New person

gwynbones

Hey, uh. I've been into RPing for awhile, know a little about LARPing, and got interested in local stuff through the movie "Monster Camp". (I'd seen SOLAR stuff but didn't know there was anything in the NW). It looks pretty much awesome. Anyway! I figured I'd come to a game day to NPC and see how it goes, but I was wondering if anyone gets together or talks socially outside of the game? I admit I'm a little nervous about showing up to a game having talked to very few people (one, right now XD), and it would be awesome to chat with folks involved on an IM program or something.

Also! During the weekend long events, how is the food stuff set up? Do folks just bring their own? Do costs for playing cover some of that? I am diabetic, so unfortunately I have to keep track of meds and stuff like that, especially during times of high activity, bleh.

hey there! just a quick answer to some of your questions.

i know i personally hang out with several people i met through this game on a fairly regular basis, so i assume other people do too. i understand totally being afraid to show up not knowing anyone. it's a bit daunting in any circumstance. if the solar stuff you've seen is the webcomic geebas on parade, then you've really got a decent idea of how this particular larp works. there are several differences, but they're basically the same system.

regarding food, it is almost always the individual's responsibility to provide their own food. npc's in oregon and i think seattle get food provided at no cost to them; however, with your dietary constraints you might run into some problems. i was diabetic while i was pregnant and it was rather a pain. i brought my own food, but something could probably be worked out if you were to npc. it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a small serving on your person at all times, just in case. sometimes things take longer than expected, or high-energy situations invade the tavern at an inconvenient time.

feel free to pm me if you want to talk or anything, i use gmail's chat program as my im.

thanks for checking us out!

I recently did a weekend-long event, which was my first time RPing ever, having never met anyone else I played with, so I know how you feel, and I wasn't the only one there that didn't know anyone else. I can say, personally, that I generally felt welcome, and had a pleasant time. If I'm able to go to the next Oregon event, I will. If you want to discuss my experience, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Hello! I feel your food pain! I cannot eat any sugar or white flour or like a billion other things, so I brought my own food even when I used to NPC. If you come to an Oregon game, I know that at least two of us have weird diet issues and will understand. People are great about stuff like that. Also, there's always a fridge/freezer and at least a stove and usually a microwave, plus somebody usually brings dishes for everyone to use [and wash!]. For creating a character, I built in some backstory stuff that explains why I won't eat any food that somebody else offers me :). Don't let your diabetes discourage you from joining us!

Oh, one more thing...where are you located? Socializing is very possible if you live near the people who play, and we come from all over...

jaws said:
Oh, one more thing...where are you located? Socializing is very possible if you live near the people who play, and we come from all over...

Oh, man, it's good to hear I won't be some carb avoiding weirdo. But it's also good to know what to prepare (and that there's a fridge! A weekend of beef and cheese sticks was sounding a little unappetizing. XD)

And I am in Portland, in Southeast, the Mt. Scott area.

Back