National human race packet

who would like to see a national human race packet?

• Yes

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • I dont really care

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters

Janzin

Artisan
we have been talking about this a good amount on the boards i just want to know what most people think.

okay iw ill repost it as such

I voted I dont really care because I honestly dont understand the purpose for a national packet for all races in general. Every race in the game has a unique culture and history that is based on a local chapter's race packets and history. Human race packets should be based on the culture and history of that particular chapter. Could someone give me an idea of what would be placed into the human race packet? Would the national packet contain heroes, lands, history that is not known to other chapters for humans? Can players have a history based on the national packet and would local plots be able to use the information without conflicting or causing conflicts based on the national packet?

I do not want to take anything that add flavor to the game, but I just dont understand the purpose of it.

Chris

soleedge said:
Would the national packet contain heroes, lands, history that is not known to other chapters for humans? Can players have a history based on the national packet and would local plots be able to use the information without conflicting or causing conflicts based on the national packet?

could they? i don't see how... how can there be national lands and heroes? was Fortannis a kind of Pangea once and now it split into lots of different continents surrounded by magical mists, but we all share common ancestors? I'd say no

I'm generally pretty meh about a human packet...

I'd just hate to see another race end up with local rp stuff going national and forcing people to either change their established characters or ignore their packets. And, yes, that's happened.

soleedge said:
I voted I dont really care because I honestly dont understand the purpose for a national packet for all races in general. Every race in the game has a unique culture and history that is based on a local chapter's race packets and history. Human race packets should be based on the culture and history of that particular chapter. Could someone give me an idea of what would be placed into the human race packet? Would the national packet contain heroes, lands, history that is not known to other chapters for humans? Can players have a history based on the national packet and would local plots be able to use the information without conflicting or causing conflicts based on the national packet?

I do not want to take anything that add flavor to the game, but I just dont understand the purpose of it.

Chris

Yeah, that's been my point all along.

I'm very curious as to what would go in this. I suppose an origin story and talk of how humans are versatile, but I don't see a point. I do think there should local packets for different human cultures in the lands, for example if you have human areas that are inspired by different real world cultures or some humans that venerate the undead and chaos or whatever the case may be. As a member of a plot team, I think that one of the nice things about no human national packet is that it is the race I am most free to explore with my creativity to come up with unique and interesting cultures. Don't get me wrong, I can do this with other races too, it's just that for all the Stone Elves have the same origin story, for example, and that I have to work with that. I vote no to a national human packet, but I strongly encourage them locally.

This is why voted don't care. Don't see a need but would not loose sleep if there was one.

Fearless Leader said:
soleedge said:

Chris

Yeah, that's been my point all along.

I am reposting the discussion piece from the race boards here as it is the same exact discussion, and not everyone checks the race forum. By the by, there's more where this comes from... I like writing history/cultural examinations. The key is DON'T THINK HUMAN!!! Also, I think this is the perfect length and not bad on stylizing for a national packet since it gives lots of room for local specifics... I hate having to read a whole novel (slight exaggeration, don't get your feathers all puffed up) to know how to play a race.

evi1r0n said:
Robb Graves said:
Fynwei said:
Our chapter is in the process of making one. I think humans are much more based in the culture of the country that the chapter controls than a national scale. In my opinion, a very basic "Humans are the most populous of the intelligent races. Their cultures are varied, but are generally refined and separate into large governed areas. Their skin tone ranges from very pale peach to a brown so dark it's almost black. They are one of the shorter lived races, generally living 60 years. Their emotions are guarded or unguarded depending on culture, upbringing, and age. The common age of marriage is 20. Most humans are very money and power driven, which can cause them to be easily corrupted. This is not a firm rule though, as many of them are very giving, charitable, and humble; though some of the most powerful and evil necromancers come from this race (this may be because of how numerous they are, however). They can be very shrewd negotiators, though not often as good as Hoblings or Gypsies. Some of them are also very gulluble. In summary, Humans are extremely adaptive to different situations, cultures, and characteristics of other races." Maybe put in a few photographic/sketch examples of acceptable garb for humans including peasant, military, adventurer, and noble. (Probably color would be better, as it can cause more distinction between gypsy-appropriate and human-appropriate.)

I would then let the local chapter expound on that to fit their chapter.

this is brilliant and i'd love to see it in the rule book. i agree with everything in this post.

I concur. Had I at least seen this in the rulebook my original thread never would have started. I would have gone to my local board for a more detailed culture guide.

I'm in favor, because frankly, speaking as a human player...I barely exist.

Humans largely do not get racial plot, aside from the tendency in some places to be "the race that hates the other races" (IE sadeen moor, The humans of Kupspar, etc)
(Which annoys the **** out of me, as I don't think the sum total of the human experience can be boiled down to "we are racists".)

I'll buy the trade off of not getting cool powers because we don't have to dress any particular way, wear makeup, or have any drawbacks.

My single biggest issue with this is that this is a world comprised of all these awesome interesting races with alien cultures and cool powers...oh and humans, who are in no way special, and really have nothing going for them.

Hell, there's really no reason to even play a human.
From RP standards, they get no targeted plot, have no cultural identity, and are largely a blank slate.
From pure minmaxer standards, you get no resists, no skills, bonuses or powers.

I think the mindset at work is "You already know what a human is, so we don't need to put in effort here", combined with the worst aspects of human culture being the only thing that makes it through the perceved wall of blandness.

I, for one would love to see a Human race packet that discusses how, in a world of people who have innate magical powers, terrible strength, mighty blows, and lifespans in some cases in the thousands, that a single race of mostly defenseless people with a lifespan of under a hundred years can create vast empires due to hard work and willpower.

I said yes, but here is my reasoning.
IMO, I would like to see a sort of collected database of Chapter & Racial information.
Make it a compilation based upon how Plot wants the makeup or 'ruling' class to be based upon, basic area history, etc.

While this would not deny/remove any character from being played, being one of a handful in a society can give different RP background to work with (chip on the shoulder, proud history of being decedent of a rare ruling house, or traveler from another location/area where their knowledge of history can be different).

Seattle WA - Area is predominately MEW, Elf & Dryad. Humans, Barbarians, Gypsy are a minority in their culture/location of the Tanyrn map.

Portland OR - Area is predominately Biata, Wyldkin, & Sarr. Dwarfs, Orc, and Ogres are a minority in this location.

All the posts in favor seem to be talking about the human "culture."

Culture is what goes in the local packets, not the national packets.

What exactly would a national human race packet say, anyway? "Humans can be happy or sad, smart or stupid, like necromancy or hate it, eat spinach or not eat spinach..." Seriously, what do you want it to say?

There is absolutely nothing preventing local chapters from putting out human race packets if they want.

Fearless Leader said:
All the posts in favor seem to be talking about the human "culture."

Culture is what goes in the local packets, not the national packets.

What exactly would a national human race packet say, anyway? "Humans can be happy or sad, smart or stupid, like necromancy or hate it, eat spinach or not eat spinach..." Seriously, what do you want it to say?

There is absolutely nothing preventing local chapters from putting out human race packets if they want.

True, but if Lord Barn Goldwyn (all character names based upon fiction) was some heroic human of legend and was the builder of the 1st human based empire in game world, shouldn't things like that be a basis for the regional packets?

Mike, we already did! :p The HQ player's guide has cultural notes for every Ashbury holding, Icenian Duchy and the other Human Kingdoms/Empires/Whathaveyou (though we need to flesh out Lempur now that the curse is lifted). That's about as far as I'm comfortable going with human culture, I'd be upset if there were suddenly a national packet that invalidating one or more of the Human cultures we've been building for 20+ years, and I wouldn't want to force a default culture on another chapter that is doing something equally cool with their humans.

Back