Mod Write-ups

Parzivel

Artisan
Hello,

I was hoping someone out there could help me. I wanted to have a look at how mods are written up, and was trying to find some links or resources. Does anyone have an old mod they can let me look at, or a link to writer's resources or anything?

Thank you!

Haha, that's right I was going to send you a few examples and my templates. Though I would be interested in other peoples tips as well.

You are probably thinking about Kendrick, not me, but it's for both of us anyway.

Ahh yes, indeed I am! Can you private message me your E-mail address and I'll send that over?

Here's what the HQ games use. Feel free to steal/modify. :)

MOD
Module Name Here Writer’s Name Here

Purpose: Which plotline is this connected to? Why are the players going?

Location/Setup: What does this module physically look like? Is it in the woods? In a building? A cave? If any furniture or props need to be arranged ahead of time, this is where the instructions go.

NPCs: How many do you need? Keep in mind the number should NEVER exceed the number of players intended to participate in a module. If it does, rethink your writing.

Props: EVERYTHING you need to run this goes here: costumes, weapons, traps, fog machines, lights, boxes, chests – everything. Use this as a checklist both for yourself and whoever helps you set up this module.

Hook: How do the players get here/find out about this?

Target: this section only applies in certain instances. It could target a very specific individual (such as for a character history) or characters of a certain race, class or status, such as a noble. If your module isn’t targeted, just leave this out.

Characters: If there are any major roles (particularly with speaking parts) that need to be cast give bios and instructions here. General monsters do not need names and explanations; “three goblins” will suffice.

Encounter: Write what actually happens (or is supposed to happen) here. Include character motivations when possible – these help the NPCs add some depth to their role play. If there are options the players can take, all must be explained. Remember that somebody else may run this module for you – make it as clear as possible how it’s intended to run. Think like a PC – how could you “break” this module? Include statting in this section.

Treasure: If there is a specific trinket or plot-related item that must go out, indicate so here. Leave this section off if the treasure is just standard coin/production.

Other: If there are in-game documents or specific information that the PCs must get from this module, make a note of it, and at the end of the module, make sure to inform the HoP and weekend director whether or not this info was disseminated.

WAVE
Wave Battle Title Here Writer’s Name Here

Purpose: Which plotline is this related to? Why are we fighting?

Location/Setup: Where will this take place? What are the spawn points for the NPCs?

Props: As with modules, if you need any phys reps (circles of power, planar gates, spider webs, bubbling puddles of goo) indicate so here.

Major Characters: Are there any plot NPCs or other major roles involved? Describe any bio’s or other pertinent info here.

Hook: If the battle is taking place in an area other than town, how do the players know to go and fight? Does a good guy come in and ask for help? Does a bad guy run off with something?

NPCs/Wave Type: What are the players fighting? PC races (indicate costuming or makeup)? Monster races? A mix? Is it a wave, where all NPCs die and regroup, or a popcorn, where individual NPCs cycle through their lives? How many waves/lives are being used? Keep in mind the number of lives will vary depending on the creature. Generally bigger monsters have fewer respawns than smaller “crunchies.”

NPC goal: Are they defending something? Trying to take a place or thing? General death and destruction? Are the NPCs fighting in teams? Is there a strategy?

Resolution: Do the NPCs just fight until their lives are spent, or must the PCs do something in order to “win?”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENC
Encounter Title Here Writer’s Name here

Purpose: Which plotline is this connected to? What should the encounter accomplish?

NPCs: How many? This should not exceed 2-3.

Location: Where will this take place? There should be no set-up.

Props: Any props or costuming needed should be indicated here.

Characters: What roles will your NPCs play?
Encounter: What happens? How should the NPCs react to certain player actions? Include any particular information or objects that this person should be giving out or trying to find.

Fantastic! Thank you. I note that mods don't have any NPC stats. Is this so they can be adjusted depending on who takes the hook?

Yes, statting is typically done once you know what PCs are going on the module. If you're just writing random modules it's ok to put in the general monster type and then the scaling is handled by plot based on the player's average level.

There are exceptions to this. You can have unscaled modules where the statting is done in advance and will not change upward or downward based on the APL of the group.

Thanks as well, this looks great!

Back