Notes from the Lore Masters' Guild - Theatre of the Dead, Lost City - various, Kamala, Misc. Letters, "They," & Dark Elven Prophesy

These notes are made available through the efforts of the Lore Masters' Guild Members, and specifically due to the efforts of Mevanwy Atrepides. The printing bears the mark of the Duchess Elavir, an official publication, ordered by Midnight with full permission of Mevanwy Atrepides.

The title reads: Notes from the Lore Masters' Guild - Subject: Theatre of the Dead, Lost City - various, Kamala, Misc. Letters, "They," & Dark Elven Prophesy

Theater of the Dead
Director: Jarlissa
Narrator: Chorus
There will be four scenes

Act 1
They set the stage first: “Tonight is a retrospective on the rise of power of Sark”
- He made a dark discovery in the howling woods
- There was a dark pool. From it emerged a “thing”
- The “Thing” bestowed upon Sark an item of dark power, and then possessed Sark
- The bargain was struck
- The being was from “outside of Fortannis”
- In 417, Sark became the leader of the Vilker
- Dargok chose Sark as his Visen
- In 417 and 418, Sark controlled Dargok and made him… [someone interjected at this point and I missed a spot]
- 419, The Outsider possessing Sark wanted Sark to spread power, but Acarthians stymied his attempts
- Acarthia has not succeeded yet. They hold a hat which was important to Sark before he was possessed.
- Tonight at 11 bells, we will meet the forces of Sark.
- 8 elements (Sark Slayer Poisons) will be required
- Should all attempts succeed, they will remove the Outsider from Sark’s body and it will be banished; Sark will die

Act 2 - THIS HAS INFO ON DOOMWING AND ENTROPY
Players (not sure if this was applicable or important): Arlen played a woman; Jax played a man; Jinn played a monster
- Two black dragons were studying magic in harmony
- A threat arose that even dragons must attend to
- From “outside”
- The outsider craved the lifeforce of all in Fortannis
- Dragons fought the outsider
- Path 1 (male dragon) was through artificery; creating artifacts of enchantment
- Path 2 (female dragon) wove a cloak of necromancy around herself so the outsider could not leech from her
- Entropy and Doomwing
- The only point they agree on is that all outsiders must be defeated
- A name was said, but it was hard to pronounce. There were varying reports on what this name was via Acarthians after the theater of the Dead. It was something along the lines of “Triarthilis” or “Triarcolyps”

Act 3
- This one involves Dreadrot (Lich)
- Once a dryad became a lich known as Dreadrot
- They were the most powerful lich aside from Entropy, and they knew many would challenge them.
- Dreadrot created phylacteries and hid them across the lands
- They protected these with wards, passwords, etc
- Long-standing traditions were used
- “Ephrendel Marlockney” - Maybe a password?

//Then Dreadrot ACTUALLY appeared//

- He invoked the ancient rite of the pact of the dragon
- Tarnikesis appeared
- There was an arrangement: If the rite is spoken, being is protected from us.
- Dreadrot gave Tarnikesis a black rose
- He says too many Outsiders have come here, going to protect the land by turning
everyone necromantic
- Note: Dreadrot has a spinner book
- He says he will begin his plan to corrupt the Land Bond Stones in Yalinth
- “Guardian dealt with Kamala”

There seems to have not been a 4th Act, unless the 4th Act WAS Dreadrot appearing.

==============================================================

Other Notes from this Gather:
- Through a magical chess game of sorts, the Acarthians learned the locations of all of dreadrot’s phylacteries. Speak with the barons to learn more
- More notes on Dreadrot and the Lost City (called “Carthago”) from a ghost
- “A dark dryad was there for a year and was trying to study the magic of their well. At the end of the year, the dark dryad left, and their magic suddenly started acting chaotically. As they say, the “magic went wrong”.
- Within three days after the dark dryad left, the well cracked
- Several days later, the explosion happened which destroyed the city

- Mevanwy note: “this is in line with the stories of what happened to the city, and some believe that maybe he grew frustrated at not understanding the magic and eventually used the magic of the well to protect his phylactery. Running hypothesis.

- Ghost Maureen Raynesford. Her husband Shawn started evacuating people (roughly 1,000). Several days after that, the city fell. The cataclysm felt like an earthquake.

=========================================================

- Lost City (Carthago) Notes
- Each gate has a different key. A Spoon for the first, bells for the second, have been used. A coin is believed for the third, and a prospect has been found. It has not been tested yet “Creators” made the art in the city
- About 1,000 made it out of the city before the cataclysm. Of them, 500-ish remain alive
- None of those did NOT make it out have ever made it to the land of the dead.
- We obtained a map of the city. The well was in the center, where the most could benefit from its powers
- Most important Tenet: Always tell the truth, we don’t lie, and we always hold to our word
- In the library, the colored stones do different things:
- Green Stone activates art to tell stories
- Blue activates water fountain
- Purple is for the statue
- Gold Stone is for the museum
- The Well
- The well is full of mana
- You could remove it from the well in various forms: water and dust
- Magic in the well is very different from the magic we know. It would provide whatever you wanted your force of will or imagination. For example, the ghost we spoke to was a glass artist, and could make the dust into glass.
- Inside Gate 2:
- There was a man-shaped hand with a gold-colored circle inside. It is believed the coin as the key will be placed there with a hand to open the next gate; this has not been tested much yet.
- 1st Room: there was a statue
- 2nd Room: Two murals
- Mural 1: A group of finely dressed humans and a pair of stately dryads whose leaves are just starting to turn. They are depicted with yellow, orange, and deep red leaves. Both groups are smiling as if renewing acquaintances
- Mural 2: There were runes
- There were water fountains. The blue stones made them shoot water. It does not seem yet like the water does much, but we didn’t have time to test it, so I took some samples in bottles I had on hand.
- City Administration Building was here
- Notes it gave on the 3rd gate: Take one of the earned medallions
and state one of the prime tenets of our society.
- We asked “What are your people called?” - Not available
- “How do you obtain a city permit?” - Types of permits: building permits, agriculture, farming, water sanitation
- “Is there a museum in the second ring?” - Not here.
- There’s another colored stone…. Silver. We don’t know what it does

===============================================================

- Notes on Kamala
- The being who came to me… She is a spirit, not a ghost; not undead. She does not have a living form, but is not resurrecting
- In my head I heard this:
- “An ancient one is stirring. Something recently shook him. He is confused and is drawing essence from something near him (Kamala believe this “something” is a people, a race)
- If he is not kept at rest, what happened in the warm months will feel like nothing (Mevanwy Note: It was later learned that this event likely referred to what was done by some Biata. A big ripple … there are more notes elsewhere).
- The magics have split
- Need to cast Blissful Rest using both earth and celestial. Mevanwy has notes on the fortunes.

===============================================================

Lost City Notes from Other folks
For once I am going to make sure to transpose my notes quickly and ensure you get a copy of them before I forget all about it. These notes concern the most recent expedition into the city of Carthago that took place in March. For this endeavor, my crew ended up comprising mostly a six member traveling entertainment group known as The Lute and Crow. They, along with another traveling bard by the name of Philip as well as myself, meant that eight of the twelve adventurers on this party were traveling performers. There was much battle music, and I believe a Motive was even hit over the head with a lute. Oddly fitting seeing as that our final quest ended up being the search for music. The members of our adventuring band were (excusing spelling) myself, Malachi, Alish, River, Phillip, and Martin, in addition to the six members of the Lute and Crow: Lee (the Lute), Velacorvis (the Crow), Sparrow, Katira, Knock, and Lancus.

When we first arrived in the city at the next gate with the handprint, I pressed my hand with the medallion previously recovered into the palm print and promised the door I would not lie (in as close to the words of the code of chivalry as I could remember). At this point, the door opened up to reveal the next circle of the city and the next gate. On that gate were the words "Sing me a song of Carthago." Thus we set out to explore the next level of the city and discover a song of Carthago.

We soon encountered the Motive monsters and dispatched those that stood in our way. But then we began to hear ghostly music drifting through the ruins. So obviously we followed the music, as any other course of action would have been unthinkable.

Members of our party began reporting glimpses of spirits that seemed to be watching us. Martin was the first, but others saw them as well, as did I. In a larger courtyard we discovered a specter more solid than the others, singing a song about her love of Carthago. As we heard the tune and began singing along, the specter faded away.

We then entered what appeared to be a music shop in hopes of finding what we sought, the lyrics and music to this lovely song we had heard. Unfortunately, no luck. As we exited the shop, a very loud spirit appeared and shouted for everyone to flee to the center of the city. As we ever so bravely ventured in the direction she indicated (not running in terror at all, I might add), glimpses of ghosts also fleeing appeared around us.

When it became clear that what we were seeing was not a current emergency, but rather an echo of the past, we ventured down a narrow, rubble strewn street and came upon an amphitheater. Thinking this could be another place to find a song of Carthago, we entered. And indeed, there was a spirit singing. We approached and conversed with her.

She informed us that it seems that spirits of those who lived in Carthago are trapped still in the city, unable to move on (which matches tidbits of information I gathered about Carthago at the Walk of the Dead). And in fact it seems that the Motives are the actual remnants of some of those spirits. Emotions ran strong in this city, she said. So strong that they powered the magic of the place. She begged us to try to free the spirits by entering the center of the city. When we asked her to help us get through the next gate by teaching us a song of Carthago, she directed us to do research in the library.

So we returned to the library in the second ring of the city. Their music section was heavily damaged and required a lot of digging to access. But eventually we were able to plunder its depths and discover sheet music for the song the spirit had been singing. In addition to that and many crushed toes from falling rubble, we found a multicolored stone.

This stone is silver with a rainbow ring (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet from out to in) surrounding a gray circle on which is set a gold numeral 3. Unfortunately this stone was split through the center during our battle to get out, but hopefully with a little alchemical paste the crack will not impede its functions. We returned with the stone and the music. I have since translated the full text of the lyrics and done my best to copy the music. Chord markings are original, but I have transpsed the song up a bit to be in a comfortable register. I believe this song will open the next gate and allow further exploration of the city. There were also other texts we came across that we did not translate at the time. I believe Sparrow is in possession of those.

Best wishes
Blaidrym Tywill

===========================================================

Your Graces, Duke Wagerset and Duchess Elavir of Tiberion.

I write you in the hopes this finds you in sound mind and good health, as things seem to be in short supply lately. I write out of the utmost concern for His Majesty, and hope there may be some insight you may be able to share on the situation.

Shortly after returning from the Gather early in the year where your Predecessor’s Spirit Farewell was conducted, His Majesty has been taken to a fitful rest. It started as what seemed to be genuine grief over the loss of one of his most trusted allies. The Royal Chamberlain reported His Majesty taking long walks in the darkest hours of the morning along the palace walls. I thought nothing of it at the time, but in the intervening time since, the situation has slowly deteriorated.

His Majesty has taken to several private meetings per day with the Grandmaster of the Vigilant, discussing the rise of Dreadrot, and other topics I am not privy to. He refuses to join Royal Court, leaving much of the duties of dealing with the Old Families to me. Needless to say, his absence has not gone unnoticed, and the Families grow restless despite my best efforts.

That we support His Majesty and the Crown during these dark times is absolute, yet one such incident gave even me pause. This is when His Majesty’s own son, His Highness, Prince Michael came to call on his father, and was refused outright. Still, His Highness persisted, and was eventually allowed to see His Majesty.

What happened behind closed doors, I cannot say, but it is known His Highness was seen leaving late that night with his entourage, back toward the Moorefield estates, to which he never arrived. What is more troubling, is His Majesty refuses to speak of it, and rumors are beginning to boil over at the court. And while he continues his council with the Grandmaster of the Vigilant, His Majesty is clearly not well. His eyes are sunken and deep lines have appeared on his forehead. He is often unkempt and unshaven, having dismissed his chamberlain who has been with the Moorefield family for some forty years. Until very recently, he has been able to put forth a strong face to those that he would meet with.

I am deeply concerned for the well-being of His Majesty, and my investigations have lead me to your Gather earlier in the year. I have no more information than this, and it is my distinct hope you may have some insight into the matter.

May the Light of Acarthia Forever Shine

Royal Seneschal Sir Jamie Whitehall

================================================================

Lost City Notes from Other folks
- As we walk up there seems to be more wildlife and fewer people in the howling woods
- We use a secret entrance usable during daytime, but you need to use tracking skills to cover your tracks so that this entrance remains hidden
- Entering Ring 7 (Adventurer Level 1) - It is propped open, but once used a spoon to enter. In general, you just have to put something from within the city into the drawer, but again it’s broken so you can just get in now.
- Had a library we visited
- Entering Ring 6 (Adventurer Level 2) - rung a specific charm near the doorway
- In Ring 6 is the City Administration Buildings
- Entering Ring 5 (Adventurer Level 3) - had to hold a medallion we earned into the space, while reciting one of the tenets of the Code of Chivalry
- There were spirits present in this ring, and they are still there now. These spirits are essentially echoes of the past, of moments of panic from the cataclysm, ghostly echoes of memories from that time.
- There were amphitheatres and theatres on this level
- Entering Ring 4 (Adventurer Level 4) - We had to sing a song (which had been found in the Library in Ring 7) to open this door
- Ring 4 has the museums… lots of museums (think like Washington DC, and the Museums on the Mall)
- There was one more in tact than others, an that’s where they found Franklin, as well as taxidermy animals who were mixes between two animals
- Entering Ring 3 (Adventurer Level 5) - There is a Sphinx who says “Tell me what you learned on the outermost ring of the City (Ring 7)

- Things we said:
- Ring 7, the thing we learned was “thou shalt not lie.”
- Ring 6, the thing we learned was “thou shalt perform thy duty wherein it is not contrary to the laws of the land.”
- Ring 5, the thing we learned was “thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.”
- Ring 4, the thing we learned was “thou shalt be generous and give freely.”
- “Knowing what you’ve learned through this point, what do you believe you must do to pass through me to the gate behind me”
- We must give freely. Mevanwy pulls out a spare dagger, as she felt that the denizens of this city had needed a way to protect themselves. The dagger disappeared and the gate cracked slightly
- It seems we each needed to give something
- Blaidrym gives up an endow potion, because he felt they could’ve used strength. It disappears and the gate cracks more
- To test, we Putting money did not work (elaborate later)
- Quin places a notebook full of notes he’d taken regarding some craftsmen skills he practices. He gave knowledge. The notes disappear and the gate opens more so that we can see inside
- In ring 3, we see a mountain before us, the remains of a path is there… very crumbled.
- Quin uses Craftsmen Botany, and learns there were temperate, northern rainforest plans, conifer trees and ferns. There’s not many deciduous trees
- Quin moves ahead and uses rope to Notes on the encounter to assist

============================================================

“They”
They says “I have been trying to learn how to re-anchor my home to the land. But it seems to be elemental in nature. I have a lead via an artifact, though ...ummm… a bit flame-touched in the head from my experience.”
- They needs us to acquire this artifact for them.
- They seem to either be marked or aspiring to be marked by an element.
- On the encounter
- We walk up, there are people with flam motifs woven into garb that looks to be or warchester colors maybe? (not sure if it’s related or simply to match flame colors)
- “You seem very knowledgeable about elements, and are marked by air. Why are you seeking something of the flame?”
- Bluwolf says that we’re all of the same whole, and together we are unity, so it’s important to help each other out when we can. And flame has come to us so that we may help in this endeavor. I am representing not just myself, but also my elemental faction. Currently there are those who seek this artifact so that they may aid the forces of flame.
- We follow the flame aspirants inside and there are a couple more flame aspirants inside. They say they’re looking for someone named “Cromwell” who would be better able to speak with us.
- “How can I help you folks? …. Korric is that you?” (Yes) “what brings you about?”
- Korric: “we were tasked with helping acquire an artifact for an ally to help them align their shard with ours?”
- “Like those outsiders I hear about?”
- “More aligned to the spinners”
- “Ah good”
- We go to a forge, which seems active and well-lit. There is a man there. Cromwell gets his attention. Cromwell goes to teh forge and talks to it, and from it a humanoid flame being flows out.
- “You do not seem to be flame aspirants. What brings you to my temporary home?”
- (we recap the quest…. again)
- We negotiate for the ever-burning coal. They require us providing fuel to provide similar levels of heat for a full year in exchange.
- …. People suggested providing the bodies of undead we may kill.
- Bluwolf
- Baron Morningtide: “We don’t know who “they” is, and “They” wants
- …. In less than three days time, we will provide the first batch of resources to them, so that we may take the coal now

Discussions with They
- They gave his true name to the first person he came upon here, and that name was used against him. About his people and his land: “My peoples name is lost to time, but we have been calling ourselves the “Shae” or “Shae’vaari”. From the writings we still have, we were part of THIS shard, but there was damage to the land and our people fell /off/ this shard
- Her Grace mentions it could have been during the second age when teh dragon’s war occurred and the world fell apart.
- “Are you a mortal race?” … “they” believes so.
- They’s goal is to bring his people back to our land so they are no longer lost to time or fate, etc.
- The nobles ask if They knows his people would be thrust into a land at War, and They says that he is assisting us and hopes maybe the land will no longer be at war when all is said and done.
- “How did you find us?” They responds by saying they knew that their home existed. They and his people researched for a long time and found a bridge. They is who was sent to cross that bridge and speak with us.
- “My name is Leome Falstaff”, ---- The being once called “They” is now “Leome”.
- ….[[missed some notes here. Compare with others]]
- “Where would you adjoin our lands?”
- “Would you assure us that if you rejoined that it wouldn’t simply be a continent falling to the earth and crushing everything?” …. Response: “I believe it would be more seamless.
- Size of the Populations? Leome says ~2,500 people within the city
- “Do you know anything about Carthago?” Leome says the name sounds familiar, vaguely. Perhaps it was a land that was here when they were here.
- “Is this the only land you’ve come to outside your homeland? Considering how fragile this land is, …. If we lose our war, do you have other options for lands to attach to so that you’re not stuck to a new land instead?” Leome says “Our bridge was attached to our original home, and I do not know if we can exist if attached to other lands aside from our original home.
- “What else is involved aside from this artifact?” Leome says it would be a ritual of unity. I asked Bluwolf if it is similar to the Ritual of Unity described in his odd little pamphlet.
- Yes, however we just need powerful representations of the elements, so maybe we can use elementally marked folks and fill in for the rest
- Ritual is invoked “at the right time”. The elements will form together to connect the bridge. We ask what “the right time” is, and Leome says “There are times when the Spinners have to re-adjust fate. They quietly engage in actions to ensure this shard falls to fate, and at such time the ritual would be performed so that when these actions are performed by the Spinners that Leome’s city may be included in the reforming or repairing or re-shaping of the shard at that time.”
- We clarified that this does NOT mean they can only come back when we’re on the brink of destruction, though it is an example of a time when the Spinners could be required to perform such actions.
- The ritual holds dangers for those who participate, wherein the representations of the elements are consumed in the ritual. So we should get aid from elementally marked folks where able, but not use those folks AS the representations of the element
- Is the flame element representation the only one we now have or do you have others?
- They already have representations for Order and Chaos as well as earth already in tow.
- So to have the full ritual, we need air water, life, and death
- Fynn: “did the elementals come after your, or the Spinners?” The suspicion they have is that there was sufficient enough damage to Leome’ land that when they repaired the strings of fate on this shard that Leome’s land was simply sloughed off. Not necessarily true, just their running suspicion

========================================================

- What the Diamond Oracle shared: Midnight and Cendorn adventured to the Dark Elves beyond the Scorched Desert. The Dark Elves met us there and had an oracle who warned them of our coming. They delivered a message from this Diamond Oracle. The words were “a smiling white mask only smiles while the nightmare walks.”
- Theory: the nightmare might be Dreadrot. However they think it might relate to the situation They is in with home

Midnight is working with the Duchess to distribute this document to all corners of the shard so that all may know. Acarthian Riders deliver these to taverns and inns across the entire shard. He makes special care to have them delivered to the Dark Elves and the Dwarfs as well. Lastly he includes a copy to Aetheria, for Neysa.

Back