Personal Anthems

For a long time, when participating in an RPG of any sort, I've found that, to get in the right mindset for a character, that I find a song or two that help represent that character. I'm curious - does anyone else have a personal anthem, for their character, or for themselves? If so, what is it and why?

For example - my personal anthem happens to be "Standing Outside the Fire" by Garth Brooks. For my High Orc, Garmok Stoneskull Rockfist, his anthem is "A Place For My Head" by Linkin Park.

Not necessarily a personal anthem, but I always ten to listen to "Grassland Chant" and "Lioness Hunt" from the Broadway versin of Lion King as I prepare to play my Sarr, Kalaji. The homeland for Sarr in NJ is called the Veldt and is basically Africa. Those two songs are very African in theme and really set the mood.

I like the Celtic Women songs..

Not that my character is Celtic at all, but it seems to set my mood.

Mike, why so?

Because when you look at him it's like "Touch Me. I dare you." And not in a pleasant way. ;)

My gypsy Marcena has a couple theme songs. Her fight song is "Why can't we be friends" I don't know who that's by though... the playlist I have for her includes some Enya, the club dance mix of To Victory: Sacrifice for Sparta from the 300 soundtrack, Trouble by Pink, Let Me Go by 3 Doors Down, Hard Luck Woman by Kiss, and Balalaika by Julie Ann Frost.

I prefer a slogan or two to help get my characters going. A few are:

Jack of all trades, master of one.
It isn't considered stealing if you do it quick enough.

For Semaj:
I listen to the Star Fox theme (big surprise with that one!)
I also listen to La Caution (Nightfox's Theme from Ocean's 12), Moondance from Nightwish's album "Once," Axel F by Crazy Frog, and Timeless by ATB.

For Argus Varda:

Chalise (Marry the Devil's Daughter) from Dio's CD Magica, any song from Hammerfall or Dragonforce, I Won't Lie Down from the Mortal Kombat: Annihilation soundtrack, and the theme from Dog the Bounty Hunter

Slogans for Semaj:

Get up, go on, keep on going.
Did you think you could outfox this fox?

Slogan's from Argus Varda:

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" - Theodore Roosevelt
"I am 100% genuine fortified." - Dog the Bounty Hunter

Jim

I go with every conan background music for my themes!

The Team anthem of the Crew: "Get Ready to Die". By Andrew WK.

Personal Anthems:

Aislynn Ravenshire - "I'm still Here" by Johnny Reznik, "Home" by Breaking Benjamin and "Right before your eyes" by Hoobastank.
Zehnyu Shanshi - "Fiddle and the Drum" by a Perfect Circle, "Far Away" by Nickelback, "Cocky" by Kid Rock, and "Mitternacht" by Enomine
Mischief - "Theme of Robin Hood" from Disney's Robin Hood. "Catatonia Country Rag" From the Elfquest CD, and "Them's Fightin' Words" by Coyote Run.

There are soundtracks to each on my ipod (I'm a dork), but those are each the songs that are the character developments.

-Ali

Hmm...I don't believe I've ever thought about it, as I usually get into character the same way as I would on stage or, if I've not played in a while, through reading my character's history as a brush-up reminder.

Were I to choose a theme song, though, my first instinct would be "Into the Fire" from The Scarlet Pimpernel. That about covers it. :)

Heh.
ChrisO

Oooh! We're doing quotes now?

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." -Oscar Wilde
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attibute of the strong." -Ghandi
"If you have charm, you have everything. If you don't, then it doesn't matter what else you have." -Anon.

For Ren - I know it's really contradictory, but "Hellfire" from Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame really gets me into the "I'm going to do the right thing - no matter what it takes or who gets in the way" mode. For a theme song, I'd have to pick "Pressure" by David Bowie.

For Akota's theme song - "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"

For Kade - "The Spell of Love" from Potter Puppet Pals

Stoneskull_Rockfist said:
Mike, why so?

Best answer I can give is: listen to the songs (or read the lyrics if you don't have them available). They are practically designed to be personal anthems. And they really stir something in me (of course it could just be my deep seeded hate for insecticons).

-MS

here is a scary look into my mind

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4aiH0AiXBE[/youtube]

mikestrauss said:
Mike, why so?

Best answer I can give is: listen to the songs (or read the lyrics if you don't have them available). They are practically designed to be personal anthems. And they really stir something in me (of course it could just be my deep seeded hate for insecticons).

-MS

Or perhaps your deep seated hate for Insecticons? ;)

Evanescence is scary? Since when? This look inside your mind may give one a sense of good taste, but it certainly shows nothing to fear.

:)
ChrisO

Sevaria's playlist:

Gravedigger by Mahatma
Losing Hope by Jack Johnson
The General by Dispatch
Seven Days to the Wolves by Nightwish
The Island by Nightwish
The Mariner's Revenge Song by The Decemberists
Eli the Barrow Boy by The Decemberists
Shankill Butchers by The Decemberists
The Unquiet Grave by Ween

Sevaria is obviously an extremely cheerful person. :roll:

However, my friends and I do have a seperate playlist specifically for NPCing hype-up, and the car ride up to game. We're crazy kids.

Telokh_Amdo said:
mikestrauss said:
Mike, why so?

-MS

Or perhaps your deep seated hate for Insecticons? ;)

You know, I was about to write it that way and then I looked at it and thought to myself, what the heck does "deep seated" mean? I figured I had just mispronounced it over the years and it was really "deep seeded". That at least makes some sense. Now I am just confused.

-MS

Back