new site this year is MUCH flatter than the old one, so that'll help. Running depends on your group. Some of us rarely do, but it'll mean always being careful and moving with a group and not going alone anywhere. An earth caster is definitely the easiest way to handle health issues...though she could also consider archer. When moving as a group, it's not very "dodgy."

As for boffers hitting the spine, I do recommend tailoring any costuming to pad/protect that area. A thicker layer of leather down the spine can do wonders to offset impacts. Our combats can get a little wild and it's always good to add extra safety for injured spots when possible.

Beds. An air mattress is perfectly fine. Our beds at our new site are pretty decent, but air mattresses are much better in general.

Shoot me a message if you have specific questions or hit up the Denver forum. =)

What might also be a good idea is to start as a non-combat character while it finishes healing and then branch out to more combat-related skills, especially if she only has a couple of months left before she's cleared to do the bobbing and weaving.

Depending on what she's looking at in terms of concept and build, she might consider taking a few ranks of Create Potion so she can sell her healing on those days when she's not feeling up to combat at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back