Newbie Question

So I'm a Human Fighter with Archery, One handed edge, Florentine, Two Weapons, and blacksmith. I'm a little confused as to what kind of weapons I can carry. I'm thinking about a long sword and two short swords, but from ready the rule book, I don't think this is possible.

What weapons can I carry? What weapons should I carry? Also, for a archer/fighter, should I consider another race?

Thank you in advance for your advice!!

You are able to CARRY any weapon you want, you aren't necessarily able to use them though. If you really wanted, you could tote around a big two-handed blunt, but with your current skill set it'd not be usable as a weapon. You may only USE two short swords (or daggers), one long sword, one long sword one short sword (or dagger), one bow, or one bow and a short sword (bow for blocking only if you're holding the short sword in your "arrow packet hand") at a time. No dual wielding long swords. CARRY as many weapons as you have tagged, repped, and can feasibly carry if you want.

with One Handed Edged, Florentine and Two Weapons, you can wield two edged weapons simultaneously, so long as one is a "long" category and one a "short", or both are "short". that means:
  • one longsword, one shortsword (very popular)
  • one spear (considered a long weapon), one shortsword
  • longbow, shortsword
  • longsword, shortbow
  • longsword, dagger
  • dagger, dagger
  • shortsword, shortsword
  • shortsword, dagger
  • any combination thereof replacing "longaxe" and "shortaxe" for their similar couterparts
  • other combinations with similarly edged weapons in a long/short or short/short relationship

as an archer, lotsa people use the Longbow, Shortsword combination: at close-range, you can block (though not strike) with the Longbow and strike with the Shortsword; at long-range you can sheath the Shortsword and squeeze off a few shots with the Longbow (which is base 3 damage). advantage: the ability to shift between styles quickly. disadvantage: short strike-range when in close combat, no off-hand damage in close-combat. the companion style is shortbow/longsword which trades a point of base damage at long range (as shortbows are base 2) for a longer reach when in close quarters

your longsword/shortsword, with an extra shortsword and bow packed away should be fine. it's best to try numerous styles until you find something comfortable

in terms of race, you should worry about what you really like playing the most, and let the points sort themselves out. the build advantage or disadvantage evens out really quickly so while an Elven Fighter/Archer might gain three build at the start through racial advantage, those points aren't so impressive if you don't like playing a pointy-eared, fee-fee, snooty grampa-race (plus, by level 10, those three points are minuscule anyway). choose a race based on temperament and you'll be a lot happier (as long as you don't choose Hoblings who can't be fighters or Sarr who can't use archery ;) )

haha - basically, what she said; should have read before i posted. i suppose repetition is good for the soul

If this is your first time playing the character, you won't be given all those weapons (maybe that's what you're thinking of?) but you can certainly acquire them in-game while adventuring.

According to the rulebook, page 76, as a starting character you get 12 copper pieces, one weapon per weapon skill (One-hande Edge gets you the Longsword you wanted and Florentine/Two Weapon give you your Shortsword) and Archery gives you with a Bow or a Crossbow plus 20 arrows/bolts depending on the weapon selected.

The section also implies that you get armor, but it is not stated. Most chapters give new characters starting armor points based upon the evaluation of their armor/costume at the first event.

So, all-in-all, when you start you can get 1 Longsword, 1 Shortsword, 1 Bow/crossbow, and 20 arrows/bolts. Or, if you prefer, you can get other weapons in lieu of the Longsword + Shortsword.

And use is per what Fynwei stated.

Back