Opening up the craft vault: Larp Gear for sale

As some of you may know, I'd taken a hiatus from building gear for other people for the last few years (Grad School, mostly). While I'm still not ready to jump into any big projects until I have my own working space, it's a skill that I've got the time and energy to put to use this week, so if you've got the cash, I'll carve/paint/sew/craft it, space and materials permitting. Last time I made an offer like this, I filled up on requests pretty quick, so at some point I'll cap out and stop taking orders. My goal is to have everything done by the end of this week, so a) you can have your gear before Christmas, if that's what you need it for, and b) because I don't have space for very long.

"But Matt," you ask, "What kinds of gear do you make?" "Oh, lots of stuff," I say. I've made two dragons (the Darkness and the head of the Dracoliche), the full suits of armor for Iftikhaar, Roan, Kragnar, and Roger, and countless sets of bracers. Sometimes I make steampunk stuff. Sometimes I make gear that lights up, pops up, or blows up. I made all of the masks for the Corrupt, the Skree, and the Draxians out of latex, and have made things like the Chill out of foam. I paint nerf guns. I do weapons and shields for our game or for other games, and the masks and prosthetics to go with them.

This time, I'm mostly interested in making weapons. Like I said, I don't have the space for big projects, which means that I'm avoiding armor, monsters, and most mask/prosthetic work. I'm also avoiding steampunk projects (all of my metalworking stuff is completely buried in our storage unit), though depending on complexity (and specific interest; if enough people want basically the same/similar thing, it becomes more worthwhile) I might make exceptions to those rules. (I could easily crank out masks for things I already have. For example, I've been told that with a minor alteration and no lights, my Corrupt masks would make for wicked Bastet masks.) I make weapons of all sorts, from fancy duct-tape to custom latex and everything in between. I also do ultralight shields and can put all kinds of utility stuff on the backs. Mostly, I make ultralight, cloth-covered swords for Alliance, which I literally make by the dozen. If you've ever NPCed in Seattle or Oregon, you've probably used one of my weapons.

As I said, I'm mostly making weapons and shields, but will consider other items as well. I can make basic weapons all day, so I don't anticipate running out of 'slots' for those, and I can make quite a few shields, but I wont make more than a few latex weapons at a time, and I've got to start those early in the week (drying time between stages). I guarantee any 'standard boffer' weapon or shield I make will pass Alliance safety check, and I can make every effort to ensure that with latex (but those guidelines are much more subjective). I can easily adapt to other safety requirements, but I can't guarantee a safety pass for a system in which I am not a safety marshal. Here's the quick details, the prices assume ultralight, cloth-covered 'boffer' style weapons/shields:

Short sword (up to 36"): $30
Long Sword (up to ~44"): $40
Shield (up to 531 sq. in): $50

You can save about $5 if you don't want ultralight on weapons. I can make daggers, but who still fights with daggers? I can make a sword longer than ~44-45", but it needs a special core, which is significantly more expensive than the cores I use normally. If you really need those extra few inches, I'll get a longer piece of kitespar, but they run you an extra $15. Anything with a head (axes, spears, blunts) are more work and more materials, but I'll make those too, and the cost will depend on the complexity. Extra goodies (tactical gear on the back of your shield, paint, etc) is extra, but I outsource some of the art, so I don't set all of those costs.

Things I need to know about your sword: Desired Length (tip to tip), grip length, Waylay tip?, Crossguard?, Color (Black, Red, Grey, something else?), and any special details. If it's not a basic sword (blunt, bow, shield, latex weapon, prosthetic, mask, custom paint job for a weapon/shield/nerf gun, whatever) I need a lot more information, so we just need to talk about it. In either case, you can message me here, or one of the other places that I've posted this, and I'll get back to you with details/timeline/etc!

Back