"Morfs" -- basic rules for the August weekend

Here are the basic rules for roleplaying a "morf" on the next weekend. The stats and other clarifications will be coming soon from the Rules Committee.

If an undead attacks you this weekend and gives you a successful Killing Blow with the phrase “I morph you one, I morph you two, I morph you three” then you will rise up as an undead yourself.

Unlike most undead, however, you retain all your own thoughts and knowledge—however, your mind will be corrupted to the point where you consider all living to be prey. You will use your knowledge to help you win battles because you know what your friend’s skills are and will prepare accordingly.

Although you can talk, you do not have the skill to be subtle. In other words, you will never pretend to still be alive—you will say things like “My old friend Bobo the Adventurer! I look forward to killing you and watching you die!” and so on. If your friends tell you that you have been Morfed, your response will be something like “Yes, it’s wonderful! You should be one, too!” No amount of roleplaying can cure this -- no mental abilities, no awakens, nothing. Only your death.

Do not cheese this. Seriously. As a morf, you should be seeking out your friends first to attack, because you know what they have power-wise. You won't care a bit about treasure, but you know, that magic sword your friend have would come in mighty handy...

Any PC who cheeses this by only attacking people your PC doesn't like will be in trouble.

You should remain intelligent, meaning you won't just attack until you die. You will run away, heal yourself, and act just like you would as an intelligent PC when it comes to battle tactics and staying "alive."

Yes, if live NPCs are in town at the same time you may attack them, too, but you will never "side with the PCs" to go get the NPCs. You should treat ALL living creatures as targets for your attack.

You do NOT have the power to Morf others. Any killing blows you give are normal killing blows.

If you are a spellcaster you do NOT have to use up your spells, but you can if you so desire (for instance, you can cast necromancy to heal yourself—and will have no problem with doing so, no matter what your race or background. But you don't have to).

You must wear a green headband while Morfed, which should be provided by the NPC who morphed you. Anyone asking “What do I see?” should be told that you look like a rotting undead.

Like all undead, you are unaffected by ice, hurt by healing, healed by necromancy, and so on.

Morfing holds your body in place during the time that you are an undead. Once you are killed as a Morf, then your five minute death count will begin and you can be given a Life spell.

Pardon the question, but do you remember what you do when morfed? Or is it like typical undeadification where you don't know what you were up to, just that you were dead?

What about body? Is this a 8 body / swing 2 undead, or does being morfed return the PC to their full health (or not)? If spellcasters aren't inclined to use spells, does this go for all times per day skills (ie, slays/parries/etc)? What about magic items? Considering the intelligence level, are marshals required for any PVP actions? What about thievery, since we're taking into account what magic items/stuff other PCs that might be useful?

I'm sure Rules will deliver the answers to all this stuff, but I figured I would ask all of the things beforehand rather than later.

Are fighter and rogue skills retained, or is it just spells?

General rule of thumb: When an effect like this is placed on a PC, you effectively become a short term NPC. Unless you are explicitly told otherwise, you should assume, like all NPCs, that you are not KBA or steal active. Mike covered the guidelines on stealing in his description (technically steal active, but very little motivation to do so). Since he didn't mention killing blows at all, unless explicitly informed otherwise, you should assume you aren't.

-MS

I'm sure Mike V. will clarify, but from what he posted earlier I'd actually assume that Morfed PCes are actually KBA.

act just like you would as an intelligent PC when it comes to battle tactics and staying "alive."

Since Killing Blows are generally SOP for PCs, I'd imagine they would be for Morfed PCs as well.

You do NOT have the power to Morf others. Any killing blows you give are normal killing blows.

So Morfed PCs clearly at least have the capacity for Killing Blows.

Apologies for the late response folks, I've been in Maine for a week then moved so my Internet access is work only for now. Now, on to answering questions!

Here are the Official Stat Modifications for Morfed PC's
Claws- One Handed
+75 Body
2 Resist Magic
+4 Strength
Rips from Pin/Bind/Web
Immune to Ice, Command, Waylay, Poison, Paralysis, Gift, Walay
Harmed Double by Earth/Healling
Healed by Necromancy
Is a Greater Undead for the purposes of Turn/Destroy Undead

-Once Morfed you will be at full body, with the modified body added, your armor will be at whatever state it was in when you were Morfed.

-You have access to All Skills you possessed at the time of Morfing, but as with spells you will not be forced to use them, it is at the discretion of the player whether or not to use any times per day skills.

-You are killing blow active.

-Use of Magic Items and Production will follow the same rules at times per day effects, it is a players choice whether or not to use them.

-Morfed individuals have no desire for wealth, they exist only to kill the living. To that end you will not steal anything, if you are unarmed however you may pick up a weapon from a fallen foe until you can get claw reps from an NPC. Again, please keep the Good Sportsmanship rule in mind.

-The only time a Marshall would be required for this effect is if you are entering a cabin as per the rule book. We expect everyone to play the game fairly and to follow the Good Sportsmanship rules.

-Morfed PC's will not remember any of their activities once they have been cured. They will however awake with a sense of dread, as if coming out of a terrible nightmare.

Post up any further questions you may have.

Regards,
Sean

Neither your post nor Mike's post explicitly says. Do you drop dead at 0 health like a normal undead or unconscious at 0 and dying at -1 like a living creature? I am assuming the former, but better safe than sorry.

-MS

Neither your post nor Mike's post explicitly says. Do you drop dead at 0 health like a normal undead or unconscious at 0 and dying at -1 like a living creature? I am assuming the former, but better safe than sorry.

-MS
Once you have been beaten down to Zero body after being Morfed, you will immediately begin your 5 minute death count.

So if I'm understanding correctly the only cures for this are receiving a Life spell while in your death count or resurrection? (essentially the effect ends when you hit 0 body as a morf and you are a regular Dead body going forward from there)

Confirm the +4 Str means you swing +4 damage to all your weapon blows? (IE: Alto gets Morfed. Claws are base 2, he has Four Weapon Profs (+4), +4 for Morf. He now swings for 10s) And no wacky carriers? All normal damage?

So if I'm understanding correctly the only cures for this are receiving a Life spell while in your death count or resurrection? (essentially the effect ends when you hit 0 body as a morf and you are a regular Dead body going forward from there)
You are correct. While in an undead state you are immune to gift, and you are no longer Morfed when you hit Zero Body, so a life spell will then be effective.

Confirm the +4 Str means you swing +4 damage to all your weapon blows? (IE: Alto gets Morfed. Claws are base 2, he has Four Weapon Profs (+4), +4 for Morf. He now swings for 10s) And no wacky carriers? All normal damage?
Correct. You will swing whatever carrier your weapons have, or Normal with claws.

We can still use our own weapon skills and don't have to use claws?
Yes. You will retain All Skills. The card is a template that will modify your existing character card.

I suppose I should clarify my question. Are fighter and rogue skills restored after being cured of the morf condition, or is it just spells?

Per my reading (though again, somebody official should clarify), no skills are restored after being cured, including fighter/rogue skills, spells, high magic, or otherwise.

Back