need some garb ASAP

I had counted on someone experenced in sweing and Larps to make a few items for me but alas time is growing short and I dont know if they will come through.

SO anyone know someone who can make a decent Cloak and Vest?
I know that asking for quality, good price and fast work is asking for a LOT but I was looking forward too attending the April 4-6 event
and now im less then 3 weeks away and could be very cold!

FW

Ive seen decent cloaks, and vests on ebay. If you get desperate, you could always cut the sleeves off an old leather coat for the vest...and the cloak...I was considering turning this nice curtain I have into one, maybe you could try that.

Fearless Leader said:
Agahi said:
and the cloak...I was considering turning this nice curtain I have into one, maybe you could try that.

"I saw it in the window and just had to try it on..."

LOL

I found a place to order one hopefully they can get it to me by the event

FW

Dont ever purchase from garbtheworld.com I just keeping hearing all sorts of bad stuff about those guys.. not like 2-3 people but more like 10-20 people I know.

that said.. sewing can be done fast and relatively cheaply...just be creative.. go to a craft store they usually have business cards of tailors / seamstresses in the area buy a pattern buy the fabric call them for an appointment letting them know explicitly what it is your looking for and go from there.

however if your not a bigger guy then and dont need special sizing or anything then http://www.renstore.com or http://www.by-the-sword.com isnt to bad for prices.

by the sword will be a bit cheaper in prices and they have good stuff...renstore is a bit more expensive but the quality is pretty good. I've put a beating on most things I've gotten from either place.

otherwise find some one who can sew and start a sweat shop.

Sorry man... al the people I know who are capable of making that kind of stuff quickly are booked out through probably June or even later :lol:

I'll vouch for the two sites Jorundr has posted though... I and the folks I live with have spent a lot of money at both over the years and they've got good quality, as well as decent prices and shipping times. If I'm looking to get costuming not made by someone I know these are the two sites I use.

If all else fails, just grab a nice wool or fleece blanket and wrap it around yourself for a cloak.

JC Penney's has a decent selection of fleece cloaks in their scarf section. Probably on clearance now.

jc pennies carries cloaks??
cool and kinda odd :)

They're back in fashion, you know.

If you get -really- desperate, you can whip up a tabard in 30 seconds with no more tools than a pair of scissors, although hemming the edges and neckhole is much preferred. Pajama pants are great as well, since they're the same basic pant design that's been used since the Dark Ages. It doesn't take a -lot- to make reasonable looking emergency garb if nothing's glaringly bad. Of course, my current travelling garb for Padraig is down to plaid pants and a quasi-decent peasant shirt with a nifty belt and headscarf, and a tabard.

PJ pants are a good plan... I'd also check walmart for peasant-type shirts (yeah I know that sounds weird, but I'm serious), I've gotten mens shirts with lace up collars that look pretty decent for about $10, also check local consignment or salvation-army type stores. A leather belt with a simple buckle (get it a bit too big and repunch the hole for a little of the "wrap belt" effect), walmart also has leather belt pouches (and canvas ones) in the sporting goods section (try to avoid cammo) or you can go to an army surplus store. Boots for men are the tough one as it's not common for men to wear knee or thigh boots in current fashion... The cheap tabard is a less than fantastic idea (I HATE that look personally, it's SO sloppy, plus if you do it be careful of the color you choose-- you don't want to accidently be wearing the color of the enemy when you roll into town ;))... check ebay B-i-N's for some sort of simple vest of jerkin or doublet to go over it, also you could find something that looks somewhat period at a salvation army (One idea is to buy an old leather coat and remove the sleeves -- might have to do some cosmetic work on the snaps, etc. but it is a quick and pretty cheap way to get some armor points if it's done right). If you have some sewing ability check out this site for some quick tips on easy costumes - http://www.garbmonger.com

Those are my ideas on how to get something together fast.. mostly shop around... sometimes you find GREAT stuff in the least likely places.

Depending on the way you play, there is also a style of English (I think it's called Westchester, but it's been a LONG time since I looked at them) boots that rise to mid calf and are sometimes sold as work boots at Sears and uniform places. I would NOT advise them for a player or character who runs a lot, but they look decent.

I found some nice scurb cargo pants. Deep pockets on both sides great for holding/getting to spell packets quick and EZ.

Boots-wise I just wear combat boots. They don't look perfect, but after multiple broken ankles and knee surgery, I need the support if I'm going to run around the woods all weekend. They don't look too bad so long as you wear your pantlegs down over them.

In ashbury we have cloaks and some garb for sale at reasonable prices ,you might also try erica . Goodwill is also a great place.

My basic cloak and vest came today :)
now if I get back my tunics from a friend I will be all set :D

FW

merchantswares.com

they sell all sorts of NPC and PC stuff

merchantswares.com

the stuff they sell isnt worth the postage they buy to ship it to you. if you look at what they are charging then compare it to by-the-sword.com and renstore.com you might be paying 10 bucks more at either site but the quality and materials will reflect that when it arrives. by-the-sword.com has amazing customer service everytime I've called them...

I fight heavy weapons in the SCA.. which means I'm a bigger guy lol..and they generally always have my size.

oooh a new webbie to check out !! thanks!

Frank Wiccan said:
My basic cloak and vest came today :)
now if I get back my tunics from a friend I will be all set :D

FW

T tunics are pretty easy to make :) if you have a sewing machine you can have a tunic in about 10-15 minutes.

Back