News about Brooks?

I know they're evacuating part of Goldendale but I don't if the ELC has been affected.

Brooks Memorial Park lost 100 acres in the 700-acre park. They also lost two of their pit toilets.

What I've managed to find out about the site's condition so far.

Per the latest fire map, the northern part of the fire perimeter is square on top of the ELC.

yeah, it's right that at the end of that finger...

To put it in context, the nuns from the bakery were the fighting the fire when it first broke out, the Monastery is less than half a mile from the edge of the ELC.

jpariury said:
Thanks, Leigh-Anne,

Hope the rangers are safe. They're cool peeps. :(

I do too.

The fire area is still about the same, however, 64 buildings are now reported as having been destroyed. At this time, they don't know whether the buildings were homes, recreational or outbuildings, the count was made via a GPS flight.

Per the latest update and fire maps, no structures at Brook are known to have been burned, however they are going by what was visible from GPS flights over the fire area and most of the buildings at Brooks were not recorded, burned or otherwise. However, the Monastery next door had no losses and the large majority of the lost structures were far to the south of the camp.

If we have to reschedule because of the fires but things are in hand and they need help doing clean up come that weekend, I would be able to help out on it.

Yeah, I was thinking that if our event has to get moved, I'd put out a call for volunteers to help with clean-up, if they're taking 'em. Seattle and Oregon are also working up a letter of support to the state parks group and the rangers.

The link that I supplied earlier has been updated with new information and a much better map of the fire. From what I can tell on the map, the fire went through the ELC. :(

kiarra said:
The link that I supplied earlier has been updated with new information and a much better map of the fire. From what I can tell on the map, the fire went through the ELC. :(

It's pretty close, but actually looks like the fire went around most of the camp.
I holding out hope that it came through.

The fire started near Brooks, but swept to the away from the area, the ELC buildings are in the zone were the fire went through, but the majority of the destroyed buildings were to the South. I have heard that 5 cabins in the fire zone were destroyed, but I do not know if it was at Brooks, there is a resort nearby that was in fire zone as well, plus there are a number of private vacation cabins in the area. In all, 108 buildings were destroyed, the website lists 79 as outbuildings and 29 as homes.

It's 70% contained as of this morning. I was thinking of waiting until it was all out before I call the State Forestry service to find out what's the what. These things have a bad habit of going wonky. :(

So, just heard back from the WSP - I'm given to understand that the group camp just across the creek sustained some damage, but the Brooks ELC has come out of it A-OK, with no damage to any of the buildings and everyone doing fine. So, we're still on for our event, yay!

jpariury said:
So, just heard back from the WSP - I'm given to understand that the group camp just across the creek sustained some damage, but the Brooks ELC has come out of it A-OK, with no damage to any of the buildings and everyone doing fine. So, we're still on for our event, yay!

It is unfortunate that the group camp sustained some damage, I am very happy to hear that the ELC and the rangers are doing good and not hurt or damaged.

Good to hear.
Sadly, I might not be at the event (or at least not until mid day Saturday).
The bank is sending me to Phoenix for that week, I fly back on Friday. Last time, I got home at 8ish.

Back