Paragon Packages - Paths of the Paragons

stonegolem

Scholar
Marshal
Update: Version 2.0 is now available. Players may purchase two Paragon Paths per event.

PARAGON PACKAGES HAVE RETURNED. PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE ATTACHED PDF.

The Paths of the Paragons are powerful, ancient shards of magic left behind by the passing of powerful warriors, sorcerers, and thieves whose lives changed the world and for whom the echos of their steps remain in relics scattered across the world. These Paragons, whom the adventurers of the Hollow have known before, represented the quintessence of their martial class, and any champion seeking to follow in their footsteps will do well to accept the magic they have left behind, to be used for good or for ill.

As the story of Laerthan continues into the end of this season and moving on to the next, the adventurers will have the opportunity to collect more of the relics that contain the magic of the Paragons, and thereby unlock additional Paths to follow.

How Does It Work?

Before each event, you may select one Path to follow, restricted by your character's class. Each Path followed costs 250 Goblin Stamps. Following a Path grants you a passive benefit. No Path may be selected more than once.

Additionally, for each Path you follow, you may select one Tool of the Trade specific to that Path's grouping, as listed below. Tools of the Trade are expendable benefits that mimic build-bought skills and refresh at Logistics. They stack with each other and existing build-bought skills as appropriate.

Lastly, each purchase of a Path entitles you to a Boon, selected randomly from a pool of four specific Boons (we'll roll a d4 and everything). You may purchase additional Boons for each Path you follow for 100 Goblin Stamps each. When rolling for additional Boons, you may re-roll repeats - no Boon may be selected more than once, and no more than three additional Boons (for a total of four) per Path may be purchased.

As more Paths are unlocked, you will be able to select additional Paths (the maximum will be three).

The benefits of purchasing Paths last for the duration of the event they are purchased before, and any expendable skills refresh at Logistics. If you wish to extend the benefit of a Path, you must purchase the Path again before the next event.

It goes without saying that these benefits are only valid at the New Hampshire chapter of Alliance.

Roleplay Requirements

The actual purchase of a Paragon Path is NOT an IG decision and does not require role play. For a "Path of Necalli," if such a thing were to exist, your character would not be agreeing to house the essence of Necalli in themselves. The spirit is dead - you are merely following the character's MARTIAL EXAMPLE.

However, following a martial example opens one's mind to certain ways of thinking and feeling. While utilizing the benefits of a Paragon Path, or for an appropriate time afterward, certain aspects of the Paragon’s own personality will mingle with your own. This is a role play effect ONLY, and will not influence or alter your decisions in any tangible way. We offer this to you as a means of generating excitement and drama, not as a tool to bend you to our will!

See the chart below for keywords to influence your role play while under the effect of a Paragon Path.

How Do I Purchase?

When pre-logisting, please list the Paths you are purchasing in the Goblin Stamp Expenditures section of the last page of our pre-logist form, as well as any additional Boons you are purchasing. It would be polite to give a numerical total of your expenditure.

Paths are available for purchase at the door, but really, weren't you planning on pre-logisting HERE?

Attachments

• Paragon Chart v2.0.pdf
    329.7 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Let me also say that, at this time, questions about the Paragon abilities should be asked in this thread. Please don't email them to Logistics, as Logistics will simply refer you right back here.

Dan, if I have never met any of the characters listed in the Paragon Paths, and was not their special friend who went on adventures with them before they died because of something some other players did, can I still purchase any or all of the Paragon Packages?

Good question Evan! Any character of an appropriate class can follow a Paragon Path, even if that character didn't know the Paragon in question. You can even follow a path for a Paragon that you DID know and didn't like! Think of the nuanced role play!

Thanks, Dan. Hey, Dan! Can I use the parries granted to me by one or several Paragon Paths, Tools of the Trade, or Boons to fuel spell parries? Or, supposing that one or several Paragon Paths, Tools of the Trade, or Boons grant me a spell parry, can I use my own build-bought parries to fuel them?

You sure can, Evan. In general, any abilities granted by the Paragon Packages will behave precisely according to the rules of the game. All of these abilities are standard game effects and can be read up on in the rule book. When an exception exists, such as Southkin the Mastermind's Spell Store being on a spirit (normally a spell store cannot be on a spirit), it is presented in the relevant description and will still follow all the rules of the game.

Regenerate Body is how we differentiated the monster skill "Regeneration" as found on page 73 of the rule book from the more commonly known "Regenerate" ritual effect.

The effect of Regenerate Body is that the user may, for each use of the skill, "refit" their entire Body Point total after sixty seconds of role play. The ability may be interrupted in a manner similar to interrupting the refitting of armor. In the case of interruption, the use of the skill is expended without effect.

I noticed that there is a possibility that certain living creatures can bestow paragon path abilities. Is that information FOIG? Also, for people who have been wearing elemental marks ( in my case flame touched) do those marks continue? Or do they need to be accessed through contacting a certain living creature? And one final question. Is there thought or plans to bringing back the racial paragon packages?

Thank You, It is nice to see this idea coming back to game.

There are exceptional entities able to grant Patronage Powers, but who they are and what they can do is indeed information that must be learned in game. In that vein, people who have been elementally marked should be on the look out (or listen out) for who might look upon their service with favor.

At this time there are no plans to bring the racial paragon packages back into game. After discussion we concluded that they were not balanced in a way we were comfortable with, and we have scrapped the idea, at least for the time being.

1) Do Assassinates and Terminates count as PTD skills for the purposes of the Fighter's Overwhelming Force boon? Ergo, can I Massive Terminate a dude?
2) At this time, can cross classes purchase two paths (or three if you're a duel school Templar/Adept), while straight classes are only limited to one? Or can cross classes only buy from one "set" of paths? For example, if a Templar buys a fighter path, can they only purchase from the fighter list for that event and can't from the scholar list?
3) Can you choose which Tool of the Trade you buy after you find out which boon you got?

EDIT:
4) When are boons assigned? If I really want one specific boon, but only pay enough for one and don't get it, can I buy another boon to get another chance at my boon of interest?

1.) No. Overwhelming Force is meant to be a "Fighter" thing, so it specifically only works with Prepare To Die skills. This DOES include Disarm, Shatter, and Stun Limb.
2.) At this time, split classes must choose exactly one of the lists they have access to. Specifically, we have limited total number of Paths available per player to exactly one BECAUSE it would be unfair to Fighters, Rogues, and Scholars. As more Paths are unlocked in game, we will raise the number of Paths that may be taken, to a maximum of three.
3.) Yes.
4.) Boons are assigned at Logistics upon arrival, and yes, you may choose to buy another one if you don't get the specific one you want. It's like gambling, except you always win!

Someone asked: Regarding Oubliette, what does "successfully resolves" mean? Do I get to keep throwing Arcane Prison until someone takes it?

No. In this instance, "successfully resolves" means that the packet has struck someone, and they are forced either to take the effect or call an appropriate defensive call. Since the ability is Arcane, that means that the only applicable defensive abilities are Cloak Eldritch Force, Bane Eldritch Force, Resist Eldritch Force, Eldritch Force Guard, Immune to Eldritch Force, Phase, and Dodge.

Basically, if you miss with your packet, you can try again. That's all.

Is it true that the only resistance to "Massive Eviscerate" is dodge?

If I were a Celestial Scholar without 15 ranks of Formal (or ranks of Wear Extra Armor), and I randomly rolled Southkin's Sun Armor boon, am I completely unable to use that particular boon?

Southkin's Sun Armor will provide Arcane Armor equal to the maximum value wearable by the purchasing character. The listed 30 points should be read as "up to 30", and will be reworded to reflect that.

And zero chance of getting a package that doesn't match your class, right? I would LOVE Southkin's.

Part of the philosophy behind the Paragon Packages is and always has been "more of what makes you YOU." In this case, it is the lingering echo of someone else's spirit reaching out to yours, sensing some level of kindred nature at the most basic martial level. The Packages are meant to facilitate roleplay while giving people something cool to spend gobbies on.

If you really like Southkin and what his dead self has to offer you, I highly recommend spending some build on celestial spell slots. It'll make for an interesting character arc.

Last edited:
File updated to reflect more accurate wording for Sun Armor.

Back