Mystic Wood Elf make-up req change.

SimianRex

Since we've got a thread lobbying for the changing of the Mystic Wood Elf name, how about one dedicated to the removal of one of the racial make-up requirements?

The requirement I speak of is ears.

With so many different types of elves in the game, and the Mystic Wood Elves not really being elves (see: No Reduced cost for Archery), that removing the ear requirement would do well to set the multitude of races apart. Who really identifies Mystic Wood Elves by their ears, anyway? All of their character is kept in the horns! =)

With the removal of the word "elves" from their name, I'd say that this would also be a good idea. I know that I'd be more inclined to play "the race formally known as MWE" if I didn't need to glue ears on.

the 2 changes could well go hand in hand. I dislike the ears, because iI swear I can hear the rubber ears and the spirit gum drives me bonkers. But since I love playing the race and have no desire to race change, I have to deal with it. So yeah, this idea appeals to me.

Removing half of the phys-repping from the race would likely be grounds for removing half of the racial benefits... Which would you rather be without, Resist Command or Break Command? Fair's fair, afterall.

AFAIK Horns without pointed ears is the make-up for a Satyr.

Not sure I agree with the comparison. Not all races are that evenly balanced. Gypsies come to mind. Where is the balance to gypsy curse?

Saephis said:
Removing half of the phys-repping from the race would likely be grounds for removing half of the racial benefits... Which would you rather be without, Resist Command or Break Command? Fair's fair, afterall.

Gypsies have and accent and general costume requirement.

For which they get a totally refuseable RP only skill.

From my point of view, Gypsies have the requirements of the costuming and accent. These aren't additions, since you have to wear clothes and if you talk, you talk. They're more of modifications.

Balancing that, you have Gypsy Curse, which is pretty powerful if used right (And the target (N)PC isn't cheesy and say "No, I don't want to take that").

Additionally, Gypsies have the pseudo-disadvantage of being generally disliked (I believe this is in the race description), yet quite a few people ignore that for IG reasons, mostly due to interaction with specific gypsy characters.

So, Clothes (You have to wear some anyways) and Talking (Sure, you could bypass that by being a mute) with a sometimes general dislike towards the race. For, a social structure where gypsies often can count on eachother against outsiders and a potentially powerful (Also, potentially useless) racial skill that can be purchased.

They still seem fairly balanced to me. Though, rumor is (Since Sarrs will get a cookie assassinate) that all races will be reviewed on their racials in some aspect with the new rules edition. Maybe Gypsies will get a cheaper price for Legerdemain or something, who knows.

Warlock said:
Not sure I agree with the comparison. Not all races are that evenly balanced. Gypsies come to mind. Where is the balance to gypsy curse?

Saephis said:

Saephis: sure, gypsies dress colorfully, but let's face ti, they are not the only ones. As far as the accent, to the best of my memory, the racial description does not say they have to have an accent. Unfortunately I do not have my rulebook with me here at work, so I cannot double check. if I am right, and I am pretty sure I am, then perhaps that can be updated in the next edition.

Gypsies are defined by costume, behavior, an accent and culture.

That is right from the book. Accent is required.

Gypsy curse is entirely up to the character cursed to decide how to play it, as it is a role-play based skill. So for two reasons it is 'refuseable', one I just ignore you and role-play my character however I want, or I say, I refuse your Role-play. Which can be valid for any number of reasons.

The deformities one has additioanl reasons it can be refused with allergies, safety, etc.

Much like the mind powers, that are role-play based they can be refused.

You should role-play it. Unless its something that really is a problem for you.

Its in the spirit of playing the game as a good player.

But the rule is there. You do not have to accept role-play you are not comfortable with. You can easily say, No I do not accept that role-play, for whatever reason you have.

from the rulebook under gypsie curse:

This curse is intended to entertain through humor or drama. If it becomes overly burdensome or embarrassing OOG, it is not entertaining. At the time the Curse is cast, a player who would suffer OOF embarrassment or difficulty with RPing the Curse may negotiate OOG for a different Curse. However, he or she must eventually accept one of the listed Curses.

So no, you can't flat out refuse to be Cursed, but you can refuse to "sing with everything you do and say" if you are embarrassed by your singing voice, or if a girl would be mortified to grow a thick moustache, etc.

On the other side of that, pretty sure there are things in the race packet that limit when and where they should be using their curses with IG consequences that I won't go into for the gaje in the audience (no giving secrets out now) so it's not supposed to be used at will, every day, just because it'd be fun to watch the goblin hop around on one foot for a while. It's pretty right on as far as benefit vs costume/RP requirements IMO.

Saephis said:

Oh please. Let's not get into yet ANOTHER 'what is fair for makeup vs racial bonuses' argument here. If that was the case, they then should get double what elves get. Then the Sarrs should be getting a buttload more and so on and so on and so on. Play the race for the race and not the benefits.

I'd say remove the ears for MWE's, require the ears for Satyr's.

Oh, and stop arguing about gypsy curses here. This is a MWE ear thread. Start a new one.

markusdark said:
Saephis said:

Oh please. Let's not get into yet ANOTHER 'what is fair for makeup vs racial bonuses' argument here. If that was the case, they then should get double what elves get. Then the Sarrs should be getting a buttload more and so on and so on and so on. Play the race for the race and not the benefits.

Its a perfectly viable discussion to have, if you're talking about racial requirements, then you have to talk about what benefits a race gets. If you remove half of the draw backs, shouldn't you remove half of the benefit?

Otherwise, people will keep pushing for removing draw backs, and keep the benefits, then you'll have everyone walking around as scavengers with whatever racials they want with zero make-up or role play requirements paying reduced cost for everything. That's fair, right? Oh, wrong? Funny how that works.

And for the record, also, MWE's already get twice as much as elves. Resist Command for both, and Break Command for just one. Reduced cost archery? Situationally useful, as there's other BP-Cost Breaks for MWE's as well, or just things available.

And Sarr's are already getting a boost, other than what they've already got, coming in the next rules edition. But, like you said, this is a "I have horns and ears" thread, not a Gypsy/Sarr/FlooberscooberScavenger thread.

Wow. I wasn't expecting that to happen.

If removing the ear requirement would mean removing one of the racial abilities, why not offer up an alternative requirement? Perhaps all MWE characters should have some sort of mark, signifying heritage? Or a costume requirement, like carrying a vial of water or dirt from their home vale?

Constructive criticism, the wave of the future!

SimianRex said:
Wow. I wasn't expecting that to happen.

If removing the ear requirement would mean removing one of the racial abilities, why not offer up an alternative requirement? Perhaps all MWE characters should have some sort of mark, signifying heritage? Or a costume requirement, like carrying a vial of water or dirt from their home vale?

Constructive criticism, the wave of the future!

Honestly, the ear/horn thing isn't broken. There aren't any huge overwhelming problems with wearing both, probably because it was (likely?) that way since MWE's hit the game in general. Removing Ears would cause confusion with Satyrs, while removing Horns would strip them of their identity and put them with Elves.

Its also (probably) the main two things that gives them their racials. Most (All but one) Resist-Command toting races have Elf-shaped ears, and the horns give them access to Break Command. This is doubled-up with their disliking of Command Magics and effects, as well.

I like the idea of carrying something from their own vale with them, though its somewhat like the Biata Lodestone thing. Its flavor RP items and, while great, can too often be stolen/lost/forgotten and isn't very traceable, unlike a set of ears or horns on a person's head.

But the heritage-mark on the neck/face reigon (Excepting if it gets wiped away) would be neat, and "outcast" MWE's (Or whatever they'd be called if the name got changed) without one could lead to some interesting RP there, while also keeping consistant with their current level of make-up requirements.

Sunnfire said:
Gypsies are defined by costume, behavior, an accent and culture.

That is right from the book. Accent is required.

Gypsy curse is entirely up to the character cursed to decide how to play it, as it is a role-play based skill. So for two reasons it is 'refuseable', one I just ignore you and role-play my character however I want, or I say, I refuse your Role-play. Which can be valid for any number of reasons.

The deformities one has additioanl reasons it can be refused with allergies, safety, etc.

Much like the mind powers, that are role-play based they can be refused.

I disagree.

You can refuse a specific curse but you have to ultimately accept one of them.

If a gypsy curses you to hop with everything you do and say, and you have a bad leg, you can refuse it and ask for another one. But you don't get to just decide to ignore the curse.

The gypsy paid build for the skill, so it should not be "roleplaying only" as to whether to accept it.

This is different from biata and stone elf mental abilities which are not purchased with BP (and which will be better defined in the upcoming Rule Book).

Saephis said:
But the heritage-mark on the neck/face reigon (Excepting if it gets wiped away) would be neat, and "outcast" MWE's (Or whatever they'd be called if the name got changed) without one could lead to some interesting RP there, while also keeping consistant with their current level of make-up requirements.

I am with you here, I could *so* get behind the heritage mark idea.

Back