New Players' Questions!

Byunny

Hi there, everyone! Nice to meet you guys~

I'm Eric, part of the string of trial memberships you've probably noticed in the pre-registration thread. We're all part of the RPG org at Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh, so we're bringing along nine new players to Alliance! We're all really excited to take part this upcoming event, but we had a few questions.

We've been talking our character stories recently, and it's come up that we don't actually know anything about the current, current events. Not so much secrets as things everyone who exists in the world would probably know about, like the fact that the world is apparently covered in a Nausicaa-esque forest full of giant mutant bugs and Home has gone the way of Atlantis. Even fresh adventurers might have noticed the sinking of a continent. Our poor Hobling scholar was startled to find out that everyone he knows might be dead!

If anyone has any broad strokes information on what's been happening since the recent history of Ashbury was last updated, that would be really helpful, thanks!

Hey there, always glad to see some new players to our game here. Here is the really high level view you requested, from someone with a fairly good idea:

Coming in on two years ago, really starting in the Spring of 2016, a wave of green washed over the entire continent...essentially the whole game world if you will. Part of the first wave included just that...a large tidal wave causing costal flooding and the whole sale disappearance of several islands which were home to several cultures. As the tide of the greenery progressed there were waves of killer plant monsters seeking to kill all the people of the land as well (for the most part at least).

The military forces were distributed across the land trying to safeguard evacuation after evacuation as no one was sure where the tide would end. Nation after nation and people after people fell as the line advanced Northwards. Over the course of the year some small areas were granted protection from the over growth. The area the events usually take place in....a town called Fairdale...is the Southwestern most settlement that was saved. Some others include the former Ducal Capital City of Ashbury City, and some other locations. (Some people are still compiling this information). This all ended in October of last year.

After a hard winter the survivors have tried to rebuild, but as always conflicts arise. There are battle to be waged, in particular against there "bugs" you mentioned. At the same time, the whole system of governance and the hierarchy of the Nobility was changed. The King and Queen are the same, but the relative positions and functions of most everyone else has suffered some level of change.

As of this time many people are likely still separated with each other, it is very possible people who scattered in different directions seeking safety have not found each other. The opportunities for story crafting along those lines is almost endless.

I will not go into specifics right now, because some of that might be insights players are still seeking at this time. However, I hope this is somewhat helpful, and hope to see you soon. Please feel free to reach out again if you needed clarity on a certain point. Feel free to send me a personal message if you like.

Joseph Siegel

Thank you so much, Joseph! That's really helpful for us to figure out where our characters stand in general as we show up for our first event. Would be awkward for someone to say they just came from somewhere not realizing it had been destroyed by killer plants two years prior, huh?

Hi,

I'm part of Eric's group of newbies. I'm posting this question here in case other players find it interesting or useful.

My character is a dryad who I'm thinking woke up fairly recently, like in the last year or so. I'd imagine that, as a dryad, she has a very different opinion and experience with a tidal wave of plants taking over the world. I even heard that the plant takeover was caused by an angry dryad. So, I was wondering:

1) What experiences would my dryad specifically have with waking up mid-plant apocalypse?
2) What is the dryad society in Fairdale like right now, and what is their general take on the plant apocalypse/present situation?

If anyone who's been playing recently, but especially a dryad player, can answer these questions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Bobbie

You should request one of the cabins so you can be together. You should check out the guilds they are fulled with friendly and very helpful people. The in game decorations are to die for. We also stock pile makeup, feathers, spirit gum and liquid laytex, and face gems, as well as real first aid.

Hey All!

Thanks Heidi and Joe for jumping in with some info!

Our new player contact is Bobby Stoel - AKA Hal Bluewater. Find him in game - he's a real cool guy and he likes doing his job. :) He'll be able to show you around where everything is (both IG and OOG) and get you situated. You're also welcome to poke into NPC camp if you need a staffer for anything at any point - just announce yourself at the door by shouting "PC!" so we know you're there and we'll come help you out.

Looking forward to meeting you!

-Michelle
HQ Head of Plot

Hi,

I'm part of Eric's group of newbies. I'm posting this question here in case other players find it interesting or useful.

My character is a dryad who I'm thinking woke up fairly recently, like in the last year or so. I'd imagine that, as a dryad, she has a very different opinion and experience with a tidal wave of plants taking over the world. I even heard that the plant takeover was caused by an angry dryad. So, I was wondering:

1) What experiences would my dryad specifically have with waking up mid-plant apocalypse?
2) What is the dryad society in Fairdale like right now, and what is their general take on the plant apocalypse/present situation?

If anyone who's been playing recently, but especially a dryad player, can answer these questions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Bobbie

Hi Bobbie!

It's really close to the event but plot would love to work with you on this. Can you shoot us a message at allianceplot@gmail.com?

Also, anybody else in the group that's got character ideas please reach out to us so we can get everyone situated. We'll be running a new player mod for you all on Friday night so please make sure you check in with NPC camp when you arrive.

See you soon!

-Michelle
HQ Head of Plot

YO!
Welcome to the forums! I'm looking forwards to meeting you guys on site. As Mich said, I'm Bobby Stoel and I'm the New Player Liaison. There's a lot of thing I can fill you guys in on, but perhaps that might be easier in person.

Feel free hitting me up on facebook. Search "Bobby Stoel" I'll be the one that looks like this.

Attachments

• Robert Stephen Stoel.jpg
    Robert Stephen Stoel.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 3
Hi Bobbie!

It's really close to the event but plot would love to work with you on this. Can you shoot us a message at allianceplot@gmail.com?

Also, anybody else in the group that's got character ideas please reach out to us so we can get everyone situated. We'll be running a new player mod for you all on Friday night so please make sure you check in with NPC camp when you arrive.

See you soon!

-Michelle
HQ Head of Plot

I just saw this post and sent an email; I hope it's not too late for the Plot Committee to help me out! I'm sorry for asking so close to the event, but hopefully it'll still be fun this weekend regardless!

Thank you!

Carnegie Mellon? Are you kidding me? That is my alma mater and I still live less than 2 miles away. If you folks need anything just let me know.

-MS

I had sent a bunch over to your group coordinator. Please dont be afraid to reach out for clarification. ashburygm@gmail.com

Back