My first Crossbow Design.

Brilliant! I actually spent Friday evening with a friend, surrounded by foam and duct tape trying to plan out a heavy crossbow with magazine system! I built one a couple years ago for Nero Int'l, but it used vinyl-covered party cups that dropped through the rear of the stock and hung through the bottom, sort of a "bullpup" design. However, it certainly didn't look as nice as the design you have, and my magazine (I only built one) never looked right to me. It's nice that in Alliance I don't have to put thrusting tips on it.

Unfortunately, after having moved twice since then it's been all but ruined, and I never got a chance to use it. One of the first things I was hoping to do on this brand new board was ask questions about the legality of storing a quiver on the weapon itself, but my idea has always been a sort of gnomish "semi-automatic" crossbow, so I think it makes sense. Plus, this is a game system that allows people to hold a stick in one hand and chuck packets with the other, so I feel that having the attached duct tape magazine should be plenty safe.

Interestingly, while I was researching automatic or repeating crossbows on Friday I came across an old Popular Science article form the 1950's:

Article - http://www.scribd.com/doc/6383994/Repea ... sbow-Plans

Video of someone who found the same article and made it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R9u2gjbw1w

Anyhoo, congrat's on the crossbow. I think that I'm going to continue with the bullpup design, though I need to find a good way to quickly sling it without the magazine/packets falling out, since I can't block with it. I'll make sure to post pictures, as well.

Cheers.

The crossbow looks awesome. Not sure what the point of the clip is though as it's completely anachronistic.

To look cool, obviously. ;) I mean, we go on about repeating crossbows existing since 400BC, but those are top-fed rather than undercarriage-fed, and we could point out that in terms of mechanical advantage, it offers none in the world of Alliance, since it's all packet-delivered and doesn't negate the need for a quiver... but really, I suspect the point is to make it look neat. As to whether or not it's a fitting look in the world of Alliance... your mileage may vary, but I see no issues with it. It doesn't really detract from the game world I play in (unlike, say, a redshirt with commbadge and tricorder might).

It's not like we have a defined time period anyway, or I'd spend a lot more time worrying about where my gypsy got the dyes for his gear. ;)

jpariury said:
it offers none in the world of Alliance, since it's all packet-delivered and doesn't negate the need for a quiver...
given the right dimensions, ¿couldn't it function as a quiver?

Wraith said:
It's not like we have a defined time period anyway, or I'd spend a lot more time worrying about where my gypsy got the dyes for his gear. ;)

We most certainly do. Pg 29 - "right at the verge of the renaissance, on the tail end of the dark ages." The amount of stuff I see that's far beyond that time period grates my nerves to no end.

We overlook things like dyes and modern footwear and glasses because well, it's far too much of a challenge to use only period dyes, and people just plain need their glasses and boots that don't make their ankles roll every 5 minutes. That's not a valid reason to build in-game items that don't fit the prescribed time period.

And no the clip can't serve as a quiver - a quiver must be an actual container (page 81).

Ezri said:
Wraith said:

We most certainly do. Pg 29 - "right at the verge of the renaissance, on the tail end of the dark ages." The amount of stuff I see that's far beyond that time period grates my nerves to no end.

We overlook things like dyes and modern footwear and glasses because well, it's far too much of a challenge to use only period dyes, and people just plain need their glasses and boots that don't make their ankles roll every 5 minutes. That's not a valid reason to build in-game items that don't fit the prescribed time period.

And no the clip can't serve as a quiver - a quiver must be an actual container (page 81).

I thought this was fantasy...

SkollWolfrun said:
Ezri said:
Wraith said:

I thought this was fantasy...

Yes it is, but there are still rules, which need to be followed

Ezri said:

Unless its hollow.

And meets the minimum dimension requirement.

Ezri said:

Not quite - here's a rule book excerpt (page 81, lower part of third column) the red font is the pertinent part of the rule:

Quivers: An archer may not have more
arrow or bolt tags on them than they have room
for in their quivers. One quiver may hold up to
20 arrows or bolts. A quiver is defined as any
pouch or container whose dimensions are a
minimum volume of 64" with no dimension
smaller than 1". A foam phys rep of a quiver
may also be used.
For each multiple of the maximum
quiver volume, a quiver can hold an additional
20 arrows or bolts.

You may carry as many quivers as you are
able.

Just thought I'd also show off my first crossbow I made for Alliance. I made it for a reed Dryad character I played in Oregon. I found that I could tuck about 4 packets in the groove and the hole at the back of the crossbow so it made for easy grab and launch.

xbow1.jpg

xbow2.jpg

Yup, that's it, normal pipe foam insulation, with some twine glued on it to give it the bamboo ridges, coated in latex and then painted to look like bamboo. Also had a staff made of it. I'll post my 'dryad weaponry' in another thread.

Back