New here and looking for info

TruTexan

Hey y’all, if I’m in the wrong place then I apologize in advance. Obviously I’m new here. I moved to the Chicago area from Texas a few months ago and looking for somewhere to play so any info would be much appreciated. I grew up in small town Texas and have been a cowboy, outdoorsman, and athlete all my life. Many have been surprised to hear I’m interested in larp but I’ve always said even the toughest men have a little nerd in them. Anyways, I live west of Chicago now and looking for a place to get into some combat. I’m very casual and really just like to fight and play around, so I could be in the wrong place. I’ve made many of my own weapons and armor and fought many backyard battles but not particularly interested in making a character or anything to serious. If anyone is part of or knows of a group I can get in contact with that just likes to fight and have fun. Id much appreciate the help. Or if anyone is interested in starting something like that I’d love be a part of making that happens. Thank y’all and thanks for the welcome and tips.
Ps. This is all very new to me so please don’t shun me out of here. Thanks!

Hey there! Allow me to be the first to welcome you to Alliance. Combat is definitely a huge part of our game here but it is also very narrative driven with lost of characters and plot lines. Combat in our game can be best equated to weapon tag, hitting your opponent only hard enough to let them know they've been hit. I'm not sure if there are many LARPs out there focused solely on combat and not on any character or story. Some other LARPs worth looking into are probably Amptgard or Dagorhir though I don't know much about them admittedly. Feel free to ask any other questions that you might have!

-Sid

Hello and welcome!

Sid is correct about Amptgard and Dagorhir being great sources of a more rules focused combat sport. If all you want to do is go fight some nerds, those games can be a lot of fun and do not have any role playing requirements beyond costuming.

Alliance is a lot more about playing a character and taking part in a growing world. We all come together once a month for the weekend and grow a story together. All good stories have conflict in them, and in Alliance that comes down to swinging swords, casting spells. Alliance is a very friendly game with a heavy Player vs Game Master style to it.

I saw your not looking for much of a role playing type thing, but I would really consider trying our game out. People are often surprised how fun it is once they get into it.

Best of luck in your searches, hope to see you at a game,
Tristin

Thanks for your help guys. Looks like there is an Amptgard chapter near me. And Tristin I just may have to come see what y’all are all about. I’ve only ever played the combat part but I definitely wouldn’t mind checking out the story area. Thank y’all again!

Back