Political Thread (Ignore if you hate politics)

Here's my impression of a standard Republican:

"People who are poor or have to declare bankruptcy should deal with it; it's their own fault. The opportunities are out there and government shouldn't be giving them handouts."

"Businesses who are poor or have to declare bankruptcy need our help; it's not their own fault. The opportunities aren't out there so government should be giving them handouts."

Thank you, thank you. Be sure to tip your waitress.

In response to these two quotes, I believe that if the government had the money, it would be great to have government handouts for people in need - provided we didn't start rewarding foolish investing, bad business, or the like. To some degree, it is a survival of the fittest economy, and if a business can't compete, it's time for it to go. That being said, I don't think that people should starve when their business goes under. A type of program that helps out needy people, not businesses, would be great, but isn't that what Welfare is for? Now, I also have some problems with the welfare system, namely people who have become complacent in their role as a welfare recipient (I know some people who no longer look for work and have simply accepted that they will recieve welfare to live on). I don't think, that this is right - Welfare should be a transitionary stipend, a push to get someone back on their feet and finding better work. As it is now, welfare has grown out of control to a point where I believe the US budget (already in a massive defecit and adding to our monstrous debt) can't handle it.

That's my two cents, sorry if I've derailed the question from your intention.

-Tim

Nah, I'm just pointing out hypocricy.

As for welfare, the US spends approximately $20 billion a year on welfare programs (food stamps, housing vouchers, medical assistance, etc).

This bailout has, so far, cost us $1 TRILLION dollars. Of course, many millions of that go to the CEOs of these places who get great "bailouts" paid by us, even though the business ran into the ground. (But since it goes to rich people it's apparently not "welfare").

Add onto that the trillion we have spent on the war so far.

So apparently there is not a problem with spending us into the hugest debt the US has ever seen -- just as long as, god forbid, we don't do it helping people in need.

not a fan of generalizations. most rebublicans i know, including myself, don't like corporate welfare, we want less government.

when i first read about the bailout i was pissed. my first reaction is let wallstreet fall. see what happens and pick up the pieces. but, i wanted to know more so i asked a friend of mine who knows alot more about this, "what would happen if the government didn't step in?" he posted the following on another board i frequent. it's a good read, and very informative.

This is a really difficuly question you are asking, and no one really knows what the fall out would be at least in $ amts. It WOULD be bad however.

I am no global economist, but I do have a background in some of this stuff.

Here is a few things that I think most Americans do not understand when looking at this issue.

Lending in this country is never done over the "long term". No mortgage company takes all of their money, lends it out to people and then sits back and waits to collect the monthly payments. A portion of their portfolios are made of of this but MOST is meant to be liquid and easily transferable. It is a commodity similar to say a bond issued by At&T or GM etc.

So, a bank does not have access to unlimited capital to lend. What basically happens is that they lend you, lets say, $200,000 at 6% interest. Now being that said loan is worth something (a 6% return on investment annually for life of the note..in this case 30 years) it is marketable. Now what happens is another firm or investor is willing to pay for said item. So a bank can lend the money, hold the paper for a short term (say 3-4 months) and then sell it to said investor for lets say $210,000. This is a win for the bank since they have made 10k real quick, transfered their risk, and reclaimed the initial capital (the 200k) to reinvest..or to better state it..re-loan. It is a win for the investor (assuming the note does not default) since they bought a security for 210k that if they hold to maturity will pay them over $400,000. So this 'sale of assets" happens many times throughout the "life" of the note. Now the main thing to remember is no one is looking to hold a majority of their portfolio in long term illiquid assets. So look at it this way, PNC Bank does a mortgage for you...PNC then sells said mortgage to Lehman. Lehman moves cash investments from borrowers to pensions or retirement plans by having the pension plan "buy" the mortgage. So you are left with an MBS (mortgage backed security) now supporting a portion your retirement, same as say a stock or bond. This is fine as well and is (was) common practice.

Now the main thing to remember here is that interest rates are based ONE thing only. RISK. There are many things that attribute to risk (credit income etc etc) but the bottom line is someone is taking on a level of risk and expects a return for that risk. Mortgages are not bought and sold individually but in bulk, based on credit risk. So your $200,000 mortgage in this example is actually bulked in with other borrowers loans of the same type and level of risk and then sold in a "block" of lets say 10 million a piece. Now the thing that most people miss in this equation is that the main risk factor that influences pricing on home loans is NOT credit but how much you are borrowing in relation to the value of the home.

So lets say that $200,000 was lent on a $250,000 house (80%), and was priced at 6%. Now that pricing also takes into consideration an expected increase in that home's value of the course of time (usually about 4%-5% per year). Now prices are not rising but FALLING. Now said mortgage is a $200,000 note that is securitized by a house that has decreased in value to $220,000. The "pricing" on the note is no longer valid, since the collaterial for the loan is worth less, and therefore the loan presents a higher risk. But this is now systematic of the entire BLOCK of loans, all 10mil worth (in this example). these loans are not worth money now. They would have to be sold below par, meaning LESS than face value. But how do you know what to pay for them. Housing keeps decreasing, the 'risk" on that block keeps gettig higher (from both decreasing values AND an increase in rate of default), but the rate of return stays the same. So investors (or BUYERS) hedge on these purchases, or just stay away. These securities become non-liquid. Sale on them becomes stagnant and, if you can sell them, it is at a deep loss.

So the problem comes in that these banks cannot "turn these over". They are stuck with them. Now again they do not have an unlimited supply of funds. Their ability for future lending relies on the fact that they can transfer and recoup the funds they just lent. If they can't do this they have no more money to lend. From an investor standpoint, like a Lehman, they now have "bad" assets on their books that they again cannot sell. If they are weighted to heavily in these, they now have a major liquidity problem. Market investors see this and sell off stock, or refuse to buy, since they are aware that some of these "balance sheet assets" should really be classified as "liabilities".

Wells Fargo is a prime example of this ****. If you look at their 2nd quarter earnings when they were released it looked great. Stock went up right after the announcement etc etc. But when you break the numbers down all they did was creative accounting. They "re-classified" a bad mortgage from one being 90+ days deliquent to one being 180+(or it might have been 120+) days deliquent. This allowed for billions of dollars in bad loans to still be classified as an asset. Not to mention the 80+ billion dollars in HELOC's that they hold currently that they are classifing at (basically) face value, but yet would not be able to sell for any more than 7 cents on the dollar.

This is toxic paper, and it is basically worthless in the market as it stands today. So the Govt plan is to buy this paper, allowing these guys to get it off their books, which in turn will allow for increased confidence in the market, reinvestment into these firms (ie people will buy stock again), and immediate capital (from selling this paper) which will allow for them to start lending again at a bigger clip.

I have not made my mind up on this plan yet since I need to see the particualrs. If this is done right, the tax payer may not have to foot the bulk of the bill on this. The govt may be able to gather the money needed by issuing new debt (treasury bills) acquire the "bad" loans. If the market corrects itself these "bad" loans will become marketable again, and can be sold off to retire the debt that was incured. If it is done wrong, the govt is going to be stuck holding a ton of paper that is worth nothing, and eventually wind up in the real estate market cause they are going to own a lot of foreclosed homes.

Here are the things to look out for in the plan when it is proposed:

1. What is the govt. paying for the debt they are acquiring, or better put what is the face value of the debt. So if they spend 100 billion on this debt, and it's face value is lets say 800 billion this might not be that bad, since they have a lot of breathing room. If it is 100 billion to buy 150 billion at face than this is nothing but a fre pass for these companies.

2. How does the govt plan to fund the initial purchase of this debt.

3. What classifies as a "bad debt" to be purchased. This was a major problem with Fannie. Fannie claims to only have 750 billion in sup prime loans verses a 6 trillion dollar pool of paper. Trust me this is ******** (see wells fargo example--except 10 times as bad). We need to make sure that we are getting the bad debt out of the market, not just a small portion of it.

4. what are the long term plans for offloading the debt

5. What benefits will the homeowner get directly from this bill. If the govt is going to allow for these homeowners to modify their payments, or streamline over into, say an FHA loan, with very little probelms, then there may be a benefit. If it is going to have provisions like that housing bill from a few months ago, where there were SO MANY requirements to meet to get the help needed that honestly only about 1 in 15 homeowners would benefit from it, than it is useless on this level. All the govt will be doing at that point is acquiring foreclosed property and selling it a huge discount, which will only push values down further. First rule of thumb in mortgage lending..we don't want your house, we want your money.

6. What provisions are going into place to insure this does not happen again.

These are very simplified examples of what the problems are. There is a lot more to it, and i don't understand all of it either, but hopefully this gives you an idea of why they are looking at this plan.

Honestly, I understand that the plan is sound in theory, I still dislike the fact that it is needed in the first place. The banking system held out the money and gave it to people who couldn't afford to borrow it. They took on too much risk. It was foolish on the part of the lenders and the borrowers.

I am not going to say I fully understand the global ramifications, but it does have some pretty far sweeping effects. The money and companies failing in the US can push the world economy down and something needs to be done. Is it a multi-trillion dollar bailout of the bad debt and high risk loans? Frankly, I don't know. I do know I don't like the idea.

Real wages have been dropping for the large majority of Americans, National debt is at all time highs, we're spending hundreds of billions of dollars on a war we shouldn't have started in the first place (yes, blatant opinion), and our infrastructure and financial systems are in a crisis to the depths we have not seen in generations. You want to get the people back on their feet? Start rebuilding the USA. Take the funding for infrastructure improvements out of earmarks and put it out there for real. Pay hundreds of billions of dollars on our own country instead of Iraq and I can pretty much guarantee you we'll start to see people have the money to be able to afford their houses again.

doverman said:
Honestly, I understand that the plan is sound in theory, I still dislike the fact that it is needed in the first place. The banking system held out the money and gave it to people who couldn't afford to borrow it. They took on too much risk. It was foolish on the part of the lenders and the borrowers.

I agree with disliking the necessity, but I believe that the consequences of allowing the institutions in question to collapse are worse.

Robb Graves said:
Here is a few things that I think most Americans do not understand when looking at this issue.

Thanks for taking the time to post this huge article, Rob. Seriously, I am a dunce when it comes to economics and have been having trouble wading through the media reports on the bail out. It's interesting to hear how this is actually supposed to work.

Ren Suzume said:
Thanks for taking the time to post this huge article, Rob. Seriously, I am a dunce when it comes to economics and have been having trouble wading through the media reports on the bail out. It's interesting to hear how this is actually supposed to work.

no problem. i was very greatful he took the time to write all of it out. I just really hope (© obama 2008) that they don't screw this up like everything else they touch. i just have a bad feeling about it.

Rob,

That was as well reasoned out an explanation and opinion as I have ever seen when Politics-Economics was discussed on these boards. It was an enjoyable, informative read good sir!

Thanks,

Paul

well honestly i think there are no republicans and democrats anymore...i mean honestly...there are STAUNCH born and bred republicans right here in my office who differ from my beliefs on a HUGE SCALE and i think "uhhh we're both republicans??? what the heck???"

another thing is that alot of the republicans are voting for dinglefritz because he chose Palin as a vice...HONESTLY!!! besides shooting his best friend in the face do you ever even SEE OR HEAR ABOUT the vice president??? I mean short of an assassination of the president or untimely death why would you vote for someone because of who he picked for his VICE??? (alarming!)

one thing i will say is this...i believe there should be a NO CONFIDENCE vote that we can check and if a significant portion of the population votes NO CONFIDENCE then both candidates are taken off the ballot and cannot return to the ballot EVER again adn we get two new people...

as for the bailing out...i'm too poor to care...I mean really if the government had not bailed out those HUGE insurance companies and a HUGE number of semi-rich people were to lose a ton of their money...ummmmmm yeah....with the not caring....

welfare...thats broken...needs to be tossed out and a new program made..but then again alot of america's systems are broken and they can't all be fixed and no president is gonna fix stuff...

here's another thing I think about often and perhaps some of you more politically minded could help me out.....america votes for a president based on the fact of what he/she/it is gonna do....ie: no taxes, gay marriage, abortion, economy, etc...blah blah blah............but isn't it the government that does that? i feel like the leader of the free world is more like a liaison? an icon? scapegoat? like the representative? like i want him/her/it to be able to go to other countries and not make us look like idiots...for instance going to war was probably not bush's idea it probably was just that he was the one that had to stand up and own it...his cabinet/military peeps probably were the advisors there right? I COULD BE WRONG i'm just wondering why we don't vote for say...a talk show host instead of a person promising a bunch of stuff....like i'd vote for barbara walters or something like that..someone well spoken and holds themselves well...because how much power does the president really have? perhaps someone here can enlighten me?

that is a very large topic. the powers of the presidency are pretty large (and getting larger).

as a quick answer, yes, congress is the real power because you can vote for your state reps and senators and call thier offices and bitch at them, and they can vote for or against the legislation you like/dislike and therefore you have some influence. and waaaaay not enough people pay attention tot he congressional reaces. they all like to lay blame at the feet of the president and his administration... when congress at any time could stop anything the president does basically.

i know the president can only veto something 3 times and then if it passes the two houses the fourth time he cannot veto it again so technically....shouldn't we be more up in arms about our local gov?

Robb Graves said:
that is a very large topic. the powers of the presidency are pretty large (and getting larger).

as a quick answer, yes, congress is the real power because you can vote for your state reps and senators and call thier offices and bitch at them, and they can vote for or against the legislation you like/dislike and therefore you have some influence. and waaaaay not enough people pay attention tot he congressional reaces. they all like to lay blame at the feet of the president and his administration... when congress at any time could stop anything the president does basically.

Really, this is what makes me most unhappy about our defacto two party system. It enables the parties to hold unpopular positions on issues and vote them without fear of public backlash as even if some individuals get recalled, the party as a whole will still be able to push the platform.

Here's what a REAL Republican should sound like when he/she talks about this bailout:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv6rQ0U01Yc[/youtube]

You don't have to agree with Ron Paul on everything, but he has been talking about these financial problems since at least the 70's. He has basically called these problems as unfortunate as they are. RP has been on a lot of news shows over the past week talking about the bailout (I have more links!), and he has been spot on in all he's had to say about it.

I switched from unaffiliated to Republican to vote for RP in the PA primaries when he was running for President. I will probably stay Republican at this point, even though I agree with practically nothing the majority of Republicans in power believe in. I'm especially disgusted how they continue to trample on The Constitution (Dems & Reps alike). Guess I'll just hold on to the hope that the party will return to its Jeffersonian roots.

BTW--if you feel that this bailout is a BAD idea then CALL YOUR LOCAL CONGRESSMAN! Don't sit idlely by as our country continues to go down the tubes.

$700,000,000,000 (700 billion dollar bailout right?)
228,750,000 people over the ages of 18 in US
$3060.11 each ...right?? sounds good to me! My math might be off. Not even sure my calculator goes to 700 billion but i think i may have this right.

sorry...the bailout by Mr. Bush is semi-political in subject isn't it? i thought I'd just comment on it...I think its funny that he's putting another 700 billion dollar deficit on the country RIGHT before he skips out and leaves it to obama or mccain poor fellers...

isn't it 700 billion? maybe i'm off here...it was 85 billion just for the AIG bailout i thought...

::rolls eyes:: you realise bush has little to nothing to do with this right?

This is Paulson's plan. yes, Paulson is in the "Bush Administration" but it's Paulson and congress who are working out the plan. Too many Americans blame bush for **** that is congress' fault. Bush is really not that smart and shouldn't get credit for all of these things. Regardless of if he really was as bad as many people say, wouldn't congress have been able to easily impeach him by now? Let's forget that the wallstreet issues have been brewing for years. That Clinton himself has stated he wanted to fix the problems while in office but there was too much Democrat opposition in congress to make any major reforms.

anyway, not bashing you personally Tzydl Zhitelava, I just see alot of very slanted info out there made up just to blame the wrong people.

I "?" you earlier cause i wasn't sure what you meant by "$3060.11 each ...right?? sounds good to me! "

Back