Mental Abilities and Wylderkin

Axle

Hello!

I'm going to be a new player in the upcoming maelstrom game and am planning on being a hawk wylderkin because I like the concept and I've been making what i think is a pretty cool costume for it. :D

The racial abilities for wylderkin lists mental abilities but I'm unclear about what that allows my character to do. Could someone clarify this for me?

That is very strange. The chart of racial abilities does list Mental Abilities for Wylderkin, but then in the description of what racial abilities they can take it says
A wylderkin can purchase two racial abilities accessible to any other race (as long as these skills require a Build Cost; in other words, they can’t buy “mental abilities” or “half cost for archery”).
which seems to specifically preclude mental abilities.

In any case, the mental abilities are laid out later on in the rulebook. They are listed as biata and stone elf abilities, and the very basic thrust of it is that they allow you to manipulate and interact with people's memories and emotions, respectively.

But you should definitely talk to someone on staff to figure out what you're supposed to have.

Last edited:
Mental abilities are not available to wylderkin. That's a layout error in the rulebook.

It belongs with the race above it, which is Stone Elf.

Rachel is correct. Only biata and stone elves have mental abilities.

@Gypsy Bard No, not a biatta. A bird themed Wylderkin.

Oh ok cool. thanks for the clarification everyone. I definitely thought that was odd that it was there.

@Axle If you are interested in playing mental abilities, why not play a Biatta?
Oh I'm not really interested in the mental abilities. I thought they were a bonus to the Wylderkin which I am interested in, but that seemed kind of odd along with all the other benefits to the race so I wanted to clarify.

Back