Mystic Wood Elf name change

Warlock

In a recent thread about Mystic Wood Elves, Fearless Leader commented that if now would be the time to change the name of the race, if people were inclined. So, I am looking to see what interest there is in such a change here amongst our community. Also, I am looking to see what names people would like to suggest for the change. I know I am new on this forum, but hopefully no one will feel like their toes have been stepped on.

The reasoning behind the desire to change is simple, Mystic Wood Elf is a misnomer. We aren't elves, first of all, and while that little mix up can sometimes provide for interesting RP, it gets old after, oh...the third time. It's even a more boring arguement out of game, too. Secondly, there are very few players who still have characters from the original Mystic Woods that the name comes from.

So, I am opening this up to suggestions from our community for names to consider. I'll start the list with my own offering (Woodfolk) and add update the "official list" as names come up. You may propose them in this thread or through private messages to me, which ever suits your fancy. The suggestion box is open from today until April 17th.

My suggestion, as mentioned in parenthesis above, is Woodfolk. This reflects the nature aspects of the race, as well as the fact that most of us come from vales deep in the woods. Most importantly, it drops the elf part of the name.

I look forward to everyone's input and involvement. Thank you.

-Jason Warlock

While it is fun to poke the MWE's about the elf misnomer, I do agree that the name should be changed.

Mystic Wood Folk

That's what I think they should be. I wouldn't drop the mystic from the name because it adds to the mystery of the people. If they are simply woodfolk it makes them seem more... mundane. Frankly, they are not. They are an ancient people who have some very powerful and ancient magics tied to their vales. They ahve always seemed to me to be kind of the progenitor race... maybe they are, maybe they are not, but that's how I view them.

I'd like to submit the possible name; Sileni.

Sileni is a greek term, the name for the oldest generation of Satyrs. I've always identified the Mystic Wood Elves with The satyrs of greel mythology, so I feel it fits.

I think I like the idea of the Sileni (plural)/Silenus(singular). Although Woodfolk also works, I feel that that term would fit any sentient creature that lives within the woods. On the other hand, Woodfolk is similiar enough to Wood elves so that it will be easier to remember.

Meh, as long as it isn't MWE anymore, I'm in for it! I've always hated the name.

So, currently the official list stands as:

Woodfolk
Mystic Woodfolk
Sileni

And all that just in the first hour or so.

My PC'll continue to call yous peoples Erethi.

Cause its what a packet told me to do.

Lots of MWEs call themselves Mystic Wood Folk anyway. And as much as I like "Sileni" I don't see it catching on too widely.

Some chapters have names for their own "breed" - Caldaria have Ansconi, Icenia has Children of Camulous... but those have IG meanings relevant to the chapter, just like barbarians in HQ are Vansir. I was never a fan of MWE personally either.

Seeing as how there is, in fact, no Mystic Wood, and they are not elves... yes, another name would be nice. My personal leanings are towards something like Fey-kin.

New updated 'official list'

Woodfolk
Mystic Wood Folk
Sileni
Fey-kin

Marcena said:
Where did the "mystic wood" thing come from anyway? I've never heard mention of it.

On Tyrra (i.e. pre-split) there was a place called the Mystic Wood, which is where MWEs came from.

I'd prefer the spelling "Fae-kin". Although "fey" and "fae" are sometimes used interchangeably, it was always my understanding that "fae" was a broader term and that "fey" signified darker aspects of the whole.

After all, "Fae" is just short for "Faerie". It's linguistically more sound AFAIK.

ok.

Woodfolk
Mystic Wood Folk
Sileni
Faekin

anything else? keep it coming. what the heck? make something up, maybe we'll like it

Personally I'd eliminate the Mystic from whatever it ends up being...

Wood folk or some variation thereof...

throw an extra e or two on the ends of things ;-)

Which was exactly what I had thought as soon as I posted it ;-)

And I still like it even if it is someone else's idea ;-)

Telokh_Amdo said:
I'd prefer the spelling "Fae-kin". Although "fey" and "fae" are sometimes used interchangeably, it was always my understanding that "fae" was a broader term and that "fey" signified darker aspects of the whole.

After all, "Fae" is just short for "Faerie". It's linguistically more sound AFAIK.

Actually, Fae was what I was trying for, but I'd only been awake a couple minutes and it takes a while for my ability to spell to come online. :mrgreen:

Back