New Alchemy gas globe Phys Reps?

markusdark

Knight
I was just forward this info from a friend of mine. I likey alot. What do y'all think for using them in addition to orange packets? They're 3" tall by 2" wide. 6 for $10 (plus tax and shipping I suppose).

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1053-spell-globes.aspx

1053.jpg

markusdark said:
I was just forward this info from a friend of mine. I likey alot. What do y'all think for using them instead of orange packets? They're 3" tall by 2" wide. 6 for $10 (plus tax and shipping I suppose).

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1053-spell-globes.aspx

1053.jpg

Pretty cool but kind of expensive for those with lots of alchemy. Can't make a cauliflower hand either.... ;)

I'd be in favor of discouraging cauliflowers.

These extremely safe globes are made of soft foam and are perfect for casting your imaginary spells on your opponents.

Imaginary???

They do look sweet... but definitely would be a distinct change from the way much of the game works these days...

I suppose I should have said "what about using these IN ADDITION TO orange packets?" ((Made the change in the OP)) Give the guys a choice - realistic alchemy globes or sewn birdseed packets. Since they fall within the specs of thrown weapons, just don't allow any thrown weapon to be colored a bright orange - which I believe none currently are (but I could be wrong).

markusdark said:
I suppose I should have said "what about using these IN ADDITION TO orange packets?" ((Made the change in the OP)) Give the guys a choice - realistic alchemy globes or sewn birdseed packets. Since they fall within the specs of thrown weapons, just don't allow any thrown weapon to be colored a bright orange - which I believe none currently are (but I could be wrong).

I'd want to see some first. How heavy are they? If they're too heavy they'll hurt and if they're not heavy enough, they won't fly well and won't be very accurate.

Those tops would definitely fit in an eye socket. If they got passed, best be ready to hear complaints about thrown weapons.

Oh wait... spell packets are always safe to be hit in the head with.

Unless they have ribbons. Those deadly, deadly ribbons.

They look pretty neat. I actually like the acid green ones, but we don't have anything that requires green packets.

Ezri said:
They look pretty neat. I actually like the acid green ones, but we don't have anything that requires green packets.

yet... ;) LCO plot item here we go hehehe j/k

For the record I'm glad we only have 3 "different" types of packets. (Spell, Arrow, Alchemy) Because if 5 different types of packet colors meant 5 different things it could get all sorts of confused... Not to mention at night when you can hardly see the color anyways... +_+

But these little jars do look pretty dam cool. At the very least I could see having a serious alchemist character carry around a couple for show in belts/bandoleers. Similar to the quivers with a handful of prop arrows I've sometimes seen some elves wear.

I don't think the price is that bad when you consider they'll probably last you a lot longer than birdseed packets and also the time involved in making packets. Our current packets are "cheap" if you don't count the labor involved, including the gathering of materials. But they aren't "cheap" if you take construction time into account.

People would probably also be much more likely to recover their globes if they were using these, meaning you'd lose less of them. They also likely wouldn't be destroyed if left out between events like the millions of birdseed packets that needlessly die every year.

The biggest problem I'd see with these is that you couldn't carry them in your hand easily as people have mentioned. It would be pretty cool to have a bag slung over your shoulder full of these though.

As for the eye socket and thrown weapon issue, packets fit in your eye too. One of the differences between a thrown weapon or regular weapon vs a packet is the mass involved. A much lighter packet is likely to just kind of bounce off and not do any real damage.

They do look cool though.

They sure do look cool. Now, I'm all about safety, but there is a certain level of acceptance that one is going to be hit in Alliance. These look fairly safe even considering the eye issue. Just about anything into the eye hurts and nothing short of goggles or stuffing packets with cotton will truly solve the problem. I think these would be a great addition. Not a full conversion to them, but a careful supplement.

All that remains is someone to bite the bullet and buy a pack to play with and test. Since I talk big I have put my money where my mouth is and ordered a pack. I'll post updates when I get them.

Collin

Duke Frost said:
A much lighter packet is likely to just kind of bounce off and not do any real damage.
Challenge! I contend that spell packets are denser, and often heavier than thrown weapons. As such, they achieve higher speeds and their impact is not spread out over as much space and therefore have greater overall force exerted. Plus, ribbons make them deadlier.

WC Matt, I choose you! Get to it, I know you have the technology!

I have a friend who bought 12 of them for $20 - and for anyone who thinks that that is expensive, well maybe you shouldn't be shelling out $60-80 an event ;) . He says that the foam is somewhere between open cell and closed cell foam. It hits with a little less force than a packet but it is a greater surface area so it feels a bit heavier although that means in the heat of battle you'll know you were tagged. I'll be buying a 12 pack myself in the next day or so so I'll give you a more detailed examination.

If I actually used gas globes I'd totally try these out for style, and I'm sure we can endlessly debate the relative "safety" of many of our thrown objects JP... ;)

But it sounds like many people are willing to try something that might be different but look awesome. Nothing wrong with a little flavor if it fits withing reasonable boundaries of what were used to right?

Personally I'd probably never use them over packets cause you won't be able to cauliflower these and that's a huge tactical benefit of packets. But they certainly look really awesome and I don't think I'd mind being hit by one... we'll see.

jpariury said:
Duke Frost said:
A much lighter packet is likely to just kind of bounce off and not do any real damage.
Challenge! I contend that spell packets are denser, and often heavier than thrown weapons. As such, they achieve higher speeds and their impact is not spread out over as much space and therefore have greater overall force exerted. Plus, ribbons make them deadlier.

WC Matt, I choose you! Get to it, I know you have the technology!

JP, have you actually had safety issues with ribbons or are you making a joke? Most people out here tend to use yarn for arrow packets and it doesn't really seem a safety issue. Are you guys using razor ribbon?

Ow pointy jokes! ow ow ow get it off get it off! :lol:

Back