Oog Trap Making

Ash

Artisan
Anyone know of any good tutorials or who has personal experience with creating/setting traps that wants to give us the scoop? I have some ideas I've been fooling around with, but I'd love to get some perspective from someone who has used them ig before.

What works? What doesn't? What interesting ideas have you had but not tried yet? etc...

Also, Pictures would be welcome.

I've done a great deal of specialized trap making - including such types as the "Poor man's mercury switch", a series of massive mechanical pillars from the ceiling that can fit in any cabin and even recreating the 'break the sunlight beam' types - but no tutorials. I am currently developing an electronic buzzer trap trigger (including batteries) that is no larger than 4 quarters stacked on one another. If there's something you'd like input on, feel free to contact me either here or at mark@larping.net

I suppose the bucket of water on the slightly opened door that they used in all the 80s-90s kid shows would not be acceptable :p

Jevedor said:
I suppose the bucket of water on the slightly opened door that they used in all the 80s-90s kid shows would not be acceptable :p

Only in Seattle, but that's because they won't notice the extra water anyway. :p

Try PMing obcidian_bandit He's got some trap know-how.

Jevedor said:

ACID BATH TRAP!!!

I know a few odiferous High Orcs who might just benefit from an acid-bath.

I actually had the idea of making a trap rogue somewhere down the line. Won't it be fun calling for a hold every 15 minutes to distribute trap damage?

most traps i have seen IG have involved mousetraps, strings, or pillows...

I have stacked a few mattress in front of a cabin door before... but that really wasnt a trap so much as a way to confuse anybody trying to enter the unwarded cabin..

If you really want to mess with people, especially in a trap-heavy spot, use a "reverse trigger trap" (that's what I'm calling it unless someone else comes up with a cooler name.) The only way to set it off is to try disarming it.

Basically, in the middle of a cross-crossing mass of tripwires, have a mousetrap that's, effectively, already tripped - the only thing preventing it from snapping shut is a tripwire attached to the bar of the mousetrap, not the actual trigger-plate. So, when the "I'm not paying attention because I'm overconfident" rogue pulls out their scissors and starts cutting tripwires willy-nilly (as part of their disarming process), the reverse trap goes off. Naturally, this one's an explosive trap, so the other ones go off because of it....

One of the best trap mods I've dealt with had a pair of rectangular tables, repping a "trapped tunnel" that I had to crawl through. No room to move, traps *EVERYWHERE*, and a giant scythe that swung back in forth for a disturbing amount of massive damage, just to keep me on my toes.

The biggest problem I've seen with traps has been the crazy amount of prep time. Doing more than a couple of traps can be pretty time consuming. That said, one sprinkled here or there, especially where it's not expected, works wonders. If you get a couple of tent stakes, you can make an easy "land mine" sort of trap that's fairly portable and fast to set, but that only works well outside.

How do people use traps in regular scenarios though (rather than Marshal controlled mods or encounters)?

I have a rogue, I'd love to use traps with.. but I assume if I am not around to watch said trap go off, the person just isn't going to take the damage.

Robb Graves said:
How do people use traps in regular scenarios though (rather than Marshal controlled mods or encounters)?

I've seen them used in wave battles before, though not terribly often. Basically, the person just sat down in the grass, set the traps, then stood back and waited until the fight came their way.

Prior to the rules change on shatters, I'd heard of the "backpack full of acid" (stuff a pack full of traps, lob a shatter on it, and BOOM!), but that doesn't work any more.

Rhys said:
Prior to the rules change on shatters, I'd heard of the "backpack full of acid" (stuff a pack full of traps, lob a shatter on it, and BOOM!), but that doesn't work any more.

...Or let Spartacus hit you while you're setting it... :whistle:

In general, when I've seen them, I've seen them used in place of wards for cabin defenses.

I've heard a tale that someone once rigged an entire inn to blow and waited till everyone was inside.

Inaryn said:

If someone is hit by an arrow as they are setting a trap, does it go boom?

Dr_Chill said:
Inaryn said:

If someone is hit by an arrow as they are setting a trap, does it go boom?

Used to go boom on everyone within the radius. Now it just goes boom in the face of the person setting it.

The quoted joke is like 7 years old at this point. >.>

...we need a smiley with a long white beard and a cane.

I've been told a good technique for traps is to go off to the side during a wave battle or similar scenario, set your trap with a pull chord to set it off and just wait for curious monsters to come wandering over. Blow the trap and call your resist.

You have to be careful about setting up and using traps during a wave-battle or skirmish. Traps are not really meant or designed to be an offensive weapon, and the rules even say "All traps are meant to be immobile and cannot be used in combat as a weapon" (ARB pg. 143).

Sure, you can figure out clever ways to use them in combat and the Master Trapsmith "30-second arming ability" makes combat-traps an even more functional system (still trying to figure out why that was a good idea), but the logistics of traps make them a huge pain: every time a trap goes off a Hold has to be called; the center of the trap must be determined; so the Radius can be measured; and then the non-stop "Your toe's over the line" or "My cloak wasn't there when it went off" discussion begins; followed by the confusing "¿which defenses can I use?" discussion; and it's a huge mess.

So, while you can use traps in pseudo-combat, do your Marshalls a favor and don't.

When I ran a tavern at SF, every table had an explosive trap under it and all were within five feet of one another. There was a single three foot square spot that was safe. Never had to use it though

I once had a popper trap on a nail that was taped to my ankle with 15 feet of monofilament attached to it and me. It was for an arena combat. When introductions were being done I used my opposite foot to push the nail from my ankle and into the ground. I kept my foot on it for the full minute during the introductions _ good thing I was a gypsy that's saying my real name could take up to half an hour . then when the fight commenced he charged, I back peddled , the trap went off behind him , he turned around to look at it and I waylaid him.

I should note that current rules might not allow the above to happen these days ...

Back