[.11] Permanence and Spirit lock for testing

Tantarus

Knight
So I dont recall where I saw it, but I remember Permanence will also default Spirt Lock items to people in 2.0.
There is no mention of this in the play test packet. So will this be in effect for playtesting? Aka Do I need to put spiritlinks on my perm items?

This was an omission from the playtest packet and should have been included; I'll add it in the next revision. For reference, this text is what should be included:

Permanent Duration – This Ritual functions entirely like it does in ARB 1.3, except that it now automatically includes a Spirit Lock effect as per the Spirit Lock Ritual. Since this is part of the Permanent Duration Ritual, it does not take up an extra slot. Note that this new functionality is explicitly not a choice that the caster can make, and is designed to help rotate Permanent Duration items out of the game as their owners leave. Characters with a Permanent Duration may choose to either downgrade it to a Preserve Duration Ritual or “trade in” any existing Spirit Lock and/or Spirit Link Rituals.

Oh neat! I like that.

This makes me sad. Our group has a permanent item specifically acquired for sharing. I get the desire to not have a million permanent items in the game, but this seems a rather punishing way to do it, in that it explicitly discourages sharing resources and teamwork to earn that coveted perm item.

I understand that feeling. That being said, sharing magic items has been a pretty problematic thing for the game, and not just at the Permanent Duration level. While this will absolutely be a pain point for some players in a situation like yours, from a balance perspective it makes a lot of sense.

What problems does sharing items create?

(For lack of tone in text, this is a genuine question. It is not something I have encountered and is in fact generally the opposite of my experience)

In Seattle/Oregon, there used to be groups who had magic items that were shared between chapters, extremely frequently. It happened with my group, too. It’s one of the reasons item Recall is preferred to Link.

I’ve heard that this is also super common on the East Coast, where there are a lot of relatively close chapters. That’s not an accusation or anything, it’s people making use of the system in the best way possible. But it concentrates a lot of power into players in a way that the system can’t really keep up with.

Put another way, whenever you’re sharing magic items, it means someone has more Treasure Policy than they otherwise would have. That’s a power issue.

Oh, you mean cross chapter sharing. Yeah, I can see that. You guys are our next closest chapters and that’s a fair trek so we don’t really have that issue in SF.

Maybe permanent items could be landbound to the issuing chapter? That would prevent large amounts of treasure policy from moving around but would still allow sharing within the chapter.

Spirit Locking also means that the large amount of permanent treasure policy will also eventually leave the system when the player does, rather than chapters eventually accruing a whole bunch of permanent items.

Yeah. I just wish there was a way to accomplish that without penalizing teamwork, something that we are explicitly trying to encourage in this update.

Honestly, if having permanent items be actually permanent is a problem, I’d personally rather just remove them.

So, I'm not going to lie; I absolutely support the idea that permanent items should be removed from the game, from a systematic balancing perspective. TP flows into the system, and magic items aren't destroyed nearly enough to "flow out." 2.0 will rectify that by massively reducing the amount of "adds power" effects to the game. But magic items will still be valuable and useful. Thus, they should always be in a state of gradually expiring, IMO.

But that's a position that's unlikely ever going to happen. So, at the very least, making Permanent Duration items into individual achievement capstones can at least put some limiters on the powercreep. And that, I feel, is a good thing, even if it impacts team achievements, like yours.

Our team has all our permanent stuff spirit linked currently except for one 2 rit perm item I own. (Though I tend to cast spirit links on it). If we could pass around our items for when people are not around.... it would get crazy fast.

That said I am totally against removing perms. One thing I have really tired of is the Loot grind in alliance. I finished a 20 rit perm sword earlier this year after 7 years of gathering stuff for it. I am done. I dont have to worry about looting mobs, hoarding ritual scrolls. I am more then happy to just take my part of the split and spend the coin on PC goods like food, drinks or even soap.

Personally, If I had to keep in the loot grind forever to just maintain a magic weapon, it would kill the game for me. Over my 20 years I have taken many year brakes before. If I lost all my items cause I was out of the loot grind for a while. I would likely not bother coming back at all.

There is something great about being done with the loot part of the game. I realize I am not everyone, some people will always work toward the next item. Or not even care about the first. But without perm being in the game, there is no done state for players of like mind. You are forever stuck in a never ending loot grind. Which sucks, imo.

Our team has all our permanent stuff spirit linked currently except for one 2 rit perm item I own. (Though I tend to cast spirit links on it). If we could pass around our items for when people are not around.... it would get crazy fast.

That said I am totally against removing perms. One thing I have really tired of is the Loot grind in alliance. I finished a 20 rit perm sword earlier this year after 7 years of gathering stuff for it. I am done. I dont have to worry about looting mobs, hoarding ritual scrolls. I am more then happy to just take my part of the split and spend the coin on PC goods like food, drinks or even soap.

Personally, If I had to keep in the loot grind forever to just maintain a magic weapon, it would kill the game for me. Over my 20 years I have taken many year brakes before. If I lost all my items cause I was out of the loot grind for a while. I would likely not bother coming back at all.

There is something great about being done with the loot part of the game. I realize I am not everyone, some people will always work toward the next item. Or not even care about the first. But without perm being in the game, there is no done state for players of like mind. You are forever stuck in a never ending loot grind. Which sucks, imo.

No, I'm right there. I don't have the mythical 20 rit item, and I probably never will. But once I got either permanent or preserved versions of the few rits that I do care about, I realized it was just all... too much to keep track of. I'd rather use production, with it's ease of tracking, than trying to remember and track all the items and effects. I turned around and gave away everything that wasn't part of that set. All the stuff I collect these days is just to help outfit other people.

And, frankly, I don't want to stuff quest. Even my merchant doesn't want to stuff quest between being an artisan and being actually quite good at making deals.

I've learned through the years that the story is just way more fun and easier to engage when you don't really have to worry about item management beyond what's right in your hands.

Back