New player choosing chapter

mguarino

Artisan
Marshal
Hi all,

So I've been playing tabletop RPGs for quite a long time, but I'm completely new to LARP. I'm really excited to try it out; everything I've seen so far looks awesome. However, I'm currently a student at a college in Philadelphia and there don't seem to be any Alliance LARP chapters in the area. As I don't have a car, I'm not really looking for the closest chapter to Philly so much as any chapter that's easily accessible by train/bus/public transit/etc. I'm willing to travel pretty much anywhere within say, five or six hours of Philadelphia. Could anyone recommend a chapter for me?

If there simply aren't any, does anyone know of non-Alliance LARPs that fit the description I'm looking for?

Thanks!
Mike

P.S. This is an extremely long shot, but alternatively, is there anyone out there who's planning on attending an event between now and May and passing through Philly? If you drive me to the event, I'll pay for gas!

Right now you have yer choice of 3 chapters within driving distance of Philly.

The Headquarters chapter is in Montrose PA which is about 3 hours north. I play there, we have a bunch of players from Philly and KoP too.

The Crossroads Chapter is in the Catskills in NY but is about the same drive time as HQ from Philly. I don't play there so I don't know much about it other than it is a level Capped game (lower levels).

And lastly, we will be having the brand new Gettysburg Chapter open this year in... Gettysburg. It's an 18+ chapter with adult themes and I can't freaking wait to play it because I live in Lancaster and it is only an hour and a half away from my house.

You also have the option of the Alliance New Jersey Chapter which is very close to Philly. We are playing at Camp Amity in Waretown, NJ and have a few Philly players who come to our game!

133 Jones Road
Waretown, NJ 08758

about 1 hr 20 mins from Philly!

If you have questions please feel free to email us at gm@alliancelarpnj.com

Erica

The awesome thing is bro that you can take the same character to any/all chapters. Being an alliance all the games follow the same rules/structures pretty much. I myself play in 3 different chapters and there's folks that do even more. It's awesome for diversity.

Aggravain said:
The awesome thing is bro that you can take the same character to any/all chapters. Being an alliance all the games follow the same rules/structures pretty much. I myself play in 3 different chapters and there's folks that do even more. It's awesome for diversity.

Absolutely, theres some great games out there and a lot of us travel. the Alliance community is pretty amazing and youll have fun whereever you decide to play

to add to your original need, Catskills has a train which goes directly to their game and they have a shuttle service which they pick up players. For other games if you post on the boards there is usually someone who wants a ride and is willing to chip in for gas.

First off, welcome to the Alliance (if you so choose to play with us and you totally should). If you are forced to travel by train I know the Crossroads site is less than a mile from the Otisville train station and as long as you let somebody know ahead of time we can swing by and pick you up. After you go to your first game you'll meet some people and realize they live nearby or drive past you on their way to games and 99% of those people are usually willing to carpool if you throw them few bucks for gas. Crossroads and I believe Jersey offer new player training at their games and is geared towards helping out those who are new to the game. No matter which chapters you choose to play at, however, there will always be people around willing to help you out.

I would recommend for at least your first event that you come and NPC. It will give you the chance to play using different styles and classes and help you get a better idea of what you want your first character to be as well as a chance to learn some of the rules and a bit about combat.

Dom said:
I would recommend for at least your first event that you come and NPC. It will give you the chance to play using different styles and classes and help you get a better idea of what you want your first character to be as well as a chance to learn some of the rules and a bit about combat.

Yeah, I'm planning on NPCing my first weekend to get a feel for the rules/combat system. Also it looks like it's free to NPC at most chapters so in the very unlikely event that I don't enjoy it, I won't be spending as much money. (I can't see that happening though, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love it!)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Allow me to recommend the HQ opener as a great event to learn the ropes. The NPC stat cards will be very friendly to new players and the weekend director loves new NPCs. :D

-MS

additionally, we have a few different caravans that leave from Philly to go to HQ.

Two or Three cars leave from my place in the Northeast, crash space is always available the night before and night after, and we'll always make room for another friendly face. And like i said, that's just me crew- there's another from closer downtown and one or two from near KoP.

I also tend to run a lot of fight practices,about one a month or so starting in March. Not always on weekends, and sometimes really short notice, but free training. PM me if yer interested.

Back