Padding for shaft and pommel on Spear/Polearm

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightEyes

I have been looking through the Rules as well as the weapons eratta and cannot seem to find any clarification on this;

"In general, a good rule of thumb is to leave no more than one-quarter of the length of the weapon unpadded for a grip, though this depends on the specific type of weapon. For example, polearms will often have a longer length of core left unpadded, but keep in mind that padding should exist on significant portions of the core below the head as those parts of the weapon will often come in contact with others."

Is there a specific length of a spear or polearm that must be padded? Or is there any other specification for required length of padding on the shaft of a spear or polearm other then the head.
Note, I am not asking about depth/diameter of padding, that's been reasonably established as 5/8 inch pipe foam, or 'inability to feel the core under force' regarding flat blade and latex weapons.

Other related question; is there a minimum or maximum density for foam, or any particular forces that must make it collapse a specific distance. Applying this for min/max on stabbing tips, as well as I assume separate requirements on striking surfaces such as blades and non-striking areas such as non-waylay pommels, which will have three separate classifications I assume. Want to clarify what the limits are for these things before bringing a weapon in to Local marshals, since they did not know of any actual limits either.

There really aren't the specifications you're looking for. Ultimately the goal is a safe weapon, combined with the goal of flexibility in (especially commercially available) construction. I recommend working with the season marshals of the chapter you're looking to attend when creating weapons.

Upvote 0
So general answer is 'No'. there are no specific rules regarding how much, or how dense the foam is, just an arbitrary thickness and 'make it safe' I can work with that

Upvote 0
Here's what I consider when I clear a weapon:

1) Does the foam compress too much so it hits core with solid force? Does it compress so little that it feels like I'm swinging a brick?

2) Is the weapon so heavy that someone could be hurt from the impact?

3) If someone else were to randomly pick up your weapon and start hitting someone else with it, will it be safe for them to use?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back