November Rules Clarifications

Tayl

Several rules clarifications from the November game. I apologize that they’re getting out so late, I’ve had a busy offseason! There will also be another post in the coming few weeks with rules clarifications from Mod Day.

“How long do you stay dead before you need to resurrect”

As outlined in the book on page 90 of the Alliance Rule Book, A character will first bleed out for one minute, then be dead for 5 minutes, then their body will dissipate and their spirit will seek resurrection.

“Is there any way to stop people from rifting?”

The rulebook, Page 73, has this to say about rifting.

Rift: Some creatures can open a rift to another plane or time to allow for entrance or exit. This is a three-counted action. (“I rift in one, I rift in two, I rift in three.”) When rifting, the creature may also be able to take items and others along, even against their will. You need to be conscious, able to make decisions, and not be completely immobilized in order to Rift. Opting to expend a smart defense will interrupt it.

This means that if you are looking to interrupt a creature from rifting, you must immobilize the creature entirely (ala Prison, Paralysis, Sleep), or force them to use one of their smart defenses like Dodge, Phase, or Resist Magic.

Clarification regarding Create Undead:

When a character is turned into undead via the Create Undead spell, it does not stop their death timer. E.g. Grunt is killed by a necromancer, and immediately after he dies, the necromancer turns him into a lesser undead via the Create Undead spell. After 3 minutes of fighting his friends, they finally kill him and he falls to the ground. Since he has only been dead for 3 minutes, it is still possible to life him.

In an alternate scenario, if it takes Grunt’s friends 7 minutes to kill him, as soon as he runs out of body his body will dissipate, leaving behind all of his belongings. This is because more than 5 minutes have passed, and Grunt’s spirit will have already left his body.

“Is it possible to flub a prepare to die skill?”

It is entirely possible to verbally flub physical skills, like prepare to dies. This would be difficult to do, but can be done by stating any portion of the prepare to die incorrectly. e.g. "Prepare to die, slay 30 Normal" would be a flub, as the correct call would be "Prepare to die, 30 Slay" or "Prepare to die, 30 Normal Slay".

Flubbing a prepare to die skill will NOT expend the skill.

“Do NPCs need their cards marked/signed for KBA and Ensure Resurrection?”

Yes, any NPC that goes out and seeks to ensure resurrection, or gives killing blows, must have the proper documentation on their monster card. The rulebook has this to offer for exact wording:
“NPCs are only allowed to give Killing Blows if the documentation gives them that ability. This includes taking actions that are equivalent to “forcing a resurrection” such as pulling a dead or unconscious character behind enemy lines, placing that character in a Circle of Power or behind a Ward or Wizard Lock, or otherwise hiding that character in such a way as to prevent other players from finding the body. This does not include standing over the body to prevent the person from being saved, which is perfectly allowable.” Pg. 28

“Can an NPC Alter the shape of an existing prison?”

No.

“Does monstrous strength automatically equal the ability to deliver massive-like damage?”

This question is entirely up to the marshal for the specific scene, but as a whole it does not allow you to normally deal damage to people inside of a prison. There are situations where Monster Strength could allow a character to perform an action (Like throwing somebody off of a cliff) which would cause damage to a prisoned person.

Last edited:
Back