Racial Slay
Resist Binding
Resist Command
Resist Element
Resist Fear
Resist Magic
Resist Necromancy
Resist Poison

I kind of like resist poison and claws, or resist fear -- but that one's just for the sake of irony.

I guess part of it would be what breed of mouse are you.

Dodge and Res Binding, I'd say. Claws are more than a little hard to justify on a non-predatory animal type.

I like the dodge/resist binding. Little guys can get out of a lot by being squirrley. I don't really see a mouse as having claws, at least not like Sarr and the other hunter type animals.

Actually mice and rats are notoriously easy to poison because they can't vomit. So unless you can show me a species of rat that's perhaps resistant to snake venom or something, I'd have to say no to that one.

Dodge is a good one... I've seen mice do some insane things to get away from a snake (back when the nature center did live feeds). In that same vein I can also see resist binding.

Ezri said:
Actually mice and rats are notoriously easy to poison because they can't vomit. So unless you can show me a species of rat that's perhaps resistant to snake venom or something, I'd have to say no to that one.
The use of warfarin as a rat poison is now declining because many rat populations have developed resistance to it - source
The Grasshopper Mouse is known to be immune to various venoms released by its prey. (Scorpions, Snakes, etc.) - source

I'm sure a little more google-fu would turn up more examples.

Added: yeah, it did.
The consumption of non-nutritive substances may be an adaptive response to nausea. Nausea is frequently caused by a toxin, and non-nutritive substances may help dilute the toxin's effect on the body. Clay in particular binds and inactivates many types of chemicals and is therefore good at deactivating toxins (e.g. Philips et al. 1995, Philips 1999, Sarr et al. 1995). - source
Added to the house mouse's already prodigious talent to evade capture in our homes and businesses, bait-shyness and poison resistance could herald the arrival of the urban "super mouse". - source

Personally, I think mice should be allowed the Disease carrier. That'd make all sorts of people squirm. "Clearly mice-kin are necromantic!" Mwuahahaha.

jpariury said:
Personally, I think mice should be allowed the Disease carrier. That'd make all sorts of people squirm. "Clearly mice-kin are necromantic!" Mwuahahaha.

that would be awesome. you would see the rat-scavy population multiply...

Rats are known to have fantastic memories when it comes to having ingested a poison that made them sick, but does not kill them -- they will forever avoid anything that contains even a trace amount of that poison. Additionally, as has been previously pointed out that Warfarin (and other poisons) are just not as effective at killing rats because of the development of some immunities ... so I would go with Resist Poison as one of the racials. (I wish there was a DETECT POISON racial).

For the other racial, I would think that DODGE would be a good one ... ever try to hit a rat with a stick, shoe, or rock? They are pretty good at dodging their attackers.

While rats have claws, their teeth are much more dangerous weapons. So, I could see CLAWS as a possible racial skill, if you would like to fight with claws.

My choice, if I where to play a Rat scavenger, would be RESIST POISON and DODGE.

Resist poison should count, any New Yorker can attest to the native rat populations indifference to the many things put out to kill them(not to mention their ability to carry numerous diseases). Racial dodge should be another as they are quick and can squeeze into narrow enviornments other species cant easily get into As for the claw issue it might be more akin to a Biata where the claw wouldnt really matter or be used as a weapon...

Robb Graves said:
jpariury said:

that would be awesome. you would see the rat-scavy population multiply...

No ****. If I could get a free mid-level spell as a carrier on a race, I'd be switching too.

Back