paying for HQ april 4-6 event

Hail
Got another newbie/doughnut question...

Im trying to find the link for regestering for the April HQ event on 4-6
the only link I keep getting directed to is becoming a member
anyone have a link to pay for that event?

follow up question :D
Im a paid member for NJ I dont haev to pay for a membership in HQ to attend HQ events do I?

thanks

Frank W

Yes, you will be required to pay for membership to each chapter you play in. Alliance is just that - an alliance of LARP chapters who follow the same basic rule system. Think of each chapter as a seperate club. To play with each club, you will have to pay your dues. Luckily, membership costs are very low for each chapter. So you can belong to multiple chapters every year even if you don't get to attend their events often. Having a membership with each will allow you to not only play at their game, but donate items.

I used to belong to three. I have three seperate member numbers as well. One for HQ, one for NJ and one for NH. Soon, I will be adding Chicago and Ohio to the list. Man... that is a lot of numbers...

ah okee
thanks for the super fast reply!

so im guessing that after I become a member of HQ also I can access the pre reg for that event

follow up for the follow Q

So can I have a diffrent characrter for each chapter?

FW

You can have more than one character in each chapter! You can have as many characters as you want. You can only play one per event, though.

As for paying for the event, Faire Play is in the process of setting up a PayPal account, and as soon as that is done, we will start taking reservations.

Edit: When the PayPal is ready, it will be here: http://www.alliancelarp.com/pay.php

As an addendum to Mike's response on characters...

While you can have as many characters as you want in any given chapter, you can only buy one monthly blanket per chapter. So if you are thinking of starting a second character (to play in case your primary dies) you are best off starting that character in another chapter and buying monthlies with goblin stamps.

thanks

Another Question :) (im sure there will be more and thanks for taking the time to anwser them all)

So if a person is in Two Chapters they can buy One Blanket for each chapter
can they Apply both blankets to the same character making that one character very warmly wraped in two blankets a month??

when do you earn the blankets ? if you joined on say 1/7/08 would you get one for the month of Jan the next in Feb then march
or do you get them on the seventh of each month since you became a member on the seventh?

FW

No... you can only put one monthly blanket on a character. That monthly blanket can only come from the "home" chapter of that character. What that means is that when you become a member of a chapter--you work with the logistics committee to create a character. That character is "housed" in that chapter's Database--and thus is the home chapter.

So let's say you join HQ. You create a rogue in the database. Now your rogue can get monthly blankets applied to him each month, but only from HQ.

Now you want to create a second character--a scholar. You could create him in HQ, but then you would have to pick which character, your rogue or your scholar gets the one monthly blanket from HQ. OR you could start your scholar at a different chapter, let's say NJ. Now you can have your scholar receive monthly blankets each month from its home chapter of NJ and at the same time your rogue is getting monthly blankets from his home chapter in HQ.

Also--to add another layer of complexity. You can also goblin stamp events onto your characters. But you can only attend/blanket one event per weekend on one character. So back to our example...

You attend the April event as your rogue. That event is added to your rogue. The following weekend is a Ohio event (just for example). You have donated to Ohio and have goblin stamps. You decide you want to add that blanket onto your rogue. So you contact the logistics for Ohio and ask for that event to be blanketed onto your rogue. Ohio Logistics sends a confirmation e-mail to HQ logistics letting them know. And now you have had 2 events added to your rogue.

What you can't do is have that Ohio event go onto both your rogue or scholar. Or let's say that Traverse City and Ohio are having events on the same weekend. You can't contact both those logistics committees and have TC blanket your rogue and Ohio blanket your scholar. That is against the rules. It is one weekend to one character.

-J

For your other question... If you start a character in January and you have donated enough $$ or stuff to a chapter to earn goblin stamps... then you could get a monthly blanket for January and then for three months back. The Alliance has a three month back blanket policy. That also means you can blanket events that were up to three months ago.

But you need goblin stamps to do that. Here is how it breaks down in cost:

1 monthly blanket = 30 goblin stamps
1 regular 2 day event = 60 goblin stamps
1 long 3 day event = 90 goblin stamps

Most chapters have a 2:1 - 5:1 goblin stamp to $ ratio for cash donations. You would have to contact the different owners to see what their particular rates are. Also, if you look at the donation lists for each chapter, you can see what they are in need of and typically they award higher goblin stamp ratios for those items.

The key to all this is sending in an e-mail to the various chapters to ask for a blanket. That needs to be done the month you want things applied (or for items three months past). So it is now February. Even if you created your character in January--you would only be able to back blanket 3 months from now (November) because it is this month that you would ask for the blankets.

Some chapters have an automated monthly blanket list, you can check with your logistics to put your name on it.

Also--ALWAYS keep your character cards. ALWAYS keep a copy of the e-mails (with date line included) where you are requesting for blankets UNTIL you know that it has been applied to your character. Blanketing characters (especially multiple ones from multiple chapters) can get complicated. Sometimes e-mails get lost or misplaced. So it is up to you, the player, to stay on top of your character. When in doubt always ask your home chapter logistics if they got e-mails from other chapters about blankets or about your request for monthly blankets. Have those printed out copies with you for your record. And it is good policy to ask that the chapters CC you when they are sending messages to your logistics to blanket an event so you have proof that the chapter did send that e-mail. This helps your logistics person out if they didn't get the e-mail and it prevents delays in you getting those events blanketed if you have that proof.

Hope all this helps. I happen to manage 8 characters (4 players and myself) with blanketing from 10 chapters. It gets complicated, but just staying organized and keeping records makes all the difference.

- J

thank you so very much :)

that explains a lot and will be most helpfull :)

I have debated following my love for archery and doing that and healing and its hard to do both well
so I might just make two characters :D

FW

Archery in Alliance is kinda chumpy...

Taking archery as a scholar is a pretty good compromise, as it provides you with a decent blocking weapon (preferrably as an elf, as it is then pretty cheap as well...), and if you throw some vorpal 10s on it you get decent damage, but you really won't stand up to sword and board guy as the shield will prevent you from hitting him 90% of the time... at least if he's any good with it...

it's all about hitting those sword and board guys' toes... trust me :cool:

meh... once or twice you can catch someone with it, but by and large archery turns into a backup style that you use just up until they close with you...

My wild-elf has archery. As an elf you get it for half build (which is great for a scholar type character). It isn't that hard to befriend a blacksmith that can make you arrows--typically blacksmiths are fighters who need healing and if you are a healer... well then you can trade healing for arrows.

What is great about playing an archer/healer is that you can block (as Justin mentioned) while you are healing at the same time. When you want to use the bow, you stand behind the line of shield & sword warriors and chuck arrows over their shoulders. Not only are you well defended, but you can heal them and give them protectives while you are also causing damage with arrows.

The only annoying thing about arrows & mana is that you need two pouches--one for your arrows (quiver) and the other for your mana. But as long as you don't mind two pouches--it works out great.

Now if you want to get all fancy.. you could play an archer/artisan where you make everything. You can make your arrows. You can make the vorpals to coat your arrows. You can make gas globes to chuck. You can make scrolls to cast celestial magic. You can buy spells at a semi decent cost as long as you go with a wide base. The only sucky thing about an artisan is that you need IG money to make your stuff. So you either want to be on a team, or make sure you get a cut in the kills, or charge an arm and leg for your production items that you make. Or make IG food. That is what I do. My wild elf happens to be that archer/artisan. Though if I ever got the chance--I would spirit forge her to a scholar.

Anyway just thought I would throw that out.

Also as an archer disarm is your friend.

Disarm shield.
Throw some vorpal +10's

Disarm scrolls are wicked cheap, and easy for a scholar to use.

You can actually attach two or three to your bow's upper 'arm' and then have them immediately available. Just make sure you can actually read them, IE, don't bend the words around the bow so far that they are not visible to you when using it.

Or shatters...

yeah but its almost never tagged ;-)

Sunnfire said:
Just make sure you can actually read them, IE, don't bend the words around the bow so far that they are not visible to you when using it.

And make sure you don't grab an arrow packet or you lose your spell/scroll

Back