Planning on Playing a Dryad?

I am. I was just wondering how many of you out there with our limited knowledge of the race while we anxiously wait for the rule book are planning on playing one? From what I understand there are four types: bark, aquatic or reed, fungus, bush/plant ? I could be wrong but this is what I'm understanding. Just wondering if people have weapon ideas, costume ideas, armor phys rep ideas etc.

I am planning on playing an aquatic or reed based type. costuming pieces are coming together using sponges that will need to be sewn into the pieces of costume as armor that will look like coral (I HOPE). I can't wait to see the rule book description but hoping to use sword fish bone as a weapon but mainly be a caster.

the lack of metal being able to be used is SO MUCH FUN i love a challenge!

Here's what the new Rule Book will say about dryads (subject to editing):

Dryads are a new race to the world of Fortannis, but they state that they have always been there, but have been asleep until just recently. As such, their societies and cultures are being developed day by day.

Dryads may in fact be extremely long lived, but it will take decades and centuries to truly know, though some sages are already guessing they may age like the trees from which they evolved.

Dryads are very sensitive to necromancy, and much like the barbarian distrust of celestial magic, it enrages dryads. However, they cannot feel the necromancy through a connection with the land as ogres.

Dryads are unaware of their own oddity and will take no offence to staring, often thinking it some sort of game. They are child-like in their happy demeanor, with a tendency to be mischievous. They loving playing innocent pranks and tricks on those around them so long as no one is harmed. The only time they lose the childlike demeanor is in the presence of necromancy or at the mention of chaos magics. It is at this that they can become unruly, unpredictable and somewhat dangerous.

They have no recognizable social groups, families or castes, or even culture per se, but treat each other as brothers and sisters. They tend to avoid confrontation with those of their own race, preferring to “agree to disagree” in strained situations.

Dryads will often claim an area to be the “First Forest” and they protect it as if this is fact. It is their belief that one of their kind will find it, and since none of them can be sure, they all treat “their” forest as the true “First Forest.”

All dryads hate the wanton destruction of their lands, but do not see a problem with the use of fallen and dead plants for housing, and growing plants for food. They believe it is their duty and calling to protect their land against the forces of chaos, which would destroy it.

There are four different types of dryads. They all share the same racial skills, but there are some slight variations on appearance. They are based on the type of area from which they came. Barkskins are tree-like and come from the deep forest. Spores have fungus-like traits and come from damp dark areas. Thorns are from flowery meadows. Reeds are from watery and swampy lands. Often they will have this as part of their traveling name (for example: Safad Thornyfist, Shaah Barkskin or Braedel Reed).

It is important to emphasize that dryads are not plant scavengers. You cannot be an “oak dryad” or a “sunflower dryad.”

Dryads are extremely uncomfortable around metal and will not use metal weapons or wear metal armor, but it basically comes down to the quantity of the metal and placement. A few little gold coins in a pouch may feel only slightly uncomfortable, but a metal bracer wrapped around the forearm would feel extremely and distractingly uncomfortable.

It is not just the iron content of any particular metal that bothers the dryads. It’s the manipulation of the mineral through heating, melting and forging that throws off its “energy,” generating discord to any dryad who is near it. The level of discord becomes unmanageable when the quantity of metal is large enough to serve as armor.

To play a dryad, you must use makeup and costuming appropriate for the type of dryad you wish to be. All dryads must have flowers and/or leaves in their hair and/or wrapped around them in some way so as to make them immediately identifiable as dryads.

The makeup and costuming can change with the seasons; thus a barkskin dryad could be primarily gray in the winter, green in the spring and summer, and orange in the fall.

Due to their connection with the lands, dryads can purchase Herbal Lore at half price (rounded up) and Resist Binding. Because of their aversion to metal, they cannot have more than 2 points of armor in any one location.

michael has that portion been proofread yet? you'll have to forgive me i'm a bit of a wenchmadoodle when it comes to finding typos in stuff...that had a booboo but if its not the final draft then i don't want to say anything...

and..>THANK YOU for giving us that tidbit...i like the part about playful tricks... :D

I need to practice making ankle snares. Does "hoisted by the ankle 20 feet into the air" count as playful?
-toddo

as long as you use vines or hemp rope and no metal and make sure to cut the adventurer down landing them gently once you're done laughing....then sure!

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
michael has that portion been proofread yet? you'll have to forgive me i'm a bit of a wenchmadoodle when it comes to finding typos in stuff...that had a booboo but if its not the final draft then i don't want to say anything...

and..>THANK YOU for giving us that tidbit...i like the part about playful tricks... :D

Nope, this is from the unproofread version of the new Rule Book, which, if everything goes to plan, should be heading to those owners who are proofreading for me within the week.

Fearless Leader said:
Due to their connection with the lands, dryads can purchase Herbal Lore at half price (rounded up) and Resist Binding. Because of their aversion to metal, they cannot have more than 2 points of armor in any one location.

So question, has the Max Armor reduction of 6 been cut from the rules?

Dryads are a new race to the world of Fortannis, but they state that they have always been there, but have been asleep until just recently. As such, their societies and cultures are being developed day by day.

What does this mean for character histories?

lukeskywkr said:

What does this mean for character histories?

Well, you need to talk to your local chapter on that; they may have their own "culture" and explanation.

I'm hopefully going to be a new player up there soon, as soon as I can afford the ride up from GA. I have a few friends who have been trying to convince me to play for some time and I've been larping at multiple games for 6 years. I'm hoping to play a dryad and I thought I'd drop some pics of my friend Jess playing a dryad at our game to give you guys some ideas. I think I have one of a male satyr, as well.

n551157246_1555934_167.jpg

n51104950_31326628_856.jpg

n50501433_31296961_2326.jpg

n50501433_31296954_5614.jpg

SOLAR007.jpg

n50501433_31105200_3366.jpg

I have a ton of fantasy artwork as well, from when she and I were planning on making twin dryads (fell through due to school work not allowing me to attend gathers), if anyone wants them. I'm sure they are around somewhere.

Hope this helps!

~Caitlin

ummm..WOW!!!!! very foresty!!!! some of those ideas are awesome for barky folk! and the plant folk. I saw a person in a UK game that was playing something with birch skin and the make up was AMAZING. ya know how it peels up ? she had bits peeling up and at first i thought she was playing a leper until i realized the lines in her white skin were a little too nice to be rotting. it was cool those are amazing pics!!! and the faun was AWESOME!! what did you do for the hooves? just a flap over your boots??

Our version of dryads wouldn't have the ears, horns or hooves but those are certainly some awesome costumes!

i'm so glad there won't be ears or horns or hooves required...one of the reasons i'm going with a dryad is because there are no GLUED required pieces...its all costuming and light make up....the costuming i adore but the idea of having ears glued on all the time or horns all the time or feathers or a beard would drive me crazy! heheheh

You kinda forget the ears are there after a while. They weigh almost nothing. The discomfort level on the horns depends on the type you use and how they're attached. I've never played a biata for more than a few hours as an NPC, so I can't really speak to how uncomfortable they get over long periods.

Then again, I play a sarr and have a chunk of latex covering 3/4 of my face for most of the weekend. *shrug*

A beard might be nice in winter though LOL...

female dwarves are HOT

Now how can I pass up playing a new race?

Of course I will be playing a dryad next season!

I don't WANT to play one....
But I know I will. Because I can't resist the Nature/Druidic feel I get when I think about them.

/sigh.. pass me the bark and twigs and leaves and stuff...... woot!

I've got nearly half of my Spore costume made, and my prosthetics are done. But I'm having so much fun with my primary and secondary, I don't know when I'll get to play the new character. So she may not be out of the wings for a while.

Hey look! Jessyka!

The Alliancewide race packet has been written and sent to the appropriate authorities. Very little of the above description remains in its unedited form, a lot has been enhanced and changed, so we'll see what the actual rulebook says.

She carved the toes out of actual wood and put bark all over the boots, or fur for the satyr/faun.

Also, the horns aren't so heavy if they are on with a cord AND the bandanna thing.

Glad the pics helped, though I know its just one person's view on dryads. I wasn't going to go that way (I like darker forest stuff rather than cutesy) but its certainly an idea.

Back