OOC Cooking Stall Information

CONTACT INFO: TheForgewright@Outlook.com

We're opening a food stall!

Two new players coming in, and we're diving headfirst into a project that we really want to try. Both of us love cooking and want to be a part of the action, but don't want to focus heavily on combat so we are opening a market stall for something that cannot be replaced by in-game production rate calculations, real food! We admittedly don't know what the food plan is like yet, and we are not trying to be anywhere like a replacement, but we will be preparing comforting treats, portable snacks, cultural oddities, and all done in character!

Fair warning, this is our first time cooking outside a well stocked and fully kitted kitchen, so... this may be a disaster the first few times.

Services:

---Food---
We are planning on having a selection of dishes reflective of comfort and hospitality as well as eclectic Barbarian tastes each meeting. Dishes will be simple, aiming to be portable snacks during the summer and warming dishes during the colder months.

We are aiming to have one (race in flux) and one Barbarian themed treat, a side or two and maybe a dessert treat with sufficient supplies to feed the whole game a selection of their choice.

Food is free OOC and is being sold IC, though in minor spoilers:
At least one of the vendors is a pushover that doesn't really understand commerce and simply wants to feed people, so do with that information what you will. Also he's really bad at spotting thieves. Like, really bad.

---Cooking On Demand---
We really like the concept of 'You bring it, I cook it.' If you want something prepared, we are VERY happy to cook it for you on the spot, no warning needed. Will have a basic spice kit for French, Indian, Korean and Eastern European cooking (maybe more) and will aim to have a surplus of staples such as grains/beans/rice to put with things and can always bring more from home on request. Have dealt with everything from standard American fare to rabbit, yucca, venison, squash/gourds of all the colors of the rainbow, and are always willing to try our hands at anything we can look up!

As a note, if you want to use a whole animal such as fish or chicken as small game hunting brought for cooking, please have it cleaned off site, as we want to be courteous to our hosts. You can leave feathers/scales/fur on, but offal (as useful as some bits are in cooking sometimes) makes a mess when removed. Most meat and fish markets will clean as requested. We will cook any edible bits you bring, just have them separated!

Again, OOC this is done free, IC it's a business.

How to Contribute:

We know people generally like to pay for their food, but this isn't a business we are running... at least OOC it isn't. That being said, we love when people join in on the fun and help us make amazing things!

---Grocery Donations---
We love cooking, but our more ambitious projects are not something we can bring by every meeting. If people want to support this project we will happily accept donations in a tip-jar style setup and are happy to provide grocery receipts and post credit to those that contribute. People are by no means obliged to contribute, it just means more roasts and rich dishes when it happens.

That being said, direct contribution of non-perishables is also appreciated, basically anything that will last 2 months on a shelf. Beans, rice and other grains are cheap and keep on shelves for ages. While we would like to keep things period, any donations of canned/boxed items will be considered exempt of this, as the handicap is for us, not for you! We'll keep a can opener on hand just in case.

Coordinating with us is also appreciated. If you want to see something nonperishable cooked and you are willing to provide part or all of a recipe's ingredients, we will make a production of it and sing takes of your generosity for the ages. Also, we can work out some excuse for you get free food IC for a while, not that this is hard considering:
One cook forgets to collect money half the time!

---Utensils---
If anyone has cast iron cookware that they don't use, do want! I find a lot of kitchens put them aside if they start to rust, but all that means is they need some care. I am happy to polish and refurb those pieces in exchange for their use for the session and whenever you feel like bringing them. If you want to offload them, we will take them and care for them, or hold them for as long as you care to lend them to us if you eventually want them back. We won't be accepting taking things home on loan until we're sure that we are a good fit for Alliance Chicago as we don't want to hold often expensive tools that belong to other people, but keep it in mind if we make this a habit!

---Eat!---
Seriously, this is what we are doing this for. The challenge of using period methods and having people eat our cooking is what we are after. Just by trying our food and sharing the experience, you are contributing in making this a success. Build the hype train!

You too skinny! Eat!

We can make this happen, but it will have a Dwarven/Barbarian twist! Expect either a stand in for a tortilla with mushrooms or nonstandard ingredients... or both!

I just realized I have to create an entire tribal food culture. (insert expletives here) Okay, challenge accepted. First step is staples! It's always staples! Hijacking this post to start this. Will also post recipes we make in this thread in later posts once we test them and they are proven a success, so that will be full disclosure of what's in each dish as well so people can avoid allergens.

(NAME TBD) Tribe food culture

INGREDIENTS

Staples: Farms are planted, left to grow untended and returned to at harvest season, so wheat is uncommon. Generally they use oats, buckwheat or sweetstone (cornmeal is acceptable as a stand in for our non-fantasy purposes). Rice has been taken a liking to and is more common along their border, so they often trade hides for packs of the staple.

Dairy: Heavy in eggs, they keep three laying birds minimum per person as pets (since I have the benefit of being able to talk about chickens for hours). Milk is common as well, as they keep cattle for beasts of labor.

Fruits/Vegetables: Heavy use of seasonally available vegetables and pickled food. Fruits mostly consist of forage, leaning towards apples and berries, usually added to savory things.

Spices: Prized in spices are peppers, garlic, lavender, cardamom, tarragon, coriander, tumeric, cumin with whatever they can trade for mixed in. They love pungent and spicy food.

Meat: Chicken, beef, goat and wild game. Nothing goes to waste.

DISHES

(Pending)

¡This sounds really exciting! You've probably been told, but there's a tavern crew that already cooks meals for most everybody all day Saturday, so you might wanna coordinate with them to ensure all toes remain unpinched OOG. IG, ¡I'm looking forward to a culinary battle royale! Little known fact (everybody knows), pastries are the way to an elf's heart.

We know and are buying meals ourselves. Definitely not looking to be in the way for them, we just want to create treats that aren't practical to produce en masse and reflect period cooking methods, plus maybe some engineering know-how added on.

Our dwarf will be using camping methods a-la 17th century (figure the dwarven part-time smith with cooking 10 have slightly better tools than most), and I will be /trying/ to cook via primitive cooking methods. We'll see how far that gets, I still need to knap my cutting tools!

Pastries are on the menu! This month I will be making a sweetened campfire biscuit with fruit or our dwarven chef will be making a traditional apple pudding to go with our dishes.

Last edited:
Also, we will stagger our snack to be available during the gap between lunch and dinner and then in the evening after dinner. Should give us plenty of time for interactions at the stall, as well as time for us to do things other than cook!

If anyone knows a good contact method for the tavern crew, please let me know. Would love to coordinate.

@ecrath (IG: Ignathis Nachtfeuer; OG: Ethan Rath) is the chief cook and bottle washer for the Tavern team. I think he's also a trained cookery-type-persony-thing in the real world and as you sound like you know the sharp from the dull end of a chef's knife as well, I just can't wait to see what you kats come up with. (also, ¡CAMPFIREBISCUITS!![nomnomnom])

@Mobius actually i do science for a living. Im naught but an amature chef.

——————————————————
Ig: Ignathis Nachtfeuer
Oog: Ethan Rath

Somewhere, Alton Brown's ears just perked up, "What's that you say about a separation between Science and Cooking?! Culinary Avengers, Away!"

1jsyaFS.jpg

Back