Of Tea and Daydreams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapaki

Marshal
Iso'bel sat in her usual corner spot in the Ogre's Head, idly stirring honey into her cup of tea, nose buried deep into her studies. She was in here often enough now (usually between clients) that the barmaid didn't even roll her eyes anymore when she asked simply for hot water, and a small plate of biscuits and root vegetables. Perhaps they found it added a certain... charm to the place to have among their clientele a well-groomed, bespectacled rabbitkin sipping tea and pouring over medical texts.

After her journey through the mists the previous fall, Iso'bel had come to appreciate, and even enjoy, the atmosphere in the tavern. There was friendship (well, between the brawls Artie inevitably quashed), there was joy. There was... life... here. The camaraderie she had found those few days amongst the "Breachers", as they were called, reminded her of the time she had spent out on the road with Sophia and her crew when she was younger, sating her need for adventure and knowledge. It had reminded her that there was life beyond her books and clients, although she enjoyed that existence as well.

A cold breeze crawled over her feet and she looked up, seeing the door to the tavern closing behind several people, clearly a group. She perked further when she saw that they looked dressed for travel; but as cloak hoods came down and they headed for a table, they were faces she did not recognize.

Iso'bel unconsciously sighed and sank back into her chair, deflated, but then caught herself, surprised at her own disappointment. She really did miss it. And them. She longed for adventure again. In equal turn was the embarrassment, however, over her hasty departure the last she saw them in the fall, and her subsequent absence from Garridan's trial. It had stayed her paw from correspondence since then, so they had probably all forgotten about her by now, lost in whatever intrigue that had found them in the mountains.

Oh well. More time for study, she thought, sighing again and flipping the page of her book.

Last edited:
Throwing open the door to the tavern, Morrigan strolls in and after a moment of letting her eyes adjust to the dimmer light, looks around for familiar faces. She smiles when her eyes land on a companion she hasn't seen since their trip through the Mists. Striding over to her table, she says "Iso'bel-lass! It's good ta see ya it is! Might I join ya?"

Iso'bel heard the door open again to the tavern, quite roughly, and the familiar cold breeze pass over her feet. This time, however, she paid it no heed. Focused on her text, she leaned forward, reaching for her teacup and taking a slow, thoughtful sip.

Diagram A. There are signs of bruising and prior damage seen in the left occipital lobe, portions of the temporal lobe and frontal lobe. These were noted to be affecting the subject's ocular function, and were thought to have occurred earlier in the subject's life, after a fall caused their first death. For this not to have been repaired upon resurrection, and to be visible after their final death is unpreceden...

An unmistakable voice she had not heard in a long while sounded from the front of her table, startling her so completely that she squeaked in surprise. Unfortunately, this happened at the precise moment she was about to swallow the mouthful of tea she had, resulting only in her choking instead, the drink coming back up her nose and the cup slipping from her paw.

Panicking, she leapt up and grabbed for it before it could clatter to the table and spill on her work, which in turn sent her staff, which had been resting against her hip, towards the floor. Her leg jerked out instinctively to catch it, but with the bond she had to it, it simply rolled down her shin, catching at the crook of her ankle.

She stood there for a moment on one leg, tea cup awkwardly held in both paws, staff balanced off the other leg, coughing and fighting back a sneeze from the liquid in her nasal passage, before looking to the source of the voice. *cough* "Uh... hi, Morrigan. *cough* ...hello. Good to, ah... see you again?"

Last edited:
Reaching out a helping hand to that startled rabbitkin, Morrigan laughs. Taking the tea cup from Iso'bel, so that she might retrieve her staff easier, she sets the tea cup down on the table. Motioning to a barmaid passing by, Morrigan orders up more hot water for her friend and an ale and stew for herself. Still chuckling she says "Ach lass, sorry 'bout that. I dinna mean to scare ya. I'm glad that I bumped inta ya though." Taking a seat at the table Morrigan keeps talking, allowing Iso'bel the time needed to sort herself out again and get comfortable.

"Ya see, Hamish is goin' on a mission comin' up here soon, it'll be another step towards his knighthood. But I canna go with him as I have a duty to help Isawda right a wrong done by us, we dinna mean ta do it, but done it was and it needs ta be fixed. I hope it isn't forward of me ta ask ya if ya wouldn't mind goin' with him on this mission, if ya have the time that is. Perhaps ya could keep him alive the silly wee fool that he is. He'll be takin a few others with him o'course, but none o' them healers....and we know how he likes to get himself into a pickle now and again." Morrigan laughs a little at this and settles back in her chair more comfortably.

"No matter. It is an unfortunate law of nature and reality that I spook so easily. Sometimes more the rabbit than just Kin." Iso'bel chuckles lowly, gratefully allowing Morrigan to take the cup from her paws. Reaching for the kerchief in her side pouch, she dabs first at her shirt and watering eyes, then blows the remaining liquid out of her nose. By some stroke of the Tree's luck, no tea actually spilled on anything... except herself.

Seating herself again, she reaches down to right the staff against her hip, and begins to close her books and stack them on the seat next to her, making room for the other woman's impending meal. Following her words fairly well, but not completely understanding the context, she waits a moment after Morrigan settles back to reply:

"Ah, wow. Sounds as though life has been... busy... in the Breach? Perhaps it is not my business to inquire what this wrong is that you have done that takes you and Isawda out of the picture, but if your husband requires my assistance to keep him and his fellows alive to see out their quest, then I... accept... if they will have me." she nods, folding her paws on the table to hide their trembling - part in excitement and part nervousness - and continues, "When would I be required, and where would I need to be? I can make arrangements to cover my work easily enough, but if travel is required, that takes time."

Last edited:
The front door to the tavern opens, a cloaked figure appears in silhouette against the light spilling from outside. The figure approaches the bar weary and tired from being on the road, he grabs a drink, and then walks over to the table with Iso'bel and Morrigan. Pulling his cloak off, Garridan flashes a smile at the ladies, "Afternoon ladies it's been awhile. Nice to be back amongst civilization." with that he tips back his mug and drains it.

Iso'bel looks to the man who just sat at the table, and nearly leaps out of her seat again.

"By the Tree and all the Courts, Garridan, you are alive!" she exclaims in astonishment. Realizing what she just said, just how much she was leaning forward, and that her forepaws were suddenly and inexplicably on his arm, she withdraws them back onto her own lap and sits back, suddenly bashful. "Well, not that there was any doubt... but this is certainly a relief."

Last edited:
Garridan smiles at Iso'bel's excitement, "Indeed, I've managed to hang onto life a little longer. Sad that we've lost a few this past year. I'm actually sad I'll never get to see some of Vaegar's crazier plans come to fruition." He chuckles and waves the server over, "A round for my friend's, in honour of the lost."

When the drinks finally get to the table he raises his glass, "To Krow and Vaegar!." He drains the glass again. "Those Reaches are thirsty work. But anyhow, what's new? I hear we're off to aid Hamish in another of his silly quests to gain knighthood."

Iso'bel grits her teeth angrily; two more vicitms Death has taken. Two more she could not prevent. She thinks back. "I do not recall meeting Vaegar, and Krow only briefly. Still, the loss of a Brother will be long felt." She takes the drink offered to her and swirls it berween her paws slowly, staring down into the dark amber liquid.

"In honour of all the lost Brothers..." her voice grows quiet and reflective, "and Sisters. To Vaegar, Krow... and Salvia." She drains the glass, and winces, feeling the burn of the alcohol travel down her throat. Ah, yes, there it was. She knew there was a reason she did not drink.

Looking back up to Garridan, her gaze is of inquiry. "The Reaches? As in the Dark Reaches? Is that where you've been? I fear you may have a more interesting tale than myself when it comes to current events." She chuckles softly. "Who am I kidding? You would anyway... I am just a midwife. As for the quest, Morrigan just informed me. I know not much more than that I am to attempt to keep you gentlemen alive."

"So grey. so very grey." Garridan says while shaking his head. "I was searching for the king or at least maybe some information as to his whereabouts. I found nothing but rumors which leads me to believe that he is un-captured as of yet, and still alive. If the Syndicate had him again, or he were dead, they wouldn't be keeping quiet about it. Luckily I didn't run into too much trouble." Garridan shrugs his shoulders and drains the last of his drink.

As far as the weekend goes, it'd be nice to have a little more information on what exactly we're doing. I've been restocking my Legerdemain kit in case we run into anything. On that note, if either of you come across any reagents, let me know. I am looking to obtain some reagents, in particular Wand & Pyrotis. I have other items to trade and money as well. The enchantment on the sword I recovered from Duke Arturus Mortis is getting weaker. I imagine it's only got a few months of life left in it before it becomes a mundane blade, so I am going to need something else soon. Maybe a blade with some spellstrike of some sort...", he trails off and with a gesture waves the thought away.

"One would think if someone... or something captured the King, they would be broad-casting that knowledge." Iso'bel nodded, pouring herself another cup of tea. "I have had heard a few rumors as well, especially that one about his supposed trip north. One of my clients, in all seriousness, asked me if that is how polar bear-kin were made. Ha! I think my expression alone discouraged her from implying the same about my own sire."

"It would indeed be helpful to know more about what were heading into, or at the very least, where we are going." She leaned back in her seat, holding her cup. Her eyes quickly darted to Morrigan (who had been strangely silent, staring blank-eyed into her stew since Garridan sat down), before feeling as through she could relax. Ever since their trip through the mists, she felt he was the only other she could truly let her guard down around. She knew exactly why, but it was not something she liked thinking about. "Granted, my task is rather clear. I will come armed with all of the healing, potions and protection I can muster."

"As for the reagents you seek; unfortunately, I have none I call my own at this moment. The enclave provides them, so long as we are not selling the service." She holds up the wrist of her free paw, indicating the bracelet upon it. "It was my first ritual to make these, and it was only through over a year's service that I had earned them, and did not have to pay for the material. I have improved my skill with formal magic since then, so should you find what you need, I am willing to conduct the ritual, if I am able."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back