New Acarthia Witnesses Vision From the Spinners About Dargok

Traceroo

Rogue
Good Readers,

Please forgive me if public introduction of this topic seems strange. There was an unusual incident in New Acarthia on the night of Saturday, 12 April 414, involving a creature known as a "Spinner" and a presented vision of our enemy, Dargok the Unkillable. In discussion of this incident, I have discovered that many of those present were not able to perceive all that happened. Even so, many may not understand the events which unfolded before the collective eye that night. I hope therefore to open discussion for universal clarity on the subject.

On that Saturday night, a Spinner opened a rift through space and time to stand amongst the crowds of New Acarthia far to the right of the mob. A Spinner is some sort of creature which I personally believe to be of a magical, or perhaps even "extra-dimensional" nature -- I am a warrior and no scholar of such things, however. Take that description as you will. They are a category of being which takes a role as historians of actions, allegedly with of an impartial view. The Spinners speak in a manner which implies some belief of what I, as a mortal, might name "Fate" -- the concept that events should or should not take place in some prescribed manner. Spinners notate historical events in their notebooks which look ordinary to the naked eye. When the progress of events is interrupted, and "Fate" changed from how the Spinners thought events might unfold, the Spinners destroy the books which record (or prescribe?) those specific events, and they start over with new volumes. Such happened Saturday night. That was the second time that the Spinners have commented on Dargok; let me first educate you gentle readers as to the first event.

In November 413, a Spinner opened a rift through space and time into Deepjugs Tavern in New Acarthia, to introduce itself in a something of a social call. The Spinner explained the nature I have described above, and the use of their books. It shattered one book, and started another with the explanation that adventurers in New Acarthia had managed to changed what I call Fate (my words, not its). On All Hallows Eve last year, the noble court of Tiatar sponsored a social rite to celebrate the season wherein the living might receive messages from those passed beyond the black veil into death. To the collective surprise of all in attendance, New Acarthia witnessed a ghostly vision of the final battle between His Grace Duke Jonathan Tiberion and Dargok the Unkillable. The shade of Dargok ran off into the night. New Acarthia knelt before the shade of our beloved Duke, and offered our thanks for his leadership and ultimate sacrifice. Later, the Spinner revealed that in such interaction, somehow we had changed the flow of events from their natural course, and changed Fate wildly.

On the 12fth of April, something similar occurred once more. As New Acarthia gathered on the field, in fact in the very same spot wherein that fateful last battle of Duke Jonathan occurred, we met another Spinner. A Spinner of definite female aspect appeared, and seemed upset that citizens in New Acarthia are collectively possessed of a certain dagger. This object is an ancient artifact believed to be of nefarious nature, and possibly connected with the undead that takes the form of Nathaniel Worden, former Baron of Rivervale. The Spinner spoke, distressed that Acarthian possession of this artifact was all wrong, and that the Spinner would need to start over with a new book. It released the notebook into the air. Then the Spinner declared, “I’ll show you.” A vision followed which I, personally, believe to be a presentation not of actual events which have occurred, or even which may occur in the future. Instead I believe this to be a vision of what might have been, and which the Spinner believed perhaps “should have occurred” if Fate had followed a certain path.

The vision presented in New Acarthia showed what looked to me like a goblin finding that artifact dagger on the road by happenstance. The goblin presented the dagger to a male ogre-mage, who claimed it as his own.

Our next vision was of Dargok the Unkillable, the leader of the allied forces of the “green races” of orcs, ogres, goblins, kobolds, bugbears, gnolls, and so forth who are Acarthia’s collective enemy from the War of a Thousand Skirmishes and beyond. In reality, Dargok was slain by Duke Jonathan Tiberion in August 413… and then at All Hallows Eve rose from the dead as a shade made flesh by magical or mystical means unknown to us as of yet. In this vision, Dargok clearly appeared to be undead. We do not know if that is true in reality.

New Acarthia saw Dargok wield his infamous two-handed sword with the magical runes glowing blue down its blade (not red as had been reported from the war). Scholars believe that Dargok’s sword, and the dagger aforementioned may have been crafted in a similar era, and may be related. Their use together in the vision certainly lends credence to this notion. New Acarthia saw the undead Dargok battle the military forces of the Duchy of Acarthia. The Acarthian soldiers were slain. Then Dargok used a magical artifact to raise the fallen as undead. From my vantagepoint, I was not personally possessed of the perspective of the vision to be certain that Dargok used the dagger for this purpose, but that was certainly my impression. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

To reiterate my personal interpretation, I believe this to be only a vision of “what could have been,” not what has happened, or even what may yet happen. It was only a suggestion of how events might have transpired differently. If that is so, let us all be grateful that history has in actual fact proceeded as it has.

If you perceived anything in that vision which was different from what I presented here, please do add to the clarity of this retelling.

In service to Acarthia,

Dame Katherine Albright
Knight of Rivervale

Last edited:
Back