Ogre cultures through out alliance

Friend and I are creating Ogre characters and are trying to research their culture but can't find race packets from all the chapters except nationals. If your have an ogre character can you describe your culture?

Here are the race packets for SoMN and Chicago. I play a High Ogre from The Sheltered Lands (SoMN) and I was one of the writers for the Chicago packet, so let me know if you have any questions on either.

Hi David,

So we typically don't send out our race packets unless you are creating a character from our chapter specifically. There is some specific information regarding our area and races from here in particular. That is probably the same reason why you wont find chapter specific race packets just posted on the boards here. I suggest sending an email to the plot team of the chapter(s) you are closest to and let them know that you are going to be making a character there.

Hi David,

So we typically don't send out our race packets unless you are creating a character from our chapter specifically. There is some specific information regarding our area and races from here in particular. That is probably the same reason why you wont find chapter specific race packets just posted on the boards here. I suggest sending an email to the plot team of the chapter(s) you are closest to and let them know that you are going to be making a character there.
I was mostly looking for broad concepts that ogres have in common. For example do all ogre battle for dominance? We have no ogre in my chapter that are active. We might be able to write our own race packet but we wanted some inspiration and common themes to work with if that helps. Why don't people share race packets anyway? So people don't meta game?

Thats pretty much what the national packet covers ( http://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/national-race-packets.16480/ )- the bare bones basics of what they all have in common. The thing about the design of alliance is the mists- this amorphouse stuff of 'sorta nothing but sorta something' mystical hoopajoo basicallymakes each chapter like an island set on the same planet but as much divided from eachother as continents by seas (angry, angry seas). So you get a galapagos effect culturally. They're all yellow, they all have tusks, they all have stuff that the national packets go over, but because the populations have been mostly separated by space doing weird mystical... stuff... each chapter is a bit different beyond those basics shared. Essentially so long as you dont exclude the non negotiable content from the national packets, you have a lot of freedom to ad on top of them and do your own game's particular flavors for your local one.

My advice is if you are going to write local packets for your races, do them all at once and have some relation to each-other in the writing rather than doing them piece-meal. you'll end up with a more developed, cohesive, and roleplay-interesting world setting
: )

And yeah, some people think people will meta-game if everyone has access to all packets or that it will somehow "spoil the magic"... I dont beleive this, I think providing racial info is the best way to inspire new players and create better play dynamics- But Alliance has a culture of just mostly (not all) doing it that way, it seems.

Last edited:
Why don't people share race packets anyway? So people don't meta game?

I think there's a more practical reason. I, for one, wouldn't want someone using my Plot team's packet for their background unless they were going to play in our chapter, because you're ultimately "representing" our story, even if you aren't participating in it.

Edit: Also, while you might have been just looking for general information to use to piece together your background, that wasn't necessarily obvious with the origination of your post. :)

For the record, Alliance Seattle has their Culture Packets available to the public. You can find them here; High Ogres are part of the Blackened Reaches.

Also note that the Elara packet is out of date due to in-game actions by the PCs. 90% of the Elaran's are now dead because of the PCs.

I think there's a more practical reason. I, for one, wouldn't want someone using my Plot team's packet for their background unless they were going to play in our chapter, because you're ultimately "representing" our story, even if you aren't participating in it.

Edit: Also, while you might have been just looking for general information to use to piece together your background, that wasn't necessarily obvious with the origination of your post. :)
I can see how it can be unclear. I personally feel that if a player is only using it for backstory purposes I would be fine having them use a packet I wrote. But to each their own and obviously its a chapter by chapter thing. Thanks for your help!

Most chapters don't share race packets unless your PC is from said chapter. Personally I prefer it because it allows players an opportunity to learn IG about them rather then reading about, such as I have at GB chapter with the various elves and human culture.
Each chapters races are unique in their own way, and it's a lot of fun to discover them.

Back