Official Edict from the Pure Lord Council of Sadeen Moore

To the nobles and good people of Eire, and her Bastions:

Since the Withering began, the Pure Lord Council of Sadeen Moore has publically acknowledged that the alchemical technology of our nation is crucial to the survival of the mortal races of Laerthan.

Additionally, while one could live a thousand natural life spans and still not count the disastrous effects of magic on these lands, to date, the Council puts forth that there has not been one verified account of an unintended, negative or catastrophic effect resulting from Moorian Alchemy.

Therefore, any law upheld within an allied territory or nation which, by indirect implication or overt action, is applied in a manner that leads to confiscation from Moorian citizens that which is considered legal alchemical possessions within Sadeen Moore, will be viewed as a pernicious attack on the defenses of our nation. In addition, the Council proclaims that such a law will be treated as a deliberate attempt at undermining the technological and cultural advancement of our people.

With recent events having brought our fair nations to a greater accord, in which Moorian and Eireann citizens have been permitted to walk freely among each other’s nations, it is with tremendous disappointment that we make this proclamation:

Credible report of an otherwise lawful Moorian citizen being stripped of his or her alchemy, under pretense of public protection, application of law, or through unwillingness by Eireann authorities to protect our citizens from such violation, will be treated as an act of war upon the people and nation of Sadeen Moore.

Such is our promise,

Pure Lord Council of Sadeen Moore

Pure Lord Califus

Re: Official Edict from the Pure Lord Council of Sadeen Moor

As one born of the continent of Eire and one now living amongst the great people of Sadeen Moore I have to say that both edicts sadden me greatly. At the last gather you may ask MANY adventurers that were present, who was helping to heal on the last day of the gather when magic abilities began to fail them due to overuse. It was those of us with knowledge of "unusual" alchemy that healed many. I understand that the edict posted by the Justicar states that we must get a license for our alchemy, however if that person handing out licenses is so inclined, they would be able to deny us the ability to use or even carry these life saving gasses and elixirs.

It also saddens me to hear that if a citizen of Sadeen Moore is unaware of this "unusual alchemy" edict and happens to walk into the Hollow with their (until recently illegal) legal alchemy, they could be stripped of said alchemy and even fined great sums of money for its use or even its possession. According to this statement, these actions would cause a war. A war, we as a once-free people, cannot afford. I say "once free" because it seems that our freedoms are stripped from us annually.

If my safety is dependent upon my alchemy, and you strip me of my ability to heal myself when alone, then you seek my death. If you are seeking my death your intent is murder. Murder, as I last read in the laws of the land, is a crime. No matter if it is performed by a servant or a noble. If I send a fighter into battle without a weapon or shield, am I not seeking his death?

Would that I were a true citizen of Sadeen Moore, for though they are against the use of magic, they have never asked to keep a registry of those able to manifest aura. They simply ask that you not use it while in their lands. If you are asking that I not use certain protective or healing alchemy while in your lands, then you have made an enemy of your friend.

Tzydl

((sorry I was on Deb's puter when I posted that. it really is from tzydl not deb))

Goodwoman Tzydl,

I encourage you to consider the other side of your argument. At present, there is no recourse whatsoever for legal use of magic in Sadeen Moore. Neither its citizens nor visitors are given even the option of attempting to register with the Pure Lords as a person permitted to use magic in self defense; there are many people who have no other means of protecting themselves. I put it to you that until recently, the Sadeen Moorians did far more than just forbid the use of magic in their borders; they actively sought to stamp it out wherever it could be found. The measures that are now being put in to place, with two months of warning, are to provide a failsafe in the event that the Moorian alchemy proves unstable. I have faced their alchemical monsters in combat and I have no wish to do so further. It would be all the worse to do so if the monster had once been a subject of Eire who, by living within a bastion I am sworn to protect and keep safe, it was my duty to defend. When our new friends of the Moore permit a citizen of Eire to identify him or herself to their nobility and request and be granted the right to not be prosecuted for defending themselves magically if that is the only means available to them, then we will still not be on equal ground, as there remain many alchemical substances that are not restricted by any means. As it stands, Eire is far more accepting of Moore than the reverse, even when this new law goes into effect in two months time. In Stoneroost there are no laws against the memorizing or casting of celestial magic, despite the fact that its people suffer physical discomfort from such. Count Vigilance has not outlawed Charming or Dominating effects used in self defense within his lands or even his presence, though he finds them offensive. I should think twice before claiming that a blanket ban of magic is simple or freeing when compared to a requirement that people unskilled in alchemy or unsound of judgment not use some few alchemical substances. If you truly fear for your safety within the bastion, do what all citizens of no martial training must do: learn to use a sword or wand, or stay close to someone who already has.

I have heard rumors that these licenses will be denied to members of the general public, or to individuals who do not directly serve the duchy. This is untrue. The purpose of the license is to ensure that those attempting to use these new substances are individuals able to and willing to learn and follow certain minor safety procedures. It is not unreasonable to attempt to protect the under-trained or unwise from themselves; certainly it is reasonable to protect the innocent from the foolhardy.

I invite you, goodwoman, to obtain the sponsorships needed to apply to be the Licensor Alchemical for the Hollow. Seeing as you feel so passionately about the subject, perhaps you should attempt to constructively participate in order to advance your agenda, rather than casting thinly veiled accusations of tyranny and murder or making dire pronouncements. Until the new year, your alchemy is still entirely legal and protected by the law. Your libels, on the other hand, are not. Make no mistake: you are freer under Eire's laws than you could possibly be anywhere else on the continent. Would you prefer the bondage of slavery to a vampire? To abandon yourself to psychic domination? To submit to the whim of a crazed mummy? You will find no more compassionate and lenient monarch than Beah in many lands that do not suffer as ours do from so many monstrous overlords. If you wish to be free of responsibility to your nation, the deadlands are just outside the fires. The safety of the Bastions, your portion of the Harvest, your option to resurrect in an Earth circle, these things are privileges earned by adhering to your civic duty. They are not rights you possess simply by dint of being able to have an opinion. They are granted by the crown, and can be withdrawn.

I would prefer that there be no more civilians offering rhetoric on the matter. I have already begun a discussion with the Pure Lords as to how to reach an equitable compromise on the matter of Moorian soldiers present as part of sanctioned military aid. There is no need to complicate matters with the oratorical opinions of the under-informed and over-impassioned.

-Francis Duke Southkin, Justicar of Finn Castle and Steward of Chiram's Hollow

Back