New Deerkin in Town

Hello!

My name is Jamie, and my Fiance Alec and I are interested in coming to your LARP. We have an idea of coming in as Deerkin or well, he likes to call it Stagkin! We are looking forward to coming out to see you guys soon, but we have a few questions just to get our mind around some things before we come:

1) Are there any other Deerkin? IK, FOIG, lol. My curiosity is because my only concern with playing that animal is that is can be confused with a Satyr, but our plan is to have the elongated antlers so they are not confused with Satyrs which have short horns because they are goats. The fur legs and arms would be the same though. Also of course with Make-up to make us look deer like, I would hope it would be ok.

2) In your rulebook, we noticed that one half and 3/4 in PVC are recommended for boffer construction, however, on your website we notices that 3/4" and "aluminum" pipe are the weapon cores. We personally, are familiar and used to 1/2" PVC weapons(built to the LAIRE Standard). We just want to ensure that these weapons will be legal.

3)We and our group of friends are mutually interested in playing the HQ Chapter as well as the NJ chapter and we are wondering even though there is no "Other Game" Character Transfers, can you hop back and forth between Alliance Chapters as your PC. It might happen that we play one month in PA and one month in NJ and so we are wondering if we can transfer back and forth between Chapters, or if we need to make two separate PCs.

4) We were also wondering if there are other cultures in the game, rather than just the Dark-ages European fantasy. We are just RP heavy players and are always curious as to what our characters could have experienced or been before their coming to the IG town.

5) We have also played games where food service has been included in the event, for a price of course. We have also played games where we had to bring all our food for the event ourselves. We were just wondering if you had a bar with drinks, snacks, and if a feast or breakfasts are done? Just so we can prepare for an awesome time at your game!

6)How does sleeping work at Alliance? Are there sleeping assignments? Do most people bring their own tent or are there sleeping areas?

7)We are planning on submitting our cards and back-stories soon (Love the Character Submission Page). We were wondering if we could get in touch with a plot member or someone who could properly assist us. We plan on making our characters nomadic, so we want to make sure that we don't write something and then find out that such this wasn't possible due to IG circumstances. We love writing our back-stories and making a rich RP environment, for RP is our #1 thing we love about LARPing.

Might have a few questions later, but we are so looking forward to hearing back from you and coming our to see you soon! We might be coming to HQ for your September event(unfortunately I was scheduled for work, but I am trying to switch) If not, I am asking off for the NJ chapter the following weekend! Either way, Alec and I are joining the Alliance!

Thank you so much!

Jamie

Hiyo! I'll do my best to answer your questions!

1 - There is one other Deerkin that I know of, but I wouldn't worry about being confused for Satyr or Fey.

2 - Weapon construction is less about the core and more about the padding on the striking surface. I have weapons from golf clubs to fishing poles to PVC of various thickness. As long as the weapon isn't too whippy and has the proper foam coating the striking surface, you should be good to go. 1/2" PVC wrapped in 5/8" closed cell foam is pretty much standard. If you've got any questions, there are a whole bunch of foam smiths and weapon makers here on the forums who could assist.

3 - The best thing about Alliance is that you absolutely can go from one chapter to another with one PC. I play both HQ and NJ and can easily take my character to both.

4 - There's a TON of history at both HQ and NJ, as well as flushed out race packets at every chapter. I'd contact the plot team at any chapter you'd like to create a character in for a little guidance. We do have the general race packets posted on the forums but each chapter has race packets that are more refined and attuned to their style of game. European Dark Ages is pretty much a blanket, each chapter has so much more than that.

5 - HQ serves Saturday Breakfast and Dinner and Sunday Breakfast and is included in the price of an event (though donations are appreciated!), NJ serves all the same but is an option in addition to the event price. As far as snacks and anything else, that is entirely player driven. Some people bring snacks and such to sell and share, but it's never guaranteed.

6 - HQ has a common sleeping area that tends to fill up quickly but they have tons of room for tents if you have one. NJ has tents available to sleep in (foundation tents) and of course, no one will stop you from setting up your own.

7 - You're going to want to talk to either allianceplot@gmail.com for HQ Plot Team or plot@alliancelarpnj.com for NJ Plot if you're going to choose to have your PCs come from those chapters. They'll help you out with backstory and assistance and such.

I'll be at both Sept HQ and NJ and hopefully will see you there! Also there's the Deadlands (NH) and Gettysburg (PA) running events as well if you'd like to check them out too.

Welcome to Alliance!

Thank you!

1) Yay a herd begins! Jk. That's cool though. Yeah, it was just brought up by a friend it could be confused. So of course just wanted to cover bases!

2) Fantastic, Alec has been building boffers for years! Great to know! And we won't be shy at the event if we have questions!

3) That is so awesome! We actually did find something in the rule book about it after all, guess we missed it the first time! Looking forward to that! We may not be able to do twice a month (We LARP at another game aswell) but if games overlap or we have to miss one of your events it is good to know there are multiple games to go between!

4)Awesome, I have to figure out which one to PM because I work the weekend of HQ this month (but am trying to ask off) but the main game we want to play is HQ. Since I might not be able to switch, our first game would be at NJ, any suggestion on what to do?

5)Fantastic! Great to know!

6)We will look up tents, we have quite a large group and don't want to overrun the sleeping areas!

7)I'll probably PM HQ and then if we start in NJ we start in NJ, we want our characters to come from the HQ camp since mostly we will be attending there!

Thank you so much for your help! Our group is totally stoked and started talking about what we want to do! Hope to see you there and meet you!

i know of at LEAST 2 other deerkyn/stagkyn, whichever you want to call them/yourselves in the game, one plays in Chi/SoMN area, that would be me :D and another that's out in the NJ/PA area. welcome to alliance, and have a great time playing :D

Sean a.k.a. Nahani

Gotcha!

I think I saw a pic of you on google when i was looking things up!

I am a theater major in the focus of costume design, so I plan on doing make-up, but i was curious because my fiance who is also making a stagkin is making a mask for his face. He is using wonder flex but I wondered if latex would be a better idea. That looks totally awesome though! Love love love the boffers!

TY :D

the nice part about the antlers is that its really soft, a LOT softer than a latex weapon. the core is only a couple of intertwined wires(12 gage i believe, might be 10) and foam with a light latex shell over it all. with my rack being THAT big, i wanted to be sure if(and i do often) smack someone with them, that it really can't hurt anyone

I totally hear you on that one.

Even though I am a doe, I am having tiny little antlers, just for a little funzies. Alec is doing the whole shebang. He thought of hitting people too and just focused the antlers inward so that it shouldn't hit people unless they are really in his personal bubble.

This is the costume I just designed for her. It's only draped and pinned at the moment, but it will be awesome once it is completed!

The Under-armor which is the white base underneath is going to be either tie-tied or painted/colored to look like deer fur. The back, sides, and arms will all be brown, leaving the white tummy.

Still have to make her hoofs and fur legs

Attachments

• neena 1.jpg
    neena 1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 547
  • neena 2.jpg
    neena 2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 546
  • neena 3.jpg
    neena 3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 545
Back