Musicians - Wanna jam?

KialdaLoa

Scholar
New Hampshire Staff
Hi friends!

I sometimes find myself bored, living all alone. I sometimes want to write music to pass the time!

I thought I may put together a few simple, Renaissance/Folk-sounding types of tunes to donate to any LARP musicians. It wouldn't be an IG thing - Alda is not super good at writing music, she just improvises. But I could OOG put some stuff together, and maybe a few musician NPCs could use it to get some jamming going in the tavern?

Please let me know if you like the idea, who wants some music/who I can donate it to (... props? plot?)

Also, let me know WHAT MUSICIANS ARE OUT THERE! :) I know we have a lot of guitarists, but I dunno how capable everyone is of reading music... Can anyone read classical guitar picking? How about simple strumming patterns and chords, if they are labeled with tabs/letter names?

Also, do we have any melody instruments that can read music? Like... recorders, violins, CELLI?! Writing for a cello would be AWESOME! :D
Does anyone have a preference of KEY? As a recorder player, I know I start to struggle if we go past Bb (for flats) and D (for sharps.) Half-holes are annoying.
I know there is that one pair of bongos up there, and there are some people who have good rhythm! But does anyone feel confident in their rhythm-reading? ... Though percussion is always something that can be easily added and improvised, too!

I'm just brainstorming and trying to pass some time, so jump in with your thoughts! Thanks! :)

you should be preparing for d&d tomorrow. I have a feeling you're going to need it... :thumbsup: :twisted:

You know what I got :3 Happy to sing and dance. (I mean, come on. Rom.)

I played drums for several years and can keep a decent beat if needed. Kantil understands how it works too. Hitting things with blunt objects to make sounds and hitting things with blunt objects to make them dead are closely related. History of the World Part 1 shows that off pretty well. :)

I can also kind of sing if need be. Given enough time I can memorize a song and the beat it goes to. Just let me know :)

Thanks so far for the input, guys! Specifically, I'd also like to know who is comfortable/confident READING music...
The way I see this going is just me giving sheets of finished music to plot people, and them taking it over and doing what they want, i.e. perhaps having random music-reading NPCs milling about the tavern to jam with. Perhaps someone trying to sell music? Or make money as an entertainer? Maybe even carry around the sheet music with them, as if they wrote it! (Though I should apologize for the anachronism - I don't fluently write in Renaissance neumes. That's a freakin weird notation.)

So even if you don't want to perform, but you are a behind-the-scenes type of person who can read music and wants to teach it to NPCs, you can chime in with your contribution, too!

Well actually... I guess there is nothing stopping me from spending some OOG time teaching music to people who don't necessarily want to read it themselves! Especially if I ever end up NPCing! Hmm! That is a thought!

But still. I dunno. Share as many musical details as possible, and we'll get stuff rolling somehow! :)

Herp derp derp, I'ma try to find a good way to share the sheet music and MIDI files of the drafts of songs I'm working on, to get some feedback and see if the music is sight-read-able for people! Stay tuned! Lol.

I'm totally up for any music you want to provide! I can read sheet music, can't play any in period instruments but can sing and teach. :) yay!

Hi friends!!!

With some intelligent help, I have mastered the modern technology of file-sharing! Though I do apologize- the sheet music seems to have uploaded itself into negative, white-on-black colors. … Can’t explain that.

Feel free to look these over, steal them, improvise your own tunes based of these… whatever! Just make music happen!!

These are all just first drafts, and really meant to be improvisatory templates anyway, so they don’t necessarily have good endings, or strict form. We can probably even substitute different instruments. They are all in different modes, and the Estampie is particularly strange, but I really had fun writing this stuff. It’s not 100% accurate to the period, but it imitates the styles and shouldn’t be too anachronistic.

If you speak up and tell me what you want, what you like, what you can do… I’ll write stuff for you specifically! <3

I'd love specific feedback from guitar-people. Is this picking readable? Or even possible? Or are the tabs notated clearly enough to get you by, even if you don't wanna read the specific picking notation I ignorantly invented? Haha :)

Jig for Recorder, Guitar, Tambourine, and bongo (or any hand-drum):
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwAZW6 ... TldXbnBZQQ

Waltz for Recorder, Violin, Cello, and Guitar:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwAZW6 ... d1pmMUR2QQ

Estampie for Recorder, Violin, (unnecessary cello), guitar, and bongo (hand-drum):
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwAZW6 ... TFU0M3JWdw

Gypsy dance for Recorder, Voice (uh… sing on “na” or invent your own lyrics, I have no gift for words), guitar, bongo (hand-drum), and tambourine.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwAZW6 ... MVcyOGNPUQ

Enjoy! :) Please be honest with any criticism! Tell me what to change to make it doable/likable for all!! :D

They won't open for me XD

Nnnnnooooooooo! Arrgh!

Well let's see. On my computer, the MIDI says "no preview available," but if you right click on the link, it has a "download" option, then you can save it and it works.

But the sheet music does open up for me (albeit white-on-black) if I just click the link. ... Does any of that work for you?

I just get "Internal Server Error: Error 500" for every one of them XD

I am so grumpy about this! T-T Anyone else able to make them work, or having similar problems? If the latter is true... anyone else have different file-sharing ideas?

I just want more LARP music to happen, gosh darn it! Hahah.

I just tested for you and did the right click save and worked fine for me. The other idea I have is for the music to upload to youtube and link that way, and for the sheet music take photos of it or print and scan to computer then upload to photobucket. Yes I know it means more work, but it would or could be worth trhe effort if people are having issues. Also if it helps the browser I am using is mozilla fiefox. I know before when people have had issues it was sometimes due to the browser and nothing to do with the content

Jeremiah

You can count me in if you need an accordioneer or anything of the sort!

As for the music, it opened for me fine. I'm running Firefox too, so I dunno why it's being derpy for everyone else. Looks good though! I'd have to kinda wing it and otherwise jam with whoever's on guitar. I play mostly by ear anyway, quickreading music was never one of my strengths.

OH DEAR GODS! PLEASE TELL ME MONTY IS BRINGING THE 'SQUEEZEBOX' AGAIN!

You kidding? That thing's like half of my personality! Of course Sqeezebox will be there with me, wouldn't dream of leaving it behind.

Jacob i just laughed aloud at your screen name. so very excited to.see you cuz

Rayna Marshlin said:
OH DEAR GODS! PLEASE TELL ME MONTY IS BRINGING THE 'SQUEEZEBOX' AGAIN!

SQUEEZEBOX SQUEEZEBOX SQUEEZEBOX!!!!

Back