Monthly Blanket Buffer

As a head's up, what I am about to discuss is definitely a way of "gaming" the system. It is within the letter of the rules, but it arguably plays fast and loose with the spirit of the rules.

So, the rules allow you to buy monthly blankets with GS for up to three months before the current month. Most people just buy the blanket each month and leave it at that. But, it occurred to me, if you have a lot of build already, it might be better to only buy the blanket from three months prior each month and leave the other blankets un-purchased.

That way, if you half-build your character, either by active choice or pulling a black stone, you can then buy those floating blankets and put it on your new character. Three blankets gets you a lot more build when you are half the level you were. The buffer essentially gives you a slight jump start for a new character or a 1/2 build character while it generally won't mean as much (or practically anything) to a more established character.

Thoughts?

-MS

It sounds like a lot of extra work for your logistics guy (or at least one more thing to keep track of) and in the end all it means is you're running around with 2 or 3 fewer build and your new character might net 2 or 3 extra build in the end. Not really worth it if you ask me.

Mike- I agree with your statement. If you truly want to plan "a head" with a worse case scenario, that would probably be your best bet. Just make sure to remember that it's been 3 months since your last blanket. Mike I would also add that it matters when you receive your blankets vs events. If your closer to the next level you want that long weekend event applied first and the monthly's last.

Kyle- I have to disagree. It's not more work for the logistical team. It's more work for you, the player to remember to ask every 3 months. I wouldn't expect any logistical team to automatically do this every 3 months for some one. As for build it wouldn't be 2 or 3 fewer build for both characters. If you half build your character it would be more then what you would have gotten with your previous character.

Doing things the normal way, I'm on a list of people that my logistics guy blankets each month. It's one of many small tasks that all work exactly the same way all done as a batch. If I offset my blankets by three months, he has to deal with my stuff independently of all the rest. It may not be a lot more work, but it's more work. Also, if I understand things right, the idea is not to do this every 3 months, but every month. You're just keeping a 3-month goblin blanket buffer.

And I didn't say you get fewer build with both characters. Your first character is walking around with a little less build (there are 3 months of blankets you could be blanketing if you wanted) and your new character will net a few extra in the end. It will technically help you out if your goal is to max out the build on your new character, but it seems like a waste of time unless you know for sure you're going to perm at a specific event, especially since the total gain at the end is like 2-3 build.

I don't think this is particularly gaming the system, nor harder work for Logistics. This really just seems like resource allocation priority. Do I want the XP now, or do I want to set it aside for if my character dies?

A lowbie character who is unlikely to die, or a character with Regen/CSS is unlikely to prepare for the halfsies situation. Also, as a player whose character is becoming the main Earth Ritualist in Seattle, most of my build expenditures are in Formal right now, meaning that 1 extra build right now may make the difference.

Speaking from experience, Logistics work isn't that hard. It is, however, very time-consuming.

There is a Monthly Blanket List that helps save time. You put people on that list and once a month you press a button that automagically applies a monthly blanket to everyone on the list and deducts the Goblin Stamps. Having someone instead consistently ask for the Monthly Blanket of three months ago, refusing to be on the list, is adding another task or two to Logistics. Logistics has a lot of tasks, so adding more tasks does increase Logistics work load even if the work itself isn't hard. With that request the Logistics personnel has to access the database, pull up the specific player, check to make sure they have GS, go into a specific character, click the "Apply Monthly Blanket" button, then edit the Experience Tracker for the month the blanket is for. It isn't hard, but takes a few extra minutes that could have been used elsewhere (in my selfish opinion).

Just putting that out there to help educate. :)

That said, I do not believe this is "gaming the system". I do think it is actually a waste of time to do this (you have to remember every month or else you will miss a monthly blanket) unless your characters routinely permanently die or your character is on the verge of permanent death.

Back