NERO History

elliotbay

Knight
Marshal
I've seen a few references to a NERO conflict, and thus a (fairly recent, it seems) rename to remove that from the name of this organization. I looked at the Wikipedia article, but "a dispute about proximity of chapters" seems deceptively benign to form the basis of a lawsuit. What exactly was this problem?

I don't mean to take up a bunch of someone's time rehashing history, so if there's a previous thread or article discussing it, I'd be happy with a link. I'm just not sure what to look for.

elliotbay said:
I've seen a few references to a NERO conflict, and thus a (fairly recent, it seems) rename to remove that from the name of this organization. I looked at the Wikipedia article, but "a dispute about proximity of chapters" seems deceptively benign to form the basis of a lawsuit. What exactly was this problem?

I don't mean to take up a bunch of someone's time rehashing history, so if there's a previous thread or article discussing it, I'd be happy with a link. I'm just not sure what to look for.
The short form would be that each chapter is given a radius to operate in. One chapter or another was given a significantly larger radius to operate in, and it overlapped in another chapter's radius. Even after the split, two chapters of technically separate games (NERO International and NERO Alliance) would run in the same region, even using the same camps. Someone would hear "those NERO guys" and assume one is the other, and have opinions formed about the groups, even though/if they were different people entirely. I'm sure if someone wants to add tales of skullduggery and such, they'll chime in, but that's more or less the unflavored version.

Ah, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Do you know if there's a similar page that's the story from Joe Valenti's point of view, the lies that are continuing to be spread (as stated in the initial paragraph)? Or are feelings still a bit raw for me to be asking that here? I hope you don't take it that I don't trust Michael's (edit: your; sorry, didn't realize who I was talking to) account, but it is hard for me to believe that one side is completely the villain in this situation, and experience has told me that even when one side is in the wrong, I can often get a clearer picture from hearing that point of view as well.

I'm sure I could register on their forum and ask the same question, but I already have an 11-post relationship with you guys, and I don't really want to show up and introduce myself just so I can ask about this, mostly because I'm afraid I'll get nasty responses. :p

Ah, never mind. I seem to have found http://www.neroalliance.com/, which had what what I was looking for as far as an alternate perspective. Good god, that's a lot of Rs and Ts and and Cos and Incs for one page.

Wow, no matter how hard they tried, its apparently really hard to phrase

Additionally, Joseph made contact with all business associations and facilities that were used by these infringing un-authorized groups, and politely requested that they no longer rent or 'generate money using the NERO trademark while it is being infringed upon'.

in a way that doesn't at least hint at what was actually going on during that time frame.

I remember reading a couple of his online mags as it were.. And he obviously excluded the name Nero alliance from his history. Which is not surprising. And I still have a hard copy of it too. That was atleast many years ago. When I first contacted this group. Glad I came back. All I know is there was alot of drama over the Nero name. And rereading the history refreshes my memory. :twisted:

Lurin said:
Wow, no matter how hard they tried, its apparently really hard to phrase

Additionally, Joseph made contact with all business associations and facilities that were used by these infringing un-authorized groups, and politely requested that they no longer rent or 'generate money using the NERO trademark while it is being infringed upon'.

in a way that doesn't at least hint at what was actually going on during that time frame.

Yeah, he called me directly a few times, and I always quickly (and politely) responded, "Talk to my lawyer, Mr. Ventrella," and that usually ended the conversation right there. Still, I did get a few calls from third parites afterwards asking about him, though...

LordArtimus said:
I remember reading a couple of his online mags as it were.. And he obviously excluded the name Nero alliance from his history. Which is not surprising. And I still have a hard copy of it too. That was atleast many years ago. When I first contacted this group. Glad I came back. All I know is there was alot of drama over the Nero name. And rereading the history refreshes my memory. :twisted:

Few of you know me, my involvement in NERO dates back to very early on, not quite the beginnings. It was Heidi who first recruited me into the ranks of the Monster Marshals back then, after a weekend of NPCing, when all the actual Monster Marshals had been up to 4:00am Saturday Night running the event finally crashed and by 9:00am on Sunday were still asleep, I took it upon myself to organize and get those NPC's who were awake back to work so the players who didnt stay up all night, werent bored all day long on Sunday.

At the time, I worked with Sean Griffin and many of the other Monster Marshals to formalize what a Monster Marshall should be, how they should be trained, qualifications, etc. Alot of the rules and regulations that govern that role were originally put to paper by us.

But to the point of my quote, and this message, is: I would not call anything Joe wrote as history, he didnt "omit" or "leave stuff out", he rewrote it, he made it up out of whole cloth to suit his needs. He very neatly cuts out one of the major points of the old days, is that it was a volunteer organization that many, many, different people put their hearts and minds into, to make it what it is today. Some of the monsters used in NERO and Alliance today, were originally thought up by myself and the people I mention above. The rules, regulations, guildlines, histories and all the other material were a creation of love and imagination by a group of people who enjoyed and had a great time entertaining their friends and family. That it grew beyond that is amazing and wonderful. That someone who had little or nothing to do with the creation could come along and try and stamp their "Corporate Seal" onto it in the name of profit, well, its not surprising but it is rather sad.

Joe can claim his pennies, and I hope he enjoys them, but the true spirit and heart of this game lives on in those who seek to put the real world on hold for a couple of days, forget about profit and loss, and just have a good time. I used to love putting on a costume after certain events and battles during the weekends and sitting in a corner of the tavern and just listening to the war stories told by the players. I never felt as good about myself as I did at the end of those weekends that went really well, when friends, and people I didnt even know, would be packing up, looking and exhausted and beat, but with a huge smile on their faces and tell me what a great time they had. That was the driving force for me. For all that time I held the Monster Master position for NERO, I never once played a PC. I always just enjoyed npcing and making sure the players (and the NPCs) had a good time. The name I post under in these forums, Max the Axe was an NPC created for the purpose of helping out low levels start out in the game, I used him to walk around the camp and gauge what was going on, how the event was flowing. He got the name from a huge silver boffer axe that Kenny Ames gave me.

Sorry if I ramble, but talking about those days, does bring back some memories. Back to the point: My advice to anyone who plays Alliance is to forget about Joe, forget about the lawsuit and everything else that has happenned, those things, really, go against the spirit of the game. Have fun, immerse yourself in the imaganation of your friends, and forget about life for awhile. The one thing you shouldn't forget, however, is on the way out of the camp at the end of a weekend, to stop and thank the people who ran the event, the Directors, the Monster Marshalls (and regular Marshalls), and especially the NPCs. Tell them what a great time you had, tell them a war story or two. When it comes down to it, its the real reason they do this stuff.

My Two Cents,

Max The Axe
aka Neil S.

Great post, Neil! I agree with your point--life is too short to worry about the BS. As someone who just started playing again after a five year break all I really care about is having fun with friends/everyone for a weekend. That's what hobbies are supposed to be all about, right?

I agree, which is why I finally allowed the lawsuit to die off and changed our name (among other reasons). I'm much happier now without Joe and his cronies harassing me, and without that anger hanging over my head. Life is too short, and some things just aren't worth the headaches!

I sometimes wish more people thought that way.

I think you've given Valenti enough rope to hang himself- and trust me, games tend to do much better when you let an irrepairable break just go away. Alliance will rise and fall on it's own merits, and so will NERO, just like all the other LARP "children" the old NERO organization has spawned. As long as people are having fun and the hobby thrives, does it really matter how many games there are or what they're called?

Back